Sponsored

Best suspension upgrades for verts

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Since convertibles obviously have different issues than coupes, I’m wondering what best bang for buck suspension upgrades would be specific for convertibles. Or are the best upgrades the same for coupes and convertibles?
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I’ve replaced the shocks and struts with Koni Actives and kept the original springs. Added BMR’s CB010 cradle lockout kit with centering sleeves SCB766. I’m not into any form of racing nor do I want a low rider. But I did want it to ride better by not beating you. I’ve been very pleased with the Actives. The car rides better and the cradle lockout kit has taken some of the shack out of the rear that the verts seem to amplify with the top up. I also went from the oe 20’s to 18’s.

Update: after 10k miles the rear shocks failed and at this point I don’t recommend them.

Last edited:

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
I’ve replaced the shocks and struts with Koni Actives and kept the original springs. And BMR’s CB010 cradle lockout kit with centering sleeves SCB766. I’m not into any form of racing nor do I want a low rider. But I did want it to ride better. I’ve been very pleased with the Actives. The car rides better and the cradle lockout kit has taken some of the shack out of the rear that the verts seem to amplify with the top up. I also went from the oe 20’s to 18’s on wheels.
I am on 18's on my 2013 V6 Vert. Enjoy the ride. Have never nodded that car other than getting some black rims and stayed with the exact size I was replacing.

My 2020 CS is coming with 19's, but the aftermarket rims I really got my eye on only come in 18's.well they do make 19, but not the color I want. So gonna fully test the 19's while I wear out the first set of tires, and unless I am in love with the ride, I don't think I will mind dropping to the 18's.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
What are you trying to address w/ the stock convertible setup?

For me, I enjoyed the car for casual drives w/ the stock suspension, but it was an absolute boat for any type of performance driving, particularly for autox. I changed to the Ford Racing Track Handling Package. I installed this along w/ the subframe centering spacers and chassis jack rails. None of these were convertible specific, but they made the car feel like an actual sports car vs a boat.

I chose the Ford Racing package vs. other aftermarket versions to keep things more stock-ish and less hassle of piecing things together. I've pieced together different things & experimented with previous car. For this one, I just wanted something that worked from a casual enthusiast perspective. This fit the bill nicely.

The ride is harsher, but still comfortable enough for driving around town, imho.

Sponsored

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
I supercharged my 2018 GT Convertible A10 with an Edelbrock Stage-1 kit, so I lost my strut tower brace. I would like to find one that would fit over or around the huge supercharger head unit. As for the chassis, I did the GT350 half shafts (drivetrain, not chassis, I know, but the heavier shafts help mitigate wheel hop...) and the Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Alignment and Support Kit. Stopped my wheel hopping and stopped the car from trying to do a 180 when spinning the rear wheels. I'll upgrade brakes when the stock brakes need replacement, same for shocks, struts, etc. It's a comfortable ride as it is with no vibration from the Steeda parts...

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
I came from a fastback to the vert, so there was a noticeable difference. Mine is a 2017 GT PP.

I've added the BMR CB006 subframe brace, J&M jacking rails, Steeda IRS support bushings and alignment kit, as well as the Ford Performance street springs.

My GT drives really nicely - handling has improved, cowl shake is noticeably reduced and best of all, the ride comfort hasn't diminished.

I've since changed out the stock 19" PP wheels and Pirellis for a set of 20" P51s with Michelin PS4S and they have made even more of a difference.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
I am on 18's on my 2013 V6 Vert. Enjoy the ride. Have never nodded that car other than getting some black rims and stayed with the exact size I was replacing.

My 2020 CS is coming with 19's, but the aftermarket rims I really got my eye on only come in 18's.well they do make 19, but not the color I want. So gonna fully test the 19's while I wear out the first set of tires, and unless I am in love with the ride, I don't think I will mind dropping to the 18's.
I have the optional 19’s on my 2020 Ecoboost. Wish it had the 18s. The ride on patched or broken pavement is pretty bad. The 18s are definitely a bit more compliant. I think I’ll trade for a used or new GT with 18 inch wheels by next spring.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
try changing tires to Conti's or Michelin pilot sport 3 a/s. The pirellis have stiff sidewalls.

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
try changing tires to Conti's or Michelin pilot sport 3 a/s. The pirellis have stiff sidewalls.
I have been thinking about the Continental Extreme Contacts. Know anything about them?

Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I have been thinking about the Continental Extreme Contacts. Know anything about them?
Continental tires are the way to go, IMO. Go to Tire Rack for the best info. At least 2 different versions are specifically NOT for areas that have freezing temperatures. That even includes storage. My choice is going to be the DS-06 model.

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
Well, I know due to the price it isn't a "bang for the buck" type of thing, but I absolutely love my Airlift Performance airbag setup! I can quickly raise it for speed bumps & entering my driveway (in Idaho, our driveways are like curbs! Crazy!), raise it for washing, getting jacks underneath it, raise it for bad roads and potholes, drop it for shows, club events, or just for fun, and drive it normally with very little wheel well gap. With the struts &shocks set to a more soft setting, it rides softer and smoother than stock, and when I'm heading to some curvy roads for some carving, I can crank up the struts/shocks and it handles much better than stock! I still have to finish up the height sensor installation, but I'm sure it will perform even better then. I had Eibach Sportlines and Koni Yellows on my 2014, but the airbags on my 2018 are sooooo much better! Easily the best modification I've done to any car ever!! If you can somehow swing it, the airbags are well worth it! :)
121970936_3077099525729442_6274978905481690776_o.jpg

That's mine at the front from leading our cruise last weekend. :thumbsup:

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Factory Performance Pack 1 option for the convertible makes for a pretty decent handling convertible in stock form. Add Steeda jacking rails, adj camber plates and a good sport alignment...I am happy!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Full Steeda suspension, it handles pretty well :)

1604370240057.jpeg
IMG_4997.jpg

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
I did full Steeda progressives, sway bars and dampers! I absolutely love the way it handles. One caveat, though, Steeda had to put a spacer on my rear springs to level it out. I still can whole-heartedly recommend them and their customer service is exemplary! TJ with Steeda can hook you up!
Sponsored