Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The ZLE lap time is from a manual guys. I wouldn’t put the GT500 CFTP ahead of ZLE without knowing the 10 speed auto version being faster. We are also talking about 0.46 seconds difference between a DCT GT500 CFTP versus manual transmission ZLE. It’s still pretty good time for the GT500 CFTP though.
Sponsored

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
The ZLE lap time is from a manual guys. I wouldn’t put the GT500 CFTP ahead of ZLE without knowing the 10 speed auto version being faster. We are also talking about 0.46 seconds difference between a DCT GT500 CFTP versus manual transmission ZLE. It’s still pretty good time for the GT500 CFTP though.
Auto on a road course isnt nearly the advantage on a drag stip. I highly doubt the A10 was any faster. Also Laguna Seca is a tight small course. Any course with long straights the GT500 will do better and better.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Auto on a road course isnt nearly the advantage on a drag stip. I highly doubt the A10 was any faster. Also Laguna Seca is a tight small course. Any course with long straights the GT500 will do better and better.
Agreed. If anything, Laguna Seca is where the 1LE should've shined. Most other popular road courses like VIR would favor the GT500.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think if Ford made enough of them to keep dealers from gouging the **** out of their loyal customers, and instead of $15k carbon fiber wheels, they went with lightweight forged wheels that are a couple lbs heavier (and saved $10k in the process), all the sudden a $105k car, starts to cost around $80k or so and THAT would be a badass value.
Sounds like the non-CFTP GT500...

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
The 500 could actually win this thing. I expected it to be the gt4, but there were some complaints that surprised me.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Of course it's heavier than smaller-engined Mustangs with less capable suspensions. The Ford engineers made it that way. However, the weight seems comparable to the M6/M8, AMG C63; i.e., other (non-sibling) cars in its class.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
This is true. Based on a number of similar threads, a rather disturbing number of GT350's get more than just lap times - lengthy staycations at a nearby Ford dealer. Every time I check into the GT350 forums I see threads like these...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/new-2020-gt350-hep-engine-failure.152495/

I don't want to see these types of failures but yet there they are.
As much as I loved the 350R, the reliability is a huge issue. Other than my own experiences (2x engines replaced) I've known so many ppl I've met at the track and car meets about engine replacements (far, far more proportionately vs the M3 rod bearing "issue" with the S65 V8 engine). Ford has stepped up and made most ppl whole (kudos to them), which is great, but I think there are some flaws to the FPC design in general. Almost all the failures I know of were ppl who track car heavily.

Seems like the 500 will be more reliable but the lack of warranty with explicit full track support is a problem and would be a deal killer for me personally.

Last edited:

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Weight matters more on more technical sections of track or tracks that have auto-x like characteristics. For a GP or GP like track where power rules and the turns are mostly high speed, weight is less of an issue (in terms of feeling). For technical tracks, the weight can really be felt and just puts a damper on the overall experience. From personal experience, is way more fun/rewarding to have a lighter car on a tighter more technical track even though the ultimate time may not be all that different.