Sponsored
OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I've never been to MSR Houston but eventually will. I'm in the DFW so I go out to Cresson and Eagles Canyon but MSR and COTA are on the list! Maybe I'll run into some of you guys out there one day, keep an eye out for a red 1LE haha
I'll be up there at some point. Just been focusing on MSRH. Trying to hit that 1:39s lap! Keep an eye out for a satin steel gray ZLE and my son's orange turbo 1le.
Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'll be up there at some point. Just been focusing on MSRH. Trying to hit that 1:39s lap! Keep an eye out for a satin steel gray ZLE and my son's orange turbo 1le.
Have fun! That's pretty cool, among us three, we have all 3 models of 1LE. If I see y'all, I'll come say hey.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Forget the $18,000 sticker to sticker delta between a GT500 CFTP vs ZL1/1LE. Most folks purchased their GT500 at massive ADM's over sticker. Put that into equation and the GT500 'value' quotient 'on track' becomes non-existent.

The Camaro still has the leg up with the brilliant Alpha chassis. If you put the 755 LT5 motor from the ZR1 into the Camaro then the GT500 will need manhood counselling with that combo.

The impressive feat of the ZL1/1LE is the fact that with 'only' 650hp' to the rear wheels with back seats + manual option - it manages to be within a hair of the GT500 CFTP. Honestly - with a hint of tailwind on a given day - the ZL1/1LE paired with a good driver would fare better.Testament to the tremendous job by GM's chassis and calibration engineers.

All that being said - debating between the two marques is a case of Horses for Causes.

The GT500 still does a tremendous job bridging the street + track quotient way better than the ZL1/1LE. Give credit where it's due - Ford Performance made a pig do ballet.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I think the GT500 is doing great. But it's crazy how good Z06 und ZL1 1LE are when the Shelby has so much more horsepower.

ALso the C8 did an impressive time for just a Z51 with street tires, even beating the Cayman GT4 (which has less hp, but also way less weigth). With proper track tires and adjustments, the potential is huge
Yeah.....the C8 is a machine. It's going to be bonkers once the higher-powered variants come out...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
+$18,000, +110HP, +CFTP goodies and the best it could do was 0.4 seconds against a 2 year old A10 ZL1/1LE. Goes to show how superior the Alpha chassis is.

Also notable that the GT500 with all this firepower only set the same time as a +5 year old C7 Z06.

This proves GM is king when it comes to chassis development.
This proves yet again GM kids cant accept a loss, not matter how much the loss was deserved.. And ill wait for the inevitable "jUsT wAiT" for the new 2020 ME C8 to do some laps.. oh wait, i meant "jUsT wAiT" for the 2024 C8 z06 ($145k as tested) to do a 1 lap wonder and still fall just short.. and then the inevitable retest with GM's entire race staff on hand to dial it in.. to do .01 better to secure the crown in a devastating defeat of the Shelby Killer!

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
This proves yet again GM kids cant accept a loss, not matter how much the loss was deserved.. And ill wait for the inevitable "jUsT wAiT" for the new 2020 ME C8 to do some laps.. oh wait, i meant "jUsT wAiT" for the 2024 C8 z06 ($145k as tested) to do a 1 lap wonder and still fall just short.. and then the inevitable retest with GM's entire race staff on hand to dial it in.. to do .01 better to secure the crown in a devastating defeat of the Shelby Killer!
Eh, they are just seeing it from their point of view. Since I have a Mustang GT that I love and think highly of the GT500, and I am in the process of buying a ZL1 (built last week), I'm about as unbiased on this as anyone really can be. I will preface this by saying if cost were no object, yes, I'd rather have a GT500 over a ZL1. However, cost is a factor, and I'm able to get a '21 ZL1 built how I want for under msrp. Most base GT500s msrp for almost $80k including gas guzzler with the tech. package, and with ADM pushing prices even higher, which makes the ZL1 a better buy for the money, at least to me, and I don't feel like I'm compromising anything except some hp, but the ZL1 is ~250 lbs lighter than the base GT500 so I'm fine with that.

That said, I think the fact the GT500 CFTP barely beat the ZLE (although not same day, so we don't know the actual difference if the two cars were run back to back), for almost $20k more $$ msrp to msrp, not including ADM and the fact that the ZLE can easily be had for under msrp, is a moral victory for team Camaro. Imagine spending that much money on a CFTP (msrp+ADM) only to be 0.4 seconds ahead of the competition? It's a win, but not a great win for the CFTP, esp. considering they generally have large ADMs. In fact, the ZLE was actually ahead going into the last turn (last turn requiring brakes, for clarity); I clipped a couple of frames from each hot lap of the two cars below for reference. The GT500 won because it accelerates harder in the straights and the ZLE driver went into the turn too slow (look at the speed differences), hurting the ZLE's finishing time. Now, I realize the ride quality of the GT500 CFTP is more compliant than the ZLE's and GT500 owners will argue that. But, these cars are driven the way the factory made them, so they are what they are.

Anyway, that is my unbiased view.

1612714420740.png

1612714361404.png

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Haha, I would hope a brand new gt500 would beat a ZL1 considering it's been out for years now. You're delusional if you think a C8Z is gonna have any trouble beating a GT500 around a road course considering it couldn't even beat the C7Z. Both are making good cars but it's obvious GM is ahead of Ford.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If track performance/value are you pony car metrics then the ZLE takes the cake. It is a bonafide beast. If you are committed to buying blue oval however, the '20 GT500 does an admirable job considering its additional heft. I wish the GT500 was lighter and less expensive but it simply didn't work out that way. At least the Phatass500 slayed the beast. I can work with that.

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
If track performance/value are you pony car metrics then the ZLE takes the cake. It is a bonafide beast. If you are committed to buying blue oval however, the '20 GT500 does an admirable job considering its additional heft. I wish the GT500 was lighter and less expensive but it simply didn't work out that way. At least the Phatass500 slayed the beast. I can work with that.
500 CFTP does it all very, very well: lap times, drag times, and daily drive comfort.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Forget the $18,000 sticker to sticker delta between a GT500 CFTP vs ZL1/1LE. Most folks purchased their GT500 at massive ADM's over sticker. Put that into equation and the GT500 'value' quotient 'on track' becomes non-existent.

The Camaro still has the leg up with the brilliant Alpha chassis. If you put the 755 LT5 motor from the ZR1 into the Camaro then the GT500 will need manhood counselling with that combo.

The impressive feat of the ZL1/1LE is the fact that with 'only' 650hp' to the rear wheels with back seats + manual option - it manages to be within a hair of the GT500 CFTP. Honestly - with a hint of tailwind on a given day - the ZL1/1LE paired with a good driver would fare better.Testament to the tremendous job by GM's chassis and calibration engineers.

All that being said - debating between the two marques is a case of Horses for Causes.

The GT500 still does a tremendous job bridging the street + track quotient way better than the ZL1/1LE. Give credit where it's due - Ford Performance made a pig do ballet.
If they would only do this or that...LOL. GM has to first get a set of bigger balls to do that. And right now "Government Motors" balls are in kamala's purse for the next 4 years.
Sponsored