Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Somebody gets it. This new Mach is more so a Boss 302.

I was hoping for the present day version of a '69-'70 428SCJ Mach 1. Instead we got a present day '69-'70 Boss 302 (which is great, don't get me wrong) onto which someone on the assembly line put the wrong graphics and badges.
I couldn't agree more. The base Mach1 looks like a Bullitt and the Track car looks like a GT350 with a Boss 302 grill. This Mach1 is a very good car but it has no identity.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I couldn't agree more. The base Mach1 looks like a Bullitt and the Track car looks like a GT350 with a Boss 302 grill. This Mach1 is a very good car but it has no identity.
and that is exactly why I intend to modify mine back to what it should be. stiffen up the rear for drag racing, engine swap once out of warranty, fix the graphics and hood. As was stated above, yeah, this is a Boss with the wrong graphics. It seems they have decided that every Mustang needs to be a road course track carver, when there is room for track cars and drag cars. Dodge at least seems to realize this, granted they push their drag car more than track car enthusiasm, but they've done some catering to both.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
and that is exactly why I intend to modify mine back to what it should be. stiffen up the rear for drag racing, engine swap once out of warranty, fix the graphics and hood. As was stated above, yeah, this is a Boss with the wrong graphics. It seems they have decided that every Mustang needs to be a road course track carver, when there is room for track cars and drag cars. Dodge at least seems to realize this, granted they push their drag car more than track car enthusiasm, but they've done some catering to both.
Agreed.

All it would have taken is the heads and cams from the GT500 to put this thing where it should be in terms of the name, a modern day Cobra Jet Mach 1. Alas....

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Just watched a couple of videos. Ford knocked it out of the park!

Diff cooler on the standard Mach I. A 10 with a quicker shifting transmission on the standard Mach 1. 9.5 front, 10 rear wheels. Excellent!

No handling pack for me. Want to see the colors. But, might actually order a NEW Mach 1. It'll be the first Mustang I have ordered since my 1982 Mustang GT 39 years ago.

Way to go Ford. I highly approve!!!!

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
A second dealer confirmed that it will be coming to Sweden.
Might just want to make sure the dealer wasn’t thinking you meant the “Mach E”!

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I get that the spec reads more like what we'd expect of a new Boss 302, rather than a "traditional" Mach 1. But can you imagine if Ford produced a model that was focused on just the straight line? It'd be panned by the motoring press and internet keyboard warriors alike. Dodge can sell the 1320 focused Challengers because, with all due respect to the Challenger, that's the only place it shines. Show it a twisty and it starts to fall apart in the driving dymanics. The S550 moved the game on in terms of Mustang driving dynamics....there's no way they could not have made it the best driving and best handling 5.0 Mustang yet.

Do I wish they'd added more power? Sure. But it is what it is. And what it is is probably the finest driving non-Shelby S550 yet. Magneride and a 10-speed will ensure a fast yet comfortable cruiser, still capable of shining on a twisty road. For those that want the ultimate in driver interaction, there's the Tremec manual.

I can't wait to try one :)

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To me 480 projected horsepower is just the number Ford engineers throw out there to let us know it will have more horsepower than the GT. If the Mach 1 engine does indeed have the GT350 intake manifold , 480 horsepower sounds low for an intake manifold designed for an 8250 RPM engine. The 480 horsepower at 7000 RPM is more like the RPM rating for a pushrod engine. I will wait to see what the horsepower level on the Mach 1 engine is at 7800 RPM. I suspect the horsepower level will be closer to 500 horsepower.
I believe the Bullit also had the GT350 intake and throttle body and only got 480hp. The cross plane 5.0 is limited to 7400 readline. It is not the manifold and intake that make a car capable of higher revving. The crank and heads have a lot to do with it.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This kills me. those guys who want the Mach 1 to be a street racer. Why?? What market is there for that? With every corner have a red light camera and speed cameras are spreading like wildfire, your only place to drive fast will either kill you (unsafe side streets), rack up tickets or require you to take it to the drag strip or track. They even have drones or aircraft taking photos where they can catch speeders and mail you a ticket on several highways.

I think with Big Brother, Ford and the other manufacturers are getting wise that stop light heroes is a thing of the past. Better to focus on legal places to drive since they will be losing the illegal ones in short order. That market is drying up.

Don't get me wrong, it is still fun to get on the highway with authority or feel that pull into the seat when taking off at a stop light but you will need to keep it at the speed limit or else you will need deep pockets just to drive around town.

the days of dragging at a closed off street are done.

