Lund tune experience: at best a C+

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What I discovered on my own is that not enough is documented for the 2020 cars yet to fix this problem...basically, I knew that the gear ratio value was assigned at a different address because changing the accepted address (for 2018-2019 cars)screwed up other stuff...
So by your own admission, your addition of the 4.09 gears messed things up? I am not sure Lund should be blamed for that. I am fairly sure on 15-17 cars, you can't really change the gear ratio from just a tune. You need Forscan which may or may not actually work or you need something like Whipple Flare tool to physically change the value of the gear ratio. At the very least it sounds like the gear ratio has caused unintended effects.

Also as WildHorse mentioned, the tune does other things besides increase power. Now maybe you are not happy with what those other things are... but I think this result is at least partially your fault for installing the 4.09 gears without realizing what would happen. You live and learn. I've many times had to re-do things because I didn't do all the research I could of or wouldn't think to look.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Very little gains with just a tune for sure, cause Ford frankly had it pretty maxed out with stock components. With a CAI (pmas / jlt) / LTH / FFE (free flow exhaust), it's more than just 'little gain' w/ the 93 tune. <- that's also common knowledge. You can contact AED, PBD, they'll tell you the same thing. Hope your gear issues get resolved. Apologies too if my previous comments seemed harsh. Wasn't my intent. Cheers.
Thanks. As far as I'm concerned, the apology is not necessary at all. You have good information to share. These things can get out of hand when we have strong opinions and I'm certainly guilty of that myself from time to time.

Yes...as for Ford doing a good job of maxing out the stock tune, that's not a surprise. The common understanding (and one that I still don't think is unreasonable in most cases) is that OEMs leave a certain percentage on the table to protect the warranty and generally improve durability. In the past, tuners know enough to cut into that margin a bit, give back some power, knowing that we will be diligent about using only 93 octane, that we won't lug the motor, we'll pay attention to water/oil temps, etc. Even before this conversation, I was pretty sure that I wouldn't see the 20+hp gain that the tune netted with my 2011 but I figured it would be something. American Muscle's youtube video showed a stock manual car picking up 16hp and 20lb-ft (or something like that) on a 100% stock 6spd 2018 with a Lund tune...I guess that was very optimistic.

Isn’t ford perf tune thing setup for 4.09 gears and guaranteed to work keeps warrantee and has cal EO number. Why mess with anything else?
Yes. That was my original plan. Unfortunately, the availability date has been sliding on that kit for a long time. Someone said that a vendor is showing this as available now but the answer to my question to Ford performance just last week indicated November availability. I couldn't stand driving my car with the screwed up tune for another two months.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So by your own admission, your addition of the 4.09 gears messed things up? I am not sure Lund should be blamed for that. I am fairly sure on 15-17 cars, you can't really change the gear ratio from just a tune. You need Forscan which may or may not actually work or you need something like Whipple Flare tool to physically change the value of the gear ratio. At the very least it sounds like the gear ratio has caused unintended effects.

Also as WildHorse mentioned, the tune does other things besides increase power. Now maybe you are not happy with what those other things are... but I think this result is at least partially your fault for installing the 4.09 gears without realizing what would happen. You live and learn. I've many times had to re-do things because I didn't do all the research I could of or wouldn't think to look.
Admission? There's a misunderstanding here. I reached out to them specifically to correct for that ratio because I couldn't do it on my own. They said they could do it as part of their performance tune.

There's a max final drive ratio coded somewhere in the PCM that won't recognize anything greater than 3.77:1. You can change the ratio in the BCM but it won't do anything if it's greater than the max. Like you said, it's likely not accessible through FORScan but if it is, nobody has shared that information and I don't have the time or savvy or even the desire to figure that out.

Maybe you knew about this hard limit for 2019-2020 cars this but it was not common knowledge. My "expert" Ford tech didn't know, and Lund may not have known until I "reminded" them.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Admission? There's a misunderstanding here. I reached out to them specifically to correct for that ratio because I couldn't do it on my own. They said they could do it as part of their performance tune.

There's a max final drive ratio coded somewhere in the PCM that won't recognize anything greater than 3.77:1. You can change the ratio in the BCM but it won't do anything if it's greater than the max. Like you said, it's likely not accessible through FORScan but if it is, nobody has shared that information and I don't have the time or savvy or even the desire to figure that out.

Maybe you knew about this hard limit for 2019-2020 cars this but it was not common knowledge. My "expert" Ford tech didn't know, and Lund may not have known until I "reminded" them.
Oh I see. So this was the whole point of the tune I guess and they represented that they could fix it. I can understand being upset about that, I probably would be too. But like I said some times it pays to do a lot research. Sometimes this type of information isn't known or readily available until the cars have been out a long time and folks have worked out the kinks. Looks like you found one. Part of modifying cars, trial and error.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's all math. From rev matching to VSS, to torque tables. IF the 4.09 gear math falls outside the parameters of any one of those, it's gonna be a problem.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No but this is just the case of not being informed. Gen2 Coyote is different. You can pick up 20-30whp with just a tune on 93 octane. 2018+ not so much. However, 2018+ can achieve huge gains with just E85. This is pretty common knowledge on this forum at this point so I'm not sharing anything that isn't already out there.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Dont need a dyno nor a track just buy a dragy and see if you gain mphs in the 1/4mile my lund tune gained 5mph over the stock tune.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Your sig says you have a 16. The gen2 does respond to tune changes.

The 18+ not so much since it is limited by the fuel being sold. Ford mapped it out pretty good.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
even the 15 to 17 are pretty well maxed out on ign timing. There is room in the part throttle areas but with a 91 octane limit this is about it.

93 adds a couple.

stock ign.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That's a 40 HP jump. I'd like to see the timeslips. Not some draggie thing, real time slips.

I don't think 40 HP is attainable without other mods. So what are they?

Sponsored

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I know this is an old thread, but this is a 2 second change in HPT and your problem's would have been fixed OP. Sucks you were put through the linger, I mean ringer... #findanothertuner

1700891863863.png

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is an old thread, but this is a 2 second change in HPT and your problem's would have been fixed OP. Sucks you were put through the linger, I mean ringer... #findanothertuner

1700891863863.png
Thanks! Unfortunately, I tried this at the time and it didn't do anything. It could be that changes to the 2020 software had not yet been accommodated but has since been corrected so if anyone else is swapping to 4.09s, definitely try updating this table before spending any more money.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In my (admittedly limited) experience, not all the tables you see in HPtuners actually do something. Most of them do probably work with most vehicles, but there are exceptions. So, until someone installs 4.09 gears and confirms that changing this table was indeed effective, I wouldn't bet on it.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
In my (admittedly limited) experience, not all the tables you see in HPtuners actually do something. Most of them do probably work with most vehicles, but there are exceptions. So, until someone installs 4.09 gears and confirms that changing this table was indeed effective, I wouldn't bet on it.
The tire circumference table works. I have mine adjusted to use with my drag radials. Tested pre and post and the GPS speed is accurate now with the change. I also found you need to use the drop down above the value and change it from learned from to calibration. That’s the only way it worked.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hi OP,

Total bummer about your experience. Back in ‘16 I bought the FP power pack 2 and had a positive performance gain but much like you I was not happy with the rev-hang.

I went to the forum, created a poll of others who were not happy, gathered their numbers and went back to FP and requested a revised tune. I worked with Ray IIRC and he got us a revised tune to address that issue.

It might be worth it to call the boys in Detroit and see what they can do for you.

Good luck OP and Merry Christmas 🎄
Sponsored