This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I hear you. But Ford was only going to make one car, not two. They decided to take elements from both and put them in one car. Had they named it Boss 302, people would be complaining that it should have been named Mach 1. :)
eh, I think you'd have had less complaints about the car itself. you would have had complaints from people who want a Mach 1 (me) asking wth is my mach 1, y'all had a boss a few years ago. Like I said, I'll take the car as is, and will slowly turn it into what I would've liked to have seen from the factory, which is fine by me, just not my preferred route of course. I also no that there is nearly zero chance that they ever would have introduced the 7.3 or a variant into a mustang. So I'll just have to figure out how to do it myself one day.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Your comments about marketing are just conjecture.
But of course. However there are LOTS of cases where Marketing thoroughly fouled up a product.

Do you really think Ford didn't test the A10 with the HP. If they are not offering it there is a reason.
artificial model differentiation - driven by Marketing. With a small chance of it being a sop to Engineering/purists who bitched royally that their new Boss was being sullied by the inclusion of an A10 option. I mean, really, who drives an A10 on a road course? (yeah, yeah PDK and all that) :)

Now as far as having two cars, are you really serious. The S550 is two years from extinction
So? all the important mechanicals are common. The rest is just stickers and some ABS plastic. Somehow I think the mighty Ford can manage to stock 2 different sets of decals and keep them straight.

And you want a "non-functioning" Shaker. If Ford would have done that this thread would be another 50 pages longer with everyone screaming "why".
It is functional. as an engine bay vent, not an intake. A Mach1 by definition is supposed to have certain things - even if they were sometimes optional. A Shaker that is a vent looks the part and does something useful. And those that wanna die on the hill of "must have Shaker to be a Mach1" have a ready-made answer.

The Shaker of yore only made sense for intake duty because the carbs and air cleaner were smack dab in the middle of the engine and cutting a nice big hole in the hood right above the parts made perfect sense. Sure, having to mold a thin cross-section air intake pathway from the middle of the engine all the way out to the bottom right corner as a supplemental air supply is a lot of bother for no point aside from a feature list checkmark.

I'll bet nobody here who wants a Shaker hood gives 2 sh*t that it's not an intake source or that it adds drag. Has == Cool.

It didn't take me 10 seconds to repurpose the Shaker as a hood vent which all these cars desperately need. How come it (apparently?) didn't occur to Engineering? I'll bet further that next to nobody buying a 50th anniversary Dodge Challenger with it's Shaker gives a damn if it's functional or adds drag. They want the look. And yet Dodge UNDERSTANDS their customer and pointless performance exercise or not, delivered.

Last edited:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
its not that, but certain models have, or had apparantly, a certain niche that they fit in. The boss was for homogolating engines for circuit racing. The Mach 1 was for street oriented performance. I'm not going to be pulling 1.3gs on my commute. But I could sure as hell got WOT on the on ramp. I like the car, I would like it more if it were packaged as Boss 302. I'll still buy it, Ford did a good job.
That was also in a time when 0-60 in 5+ seconds was fast and no one could take a turn worth a dime. Everyone had to slow down or else they would flip the car. What we can do today, even in cars that should not be capable of fast turns and fast acceleration (SUVs and trucks) CAN. Everything can go fast.

Making a street warrior will not set it a part from every car on the road. Hell, so many SUVs can take all those street warriors of yore. Being a street warrior no longer gets the sales. It needs to be more.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
That was also in a time when 0-60 in 5+ seconds was fast and no one could take a turn worth a dime. Everyone had to slow down or else they would flip the car. What we can do today, even in cars that should be capable of fast turns and fast acceleration (SUVs and trucks) CAN. Everything can go fast.

Making a street warrior will not set it a part from every car on the road. Hell, so many SUVs can take all those street warriors of yore. Being a street warrior no longer gets the sales. It needs to be more.
more? like this?
https://www.dodge.com/challenger/sr... SRT® HELLCAT REDEYE,and fastest muscle car 3.
it does one thing well, and that's it. go fast in a straight line, race light to light. sometimes that's all you want. can't carve for shit, can only haul a few groceries, but quickly. no room for more than 1 passenger. that should've been the target for the Mach 1. IMO. This Mach 1 is a great car and will do what is does great, just, imo, it fits the Boss theme more than the Mach.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's amazing how my point is missed again and again.

My feeling is that the Mach 1 should have had sufficient power to differentiate itself from any previous Mustang GT, BEFORE ANY MODS. Better? Any mods after the fact would be icing on the cake. The rest of the new Mach sounds fantastic, it's just not different enough from every other Mustang GT under the hood, let alone the Bullitt.

Ford did it perfectly back in '03-'04 when the Mach had 40+ HP more than any GT of the time, and the engine was really its own entity. The shaker was cool, but I couldn't give a hoot about it on the S550, as I don't feel it fits the design.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
more? like this?
https://www.dodge.com/challenger/srt.html#:~:text=CHALLENGER SRT® HELLCAT REDEYE,and fastest muscle car 3.
it does one thing well, and that's it. go fast in a straight line, race light to light. sometimes that's all you want. can't carve for shit, can only haul a few groceries, but quickly. no room for more than 1 passenger. that should've been the target for the Mach 1. IMO. This Mach 1 is a great car and will do what is does great, just, imo, it fits the Boss theme more than the Mach.
then why are you in a Mustang forum when you found your perfect car elsewhere?