This car is slightly reinventing itself for what the times can allow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
the morons in Marketing again. "but we have to tie it into the Mach-E". To Marketing it's just words grabbed out of a hat. I'll bet you nobody in this campaign even drives a Mustang, or is even a car person, or could tell you the first detail about the Mach1 or Boss from 50 years ago or the differences in design intent between the two. I'll bet there was some screaming coming from the engineering side of the house to not call it the Mach1. And were only placated by "well the A10 is fast right? so QED it's a street bruiser/drag car". That line of thinking was probably what justified not offering the Handling pack with A10.

I agree, they should have released the 2 cars as sisters - Mach1 (auto only, bespoke hood and stripe, hell throw in a non-functional Shaker - just use it as a engine bay hot air VENT instead of intake) and Boss (stick only, handling pack, 'C' or hockey stripes). But with 2 competing name plates the "message" would be diluted. The powerplant issue can't be helped. Or the Mach1 would have had to be limited to US market only.
Still with the negative BS. Your comments about marketing are just conjecture. You have no clue as to what they drive and whether or not they are car people. You have no idea about how they came about with the decision to name this car Mach 1 vs, Boss 302. The whole M6/A10 is total BS. It wasn't long ago that the M6 crowd was adamant that a "performance" Mustang shouldn't have an automatic. "I'd never buy a GT500 with an auto" Remember! Now we have the reverse agreement. Why can't we get the A10 with the HP. You folks are as thick as a brick. Do you really think Ford didn't test the A10 with the HP. If they are not offering it there is a reason. Maybe we will eventually find out why, Maybe not.

Now as far as having two cars, are you really serious. The S550 is two years from extinction. We are lucky, under current circumstances, that we even have one car. Yes, it's a little of both. Why isn't that a good thing.

And you want a "non-functioning" Shaker. If Ford would have done that this thread would be another 50 pages longer with everyone screaming "why".

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I get that the spec reads more like what we'd expect of a new Boss 302, rather than a "traditional" Mach 1. But can you imagine if Ford produced a model that was focused on just the straight line? It'd be panned by the motoring press and internet keyboard warriors alike. Dodge can sell the 1320 focused Challengers because, with all due respect to the Challenger, that's the only place it shines. Show it a twisty and it starts to fall apart in the driving dymanics. The S550 moved the game on in terms of Mustang driving dynamics....there's no way they could not have made it the best driving and best handling 5.0 Mustang yet.

Do I wish they'd added more power? Sure. But it is what it is. And what it is is probably the finest driving non-Shelby S550 yet. Magneride and a 10-speed will ensure a fast yet comfortable cruiser, still capable of shining on a twisty road. For those that want the ultimate in driver interaction, there's the Tremec manual.

I can't wait to try one :)
I can't wait to try one also. However, there's not enough difference in hardware under the hood for me to swap what I have plus $25K (likely more) for it. Swing and a miss for me. And I never said I wanted an ill-handling strip car, it has to be an all-rounder. The package is great, but the name demands more power.

If I wanted a GT350, I'd get one; I almost did, but I'm not a track rat and figured most of the car would be lost on me. All it would have taken is 500-510 HP with some bespoke (to the Mach) engine bits along with the A10 for me to want to bite on a base Mach 1.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This kills me. those guys who want the Mach 1 to be a street racer. Why??
Because no matter what Ford gives us, it's not enough for some people. It "coulda, woulda, shoulda". That was great before the introduction. Now we have the car. It is what it is. Those who love it will buy it. Everyone else, go suck on a lollipop. :headbang::facepalm::)

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Because no matter what Ford gives us, it's not enough for some people. It "coulda, woulda, shoulda". That was great before the introduction. Now we have the car. It is what it is. Those who love it will buy it. Everyone else, go suck on a lollipop. :headbang::facepalm::)
its not that, but certain models have, or had apparantly, a certain niche that they fit in. The boss was for homogolating engines for circuit racing. The Mach 1 was for street oriented performance. I'm not going to be pulling 1.3gs on my commute. But I could sure as hell got WOT on the on ramp. I like the car, I would like it more if it were packaged as Boss 302. I'll still buy it, Ford did a good job.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Still with the negative BS. Your comments about marketing are just conjecture. You have no clue as to what they drive and whether or not they are car people. You have no idea about how they came about with the decision to name this car Mach 1 vs, Boss 302. The whole M6/A10 is total BS. It wasn't long ago that the M6 crowd was adamant that a "performance" Mustang shouldn't have an automatic. "I'd never buy a GT500 with an auto" Remember! Now we have the reverse agreement. Why can't we get the A10 with the HP. You folks are as thick as a brick. Do you really think Ford didn't test the A10 with the HP. If they are not offering it there is a reason. Maybe we will eventually find out why, Maybe not.

Now as far as having two cars, are you really serious. The S550 is two years from extinction. We are lucky, under current circumstances, that we even have one car. Yes, it's a little of both. Why isn't that a good thing.

