Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
The only reason this is even a "current vs. 2 year old" discussion is because the car didn't come out earlier. Ford could have slapped the supercharger on in 2016 and it would have set the same time. They just chose not to, but that doesn't mean they are behind in technology.

And last I checked, the PP2 Mustang is a full second quicker than the SS1LE on the same track.

Also, comparing it to a car that's 700lbs lighter and in a completely different category is not really a proper comparison in terms of which chassis is better. They each were designed for different purposes eg. rental car vs. flagship car.
What track is that? Every comparison I've seen has the 1LE faster than the PP2. Actually, I think the 1LE is faster than the gt350 too on the same track so not sure how a PP2 would be faster
Sponsored

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
What track is that? Every comparison I've seen has the 1LE faster than the PP2. Actually, I think the 1LE is faster than the gt350 too on the same track so not sure how a PP2 would be faster
#54 and #59 on that same list:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

I've also seen results like you've mentioned. It appears to be a driver's race between the 3 cars. It definitely is between mere mortals on trackdays I've driven.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The lighting lap that is referenced in this post.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Really nice lap. Smoking fast laps without having to beat the Sh!t out of you to accomplish it.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
#54 and #59 on that same list:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

I've also seen results like you've mentioned. It appears to be a driver's race between the 3 cars. It definitely is between mere mortals on trackdays I've driven.
That's interesting but yeah at my local HPDE track, the SS 1LE and GT350 are really close. I've never seen a PP2 on track so I just figured they would be slower than both 350 and the 1LE

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's interesting but yeah at my local HPDE track, the SS 1LE and GT350 are really close.
Unless it's driven by the same guy, you can't really compare random HPDE drivers and their cars. Skills vary greatly in those events.

I mean, I saw a clapped out Integra pass a GT3 several times in a session...does that mean a 20 year old Acura econobox is faster than the pinnacle of Porsche performance ?

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Unless it's driven by the same guy, you can't really compare random HPDE drivers and their cars. Skills vary greatly in those events.

I mean, I saw a clapped out Integra pass a GT3 several times in a session...does that mean a 20 year old Acura econobox is faster than the pinnacle of Porsche performance ?
Both driven by me :)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

I agree, and you can say the same about automotive journalists. To do it right, the same person, under the same conditions should be driving. I don't know why Ford never released their numbers from VIR during their testing. With Billy at the wheel, I think you would get a true representation of what the car really is capable of.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think the GT500 is doing great. But it's crazy how good Z06 und ZL1 1LE are when the Shelby has so much more horsepower.

ALso the C8 did an impressive time for just a Z51 with street tires, even beating the Cayman GT4 (which has less hp, but also way less weigth). With proper track tires and adjustments, the potential is huge

Sponsored
OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10

Yep, my son passed a GT500 and a C7ZR1 in green group with his 275hp car! Just means those guys are spooked about wrecking their cars and need seat time to get comfortable. An 18 year old male naturally just sends it head first.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think the GT500 is doing great. But it's crazy how good Z06 und ZL1 1LE are when the Shelby has so much more horsepower.
Probably because, as many people already say, that power isn't *that* important in road racing and that chassis, suspension, brakes, tires and driver are much more important. Also the GT500 is a good 3-400lbs heavier than the ZL1 and over 700lbs heavier than the Z06. So power to weight ratio is much closer between those 3.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Dang you gangsta then.

Also the PP2 is pretty close to the GT350, especially on shorter tracks where the extra top end hp doesn't make much difference.
Nah, just lucky enough to know someone who has a gt350 and let's me thrash it sometimes.

I want to try a PP2 next but I don't know anyone that has one. My local track is pretty tight and not a very long straight so I would expect the PP2 to be right there with the other two.

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Nah, just lucky enough to know someone who has a gt350 and let's me thrash it sometimes.

I want to try a PP2 next but I don't know anyone that has one. My local track is pretty tight and not a very long straight so I would expect the PP2 to be right there with the other two.
There's a guy with a 5.0 with probably similar mods to a PP2 that ran a 1:44s at MSR Houston CW. That is scorching fast for that car. I know a fast guy with an SS1LE that is only running 1:46s out there.

As a reference, I'm starting to get dialed in to the ZLE and running 1:43s out there (goal is 1:39s... so far away). So a lightly modded 5.0 with a better driver is right there with me. It's all about skill and balls when it comes to laptimes!!

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
There's a guy with a 5.0 with probably similar mods to a PP2 that ran a 1:44s at MSR Houston CW. That is scorching fast for that car. I know a fast guy with an SS1LE that is only running 1:46s out there.

As a reference, I'm starting to get dialed in to the ZLE and running 1:43s out there (goal is 1:39s... so far away). So a lightly modded 5.0 with a better driver is right there with me. It's all about skill and balls when it comes to laptimes!!
I've never been to MSR Houston but eventually will. I'm in the DFW so I go out to Cresson and Eagles Canyon but MSR and COTA are on the list! Maybe I'll run into some of you guys out there one day, keep an eye out for a red 1LE haha
Sponsored