G-LOC R10 experiences?

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I bought some used Steeda slotted 2-piece rotors from a fellow forum member, and he threw in the G-LOC R10 front pads. I bought new R8 rear pads. The seller claimed about 10K street miles and one autocross on the brakes, so not much wear at all.

I also bled the brakes with new ATE fluid. I put about 150 miles on the car before the track day, an HPDE at VIR North last weekend. Temps in the high 80s.

My car is a 2020 GT, base, no options, 6-speed. I am an advanced driver (former instructor) with 20+ years of HPDE, but I'm getting old and I take it easy. Not that I paid much attention to speed, but I estimate 110 at the end of the straight, braking to about 45 for the turn. I tend to brake late. No ABS, typically. Michelin Pilot Sport.

Overall I was very pleased with the brake performance, good bite, excellent performance, little fading. After my 100 mile drive home, looking at the rotors they don't look too bad, but you can (hopefully) see a little bit of material still left on the rotors. I always take a nice easy cool down lap, and a few times afterwards I moved the car a few feet to let the rotors cool more evenly. I've never used G-LOC before (typically I was a Performance Friction guy) and never experienced this kind of build-up.
20200629_114825.jpg
20200629_114856.jpg

So, my question is, is this normal for the G-LOC, or does anyone have any suggestions? I've had cross-drilled rotors before, but never these cheese-grater slotted things.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Brian.

Before your next event, you will want to scuff the pads and rotors to remove that smeared build-up.
Any suggestions on what to use to clean up and scuff these items?

Also, anyone have a source to locate the part numbers on the control arm air deflectors?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks Brian.

Also, anyone have a source to locate the part numbers on the control arm air deflectors?
Hawk once told me to use 100 grit (? - not sure about that) sand paper to clean the rotor (since for some reason I was trying to use their pads).

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Thanks Brian.

I have a few extra sets of the PP1 control arm deflectors. If you'd like a set to mount to your arms I'd be happy to send them to you for the cost of shipping.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I have a few extra sets of the PP1 control arm deflectors. If you'd like a set to mount to your arms I'd be happy to send them to you for the cost of shipping.
You rock! PM on the way...

What a great bunch of guys on this forum!

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Do the base control arms have the 3 threaded holes in them?

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Do the base control arms have the 3 threaded holes in them?
I'll be jacking up the car and replacing the OE stuff today, but from first glance it appears that they do not. Any chance that one of you PP1 guys could snap a picture sometime and let me know how it attaches? I could probably drill some holes without too much trouble.

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I'll be jacking up the car and replacing the OE stuff today, but from first glance it appears that they do not. Any chance that one of you PP1 guys could snap a picture sometime and let me know how it attaches? I could probably drill some holes without too much trouble.
I'm still pretty new to the S550 platform, so If the base arms don't have the threaded holes that'll be a problem. I do have my PP1 take off's that I could also send with the deflectors, but I think one of the boots got a tear in it. If you're ok with that, I can throw them in for a few extra bucks since they're quite heavy to ship.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the link Brian. That's probably a better idea than me drilling holes into major suspension components...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So, my question is, is this normal for the G-LOC, or does anyone have any suggestions? I've had cross-drilled rotors before, but never these cheese-grater slotted things.
Sounds like the R10/R8 combination may not be quite enough pad, at least for your current level of brake cooling. I don't know if the slots are adding to the temperature or if they're in any way responsible for the deposits.

An instructor drove my car for about half a session when it had the Carbotech XP10's up front and he didn't think that was enough pad for his driving. I'm not sure what was out back, would have been either XP8's or XP10's. I didn't get the deposits, or at least not enough to cause any vibration, but on my half of the session the brakes didn't feel quite the same as what I was accustomed to. I do recall that they did recover for my next full session, though.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My car is a 2020 GT, base, no options
so 4-pot brakes. You can do my 'dryer vent' ghetto air-scoops. Pretty sure I still have a set of nearly new PP lateral links with the deflectors. I replaced with the roll-center correcting version.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I don't recall pad transfer on my old 2015 GT. I was using R12's. Got some heat checking on rotors but little transfer. I wonder if you should go up to the R12? If you decide to, I've got a set with one weekend at VIR Full on them
Sponsored