And you want a "non-functioning" Shaker. If Ford would have done that this thread would be another 50 pages longer with everyone screaming "why".
Yes, exactly this.
Again, there is a lot of armchair conjecture on these forums, and this Mach 1 is really proving this.
There was an interview with Carl Widmann, (I'll see if I can find it) but he addressed the shaker hood and the decision to not include it:
A) Functional Shaker - the routing from the centre of the upper hood, back down to the intake box, and then back into the intake manifold just does not make sense from an engineering perspective, for cost and seeing how this isn't an engine of yore where the filter is located on the top of the motor with carbs in the centre. Folks have to think about the additional cost and what can be done for the money and the budget constraints.
B) Functional or Non-Functional Shaker - the unnecessary drag that it would create at higher speeds on a track, which is detrimental to what Ford intends for this car, which is to perform at a high level on a track - despite the history being stated by some, as a "stoplight" or "Street warrior."

Further - the idea of having the Shaker as just a functional vent: Again, unlike cars of yore, the speeds capable of cars today coupled with the handling, far out-class the forebearers of the 60s. As a result, functional vents need to be facing the opposite way (think the GT350 hood vent, or even the regular GT hood vent) to balance negative and positive aero pressure, and evacuate the heat out toward the BACK of the car. Although the old cars had the NASAs/NACAs - this wasn't an issue back then. It is now, in that it will just create a point of drag and lift - not good for high speed.

This car will supposedly be limited production, if you do the shaker hypothetically, you then have to recertify the powertrain for emissions in the U.S., which is a lot of cost, and you cannot amortize this over a production run, since it is low production, relative to the mass-produced variants.

Folks have to remember, cost. As I've stated in other posts, most folks will never know how it is to be a major company, having to deal with suppliers, supply lines, limited production capacity of suppliers to supply parts to the OE, pay for R&D, pay for manufacturing, tooling, salaries, benefits - the list just goes on and on. Folks think its so easy - it's not. And this isn't to just to give ford a break - this is objective reality.

People also have to remember - when OEs build to a cost and budget, yes, it is built to the OE's cost max - however, this is based largely on what is projected to be the customer's projected budget. When something is built to a budget, it's affected by what the buyer will be willing to pay.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
its not that, but certain models have, or had apparantly, a certain niche that they fit in. The boss was for homogolating engines for circuit racing. The Mach 1 was for street oriented performance. I'm not going to be pulling 1.3gs on my commute. But I could sure as hell got WOT on the on ramp. I like the car, I would like it more if it were packaged as Boss 302. I'll still buy it, Ford did a good job.
I hear you. But Ford was only going to make one car, not two. They decided to take elements from both and put them in one car. Had they named it Boss 302, people would be complaining that it should have been named Mach 1. :)

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I can't wait to try one also. However, there's not enough difference in hardware under the hood for me to swap what I have plus $25K (likely more) for it. Swing and a miss for me. And I never said I wanted an ill-handling strip car, it has to be an all-rounder. The package is great, but the name demands more power.

If I wanted a GT350, I'd get one; I almost did, but I'm not a track rat and figured most of the car would be lost on me. All it would have taken is 500-510 HP with some bespoke (to the Mach) engine bits along with the A10 for me to want to bite on a base Mach 1.
Seriously, how much is it to add to a stock 5.0 to get it over 500 hp? E85 and a tune? A few grand in intake and exhaust parts? final drive change? Maybe a turbo or supercharger set up for light boost?

Is it really that you need a warranty more than the power?

Is it reliable power? If it was this, none of us would look American. can get more power/performance with reliability elsewhere.... but it will cost you.

It is simple. The good old three side pyramid. you can only get two : Price, power or light weight/performance.

Like it or not like it that is fine. With power so cheap these days, that cannot be the deal breaker for anyone. Fords have so many options in the aftermarket that 500+ hp is obtainable reliably.

For that matter, keep the 480 and ditch the extra weight and you'll more easily go faster. Aftermarket wheels, remove the A/C, ditch the stereo, back seat, passenger seat, etc and your times will drop.

480 hp is HUGE!!! We have only been reliably over 400 hp for the last 10, maybe 15 years and all you all can do is complain to get even more in a time when carbon emissions and the environment is wanting our cars off the face of the Earth.

Be grateful for what you do have for you may lose it tomorrow... That's right, this car will only be out for two model years and it is gone like the Dodo.

Good news, we will only hear about the issues and problems of the Mach 1 for two years!!!! Then we will all be complaining about the next gen Mustang. Thank God, even with all the complaints, it is the best selling sporty car on the planet and many of us can find a variant they like or can afford. Thank you purchasers of ANY Mustang. I hope my grandchildren and theirs will get a chance to drive one.
Sponsored

Last edited: