OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
To be fair, you are not really going to make anything on a tune only, on pump gas with a GEN3 engine. Ford tuned it pretty close to the edge. And remember you can only advance the timing such that the fuel can support it. I wouldn't blame Lund for that. Your other concerns seem like they might be valid and worth prodding Lund to help make it better. If you want to see a real increase - E85. Tune.
Are you calling them liars?
I sincerely don’t know why you wouldn’t blame them for that. They’re selling a performance tune.

Their web site is a joke and in fairness, I didn’t see any claims about actual performance improvements.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I spoke with Lund and with a local Mustang tuner about a year ago about tunes and both independently pretty much said the only things you can do with these 2018+ Coyotes to get a noticeable improvement is an E85 or flex tune, or long tubes. Most folks here on 6G would probably echo that from their own experiences. However, I would definitely add the 4.09's as something that makes a noticeable difference, as long as you 2019+ guys can hopefully eventually get some resolution on the electronics issues.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Are you calling them liars?
I sincerely don’t know why you wouldn’t blame them for that. They’re selling a performance tune.

Their web site is a joke and in fairness, I didn’t see any claims about actual performance improvements.
No but this is just the case of not being informed. Gen2 Coyote is different. You can pick up 20-30whp with just a tune on 93 octane. 2018+ not so much. However, 2018+ can achieve huge gains with just E85. This is pretty common knowledge on this forum at this point so I'm not sharing anything that isn't already out there.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
No but this is just the case of not being informed. Gen2 Coyote is different. You can pick up 20-30whp with just a tune on 93 octane. 2018+ not so much. However, 2018+ can achieve huge gains with just E85. This is pretty common knowledge on this forum at this point so I'm not sharing anything that isn't already out there.
Correct, tune for e85 and light bolt ons / supporting mods you're looking around 500whp on gen3. On pump could add long tubes and tune for them and see a decent gain as well but octane limited.

As far as your experience with the tuner sorry to hear that. I personally use AED and there you work with the tuner Shaun directly, and will revise or customize most things within reason. I was under the impression Lund service staff would do similar though do not have first hand experience.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really don’t follow your logic here. You think tuners should be excused for selling performance tunes that don’t improve performance because people should know better? That doesn’t sound right to me.

I wasn’t looking for 50hp. I just figured that if I had to fork over the cash for the tune to correct the ratio and restore the stock rev matching, at least it would run better too. A little more power, sharper throttle response?

You'll have to excuse me for rolling my eyes when these modest expectations were not met. Again, the whole experience has the feel of a C+ effort, for a C+ product right down to their C+ web page.

I’m also a little confused by why Alex (the YDB guy) is allowed to represent the company. He’s super smart with tuning these engines (at least it sounds that way to me) but his sense of humor is seriously unprofessional and juvenile. It makes me think Lund is not a serious company.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been happy with the various tunes from Unleashed. I *HATE* twitchy throttles though the A10 crowd seems convinced it's cool to have a light switch under their foot. I haven't done dyno pulls before/after so make no claims as to improvements to max output. But what Torrie does is fix the cleanness of the engine pull and power delivery. It's noticeable and very welcome.

I'd ask for my money back frankly - Lund don't seem all that interested in spending any time figuring out how to solve your problem; ie. do the first guess and if that doesn't work, so solly. Ring up Unleashed and ask him point blank how (if) he can help you. I think you'll find the experience far superior.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Well, I'd rather work with them to make it right. I believe they have earned that chance and I haven't given up on them.
Has Lund stated they will keep working on your issue?

When you buy a Lund tune you get 6 months of support/revisions as stated on the Lund website:

This service entitles you to 6 months of support for your tune purchase. It includes the follow services:
  • Rear Gear and/or Rear Tire size changes
IMO you can either take a chance that Lund will find a solution within 6 months or ask for a refund now. But to be fair you have to give Lund 6 months before bitching considering you're sailing in uncharted waters.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
No

Lund specifically told him he would keep his rev match and not have any codes.

Lund's first tune threw codes

He lost his rev match and most likely lost his powertrain warranty.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The car feeling flat is probably advancetrac pulling power, I've done some messing around with it, and if I switch it to sport mode then magically I can actually feel the tire slip that the car was pulling power for to begin with. Especially since you have a base model and you upped to 4.09 gears, you're probably overwhelming the stock tires pretty badly.

Not saying that excuses Lund basically shrugging their shoulders, but it's worth considering if you feel you haven't really saw any gains. As far as the rev matching not working right though, that's a different story entirely. According to the other thread, Steeda's tune completely resolved the same issue and rev match works properly. So sounds to me like Lund didn't edit the right tables, or didn't put in the correction factor needed to allow the PCM to know which RPM the next gear should require based on wheel speed. This can also affect performance of the advance trac system if it's off and cause the car to pull power.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Stock tires w/4.09.1 gear?

Sponsored
OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Lund stated they will keep working on your issue?

When you buy a Lund tune you get 6 months of support/revisions as stated on the Lund website:

This service entitles you to 6 months of support for your tune purchase. It includes the follow services:
  • Rear Gear and/or Rear Tire size changes
IMO you can either take a chance that Lund will find a solution within 6 months or ask for a refund now. But to be fair you have to give Lund 6 months before bitching considering you're sailing in uncharted waters.
This is a really good point. I have had an open conversation with the particular tune writer who replied to my request but they do have a formal process for tune corrections and I should give that a try. Thanks.

No

Lund specifically told him he would keep his rev match and not have any codes.

Lund's first tune threw codes

He lost his rev match and most likely lost his powertrain warranty.
You're not wrong here but I should clarify that the rev match does work...it's just out of tune.
Since they revised the tune, no codes so they made good on that one (after serious frustration and some labor on my part).

The car feeling flat is probably advancetrac pulling power, I've done some messing around with it, and if I switch it to sport mode then magically I can actually feel the tire slip that the car was pulling power for to begin with. Especially since you have a base model and you upped to 4.09 gears, you're probably overwhelming the stock tires pretty badly.

Not saying that excuses Lund basically shrugging their shoulders, but it's worth considering if you feel you haven't really saw any gains...
Really good point here. This could possibly, maybe explain it. I didn't think of this since there was no flashing traction control light on the dash during those "flat" moments but that's not necessarily the case if Advancetrac is pulling power, right?

I appreciate that suggestion and I wish Lund rep was paying enough attention to mention that.
I am on 200 treadwear 285/35/19s but your point stands.

As far as the rev matching not working right though, that's a different story entirely. According to the other thread, Steeda's tune completely resolved the same issue and rev match works properly. So sounds to me like Lund didn't edit the right tables, or didn't put in the correction factor needed to allow the PCM to know which RPM the next gear should require based on wheel speed. This can also affect performance of the advance trac system if it's off and cause the car to pull power.
Thanks. I'll check out the Steeda thread.

Stock tires w/4.09.1 gear?
LOL... NO but it's a very fair question. :D
I kept the 285 RE-11s from my S197 and I figured I would use those up before getting fresh rubber next spring. The RE-11s have ~30% meat left on them and those tires were known to remain grippy throughout their lifespan but they are 5-6 years old (the S197 was parked in the garage during the winter). These tires are not optimal but they are WAY better than the stock no-season 235 Pirellis that came on the car. Even the 3.55s would overwhelm those.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is a really good point. I have had an open conversation with the particular tune writer who replied to my request but they do have a formal process for tune corrections and I should give that a try. Thanks.

You're not wrong here but I should clarify that the rev match does work...it's just out of tune.
Since they revised the tune, no codes so they made good on that one (after serious frustration and some labor on my part).

Really good point here. This could possibly, maybe explain it. I didn't think of this since there was no flashing traction control light on the dash during those "flat" moments but that's not necessarily the case if Advancetrac is pulling power, right?

I appreciate that suggestion and I wish Lund rep was paying enough attention to mention that.
I am on 200 treadwear 285/35/19s but your point stands.

Thanks. I'll check out the Steeda thread.

LOL... NO but it's a very fair question. :D
I kept the 285 RE-11s from my S197 and I figured I would use those up before getting fresh rubber next spring. The RE-11s have ~30% meat left on them and those tires were known to remain grippy throughout their lifespan but they are 5-6 years old (the S197 was parked in the garage during the winter). These tires are not optimal but they are WAY better than the stock no-season 235 Pirellis that came on the car. Even the 3.55s would overwhelm those.
Advancetrac never flashes on my car when it's pulling power. You have to be full on wheel spin or spinning out to get the light to flash. Just little bits here and there that the car is catching it will do without warning. Double press the traction control button to enter "sport mode" and youll feel it, if its spinning since the nannies interfere less.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I’m also a little confused by why Alex (the YDB guy) is allowed to represent the company. He’s super smart with tuning these engines (at least it sounds that way to me) but his sense of humor is seriously unprofessional and juvenile. It makes me think Lund is not a serious company.
First off, he's smarter than you, I and almost everyone else here when it comes to tuning coyotes. Same with Jon, Jr, & Dakota. Secondly, a little research would have told you gains on a 18+ from a tune is nowhere near what the gains from a 15-17 are. Third, Ford considers the 4.09 gear as an 'offroad' gear. So how it affects every little detail on a 2020 GT has yet to be known as not to many peeps are not getting a tune on a 2020. So pays the money for some remote tuning sessions to sort it out. Fourth, if your not satisfied, goto another tuning company. Fith, as for his SHOW. That's on his own time, doing his own thing, putting out info for everyone to learn from. Don't like it, don't watch it. Sixth, no I'm not tuned by LUND.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, he's smarter than you, I and almost everyone else here when it comes to tuning coyotes. Same with Jon, Jr, & Dakota. Secondly, a little research would have told you gains on a 18+ from a tune is nowhere near what the gains from a 15-17 are. Third, Ford considers the 4.09 gear as an 'offroad' gear. So how it affects every little detail on a 2020 GT has yet to be known as not to many peeps are not getting a tune on a 2020. So pays the money for some remote tuning sessions to sort it out. Fourth, if your not satisfied, goto another tuning company. Fith, as for his SHOW. That's on his own time, doing his own thing, putting out info for everyone to learn from. Don't like it, don't watch it. Sixth, no I'm not tuned by LUND.
You’re not tuned by Lund but you’re pretty butthurt for some reason. The fact that you’re trying to insult me says a lot about you, son.

I stand by what I said and I will tell everyone who asks how that “performance tune” works.

As for Alex (a friend of yours?); Is he smart? When it comes to tuning Mustangs, I would say yes. Any other way? I don’t know or care enough to say but if you’re comparing intellect, I get the strong sense the guy has probably peaked.

As for his SHOW, here he is wearing a Lund Racing hat while making fun of “Shelby Homosexuals.” Childish C+ humor, forever associated with his company. I don’t know what else he said since I tuned out after that.
65248358-3A06-4C6A-A99A-0D1528E3C94C.jpeg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
As for his SHOW, here he is wearing a Lund Racing hat while making fun of “Shelby Homosexuals.” Childish C+ humor, forever associated with his company. I don’t know what else he said since I tuned out after that.
So the name of his show "talking shit" didn't make your neurons fire ?
Sponsored