That is also why it has huge sales just like every other one trick pony. The redeye is a marketing stunt for collectors and the very, very few who can afford one. For that matter, you already have a GT500 which can beat it at the track or at least give it a good run. Buy that instead. You are comparing a street car to a drag strip ONLY car. Really? That is your defense? Why make a car only to sell so few that you might never turn a profit?

In the end, this Mach 1 will KILL every variant of Mach 1 ever made in any of the old school ways AND it will do more in places it would never have thought of going before.

I am not sure it takes much to make a car that can go fast in a straight line. It seems a Tesla is more to your liking then or the ever popular over-sized boxes on wheels with big power plants. they all go fast in a straight line. Today that is not a differentiator. You need to do that and several other things to stand out.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

My feeling is that the Mach 1 should have had sufficient power to differentiate itself from any previous Mustang GT, BEFORE ANY MODS. Better? Any mods after the fact would be icing on the cake. The rest of the new Mach sounds fantastic, it's just not different enough from every other Mustang GT under the hood, let alone the Bullitt.

Ford did it perfectly back in '03-'04 when the Mach had 40+ HP more than any GT of the time, and the engine was really its own entity. The shaker was cool, but I couldn't give a hoot about it on the S550, as I don't feel it fits the design.
It does. the GT stops at 460 hp.

Only specialty cars have more. The Bullit is not call the GT Bullit, it is just the Bullit. Alll other GTs have less.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

What I think you are looking for is improved times. I would not be surprised that with the better suspension, the Mach 1 will still be faster than every GT. Here is why.

The GT PP2 was faster than the PP1 and regular GT, even its 0 - 60 was 0.2 sec faster - keeping the same transmission.

The Mach 1 might have lighter weight in the end and a better suspension AND BE FASTER with the same HP!!

The Ariel Atom has far less HP than a Mustang BUT it will rip the doors off a Stang every day. the whole premise of Lotus was light and fast. it was not about hp to go fast. Maybe, just maybe the suspension improvements might make even the MAch 1 A10 a bit faster than a GT auto.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
then why are you in a Mustang forum when you found your perfect car elsewhere?

That is also why it has huge sales just like every other one trick pony. The redeye is a marketing stunt for collectors and the very, very few who can afford one. For that matter, you already have a GT500 which can beat it at the track or at least give it a good run. Buy that instead. You are comparing a street car to a drag strip ONLY car. Really? That is your defense? Why make a car only to sell so few that you might never turn a profit?

In the end, this Mach 1 will KILL every variant of Mach 1 ever made in any of the old school ways AND it will do more in places it would never have thought of going before.

I am not sure it takes much to make a car that can go fast in a straight line. It seems a Tesla is more to your liking then or the ever popular over-sized boxes on wheels with big power plants. they all go fast in a straight line. Today that is not a differentiator. You need to do that and several other things to stand out.
and the mach 1 isn't a marketing trick for collectors? like the Bullitt?.

I don't have a dodge because I don't really care for them. I have a Mach 1. That is why I am on a mustang board. I fully intend to get a new Mach 1 in less than a year. I also have...6 other Fords right now.

And, just an FYI, a 71 429 mach 1 car is only a second slower than this car is going to be if it holds the 480 hp in the 1/4. and that was with bias tires. literally replace tires and the 71 mach can outrun the current cars. God forbid you actually un-restrict that motor like Ford intended for it to be done.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This is why I say this....
45gdp7.jpg
I love it.

However, I would likely be in line waving cash for a base A10 Mach 1 had it come with more under the hood than the Bullitt to further differentiate it from everything else in the naturally aspirated, non-Shelby, V8 S550 lineup. The rest is just gravy.

When it comes to the Mach's powerplant, I'm akin to the kid that wanted the shiny new Tonka dump truck for Christmas, but got socks instead.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
I love it.

However, I would likely be in line waving cash for a base A10 Mach 1 had it come with more under the hood than the Bullitt to further differentiate it from everything else in the naturally aspirated, non-Shelby, V8 S550 lineup. The rest is just gravy.

When it comes to the Mach's powerplant, I'm akin to the kid that wanted the shiny new Tonka dump truck for Christmas, but got socks instead.
but the brand of the socks is Tonka Truck, and they have tonka truck designs on them, so it's really the same thing, right?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

I don't have a dodge because I don't really care for them. I have a Mach 1. That is why I am on a mustang board. I fully intend to get a new Mach 1 in less than a year. I also have...6 other Fords right now.

And, just an FYI, a 71 429 mach 1 car is only a second slower than this car is going to be if it holds the 480 hp in the 1/4. and that was with bias tires. literally replace tires and the 71 mach can outrun the current cars. God forbid you actually un-restrict that motor like Ford intended for it to be done.
but it had a 3.91 or 4.11 rear to do it. Put that same rear and the second gets wider.

Also, was that an automatic? The only 480 hp GT time available is the Bullit and that is with a manual. We all know the GT is about 0.4-0.5 sec faster in the auto. That margin, with the auto, might be wider still. Also, the Bullit did not have the PP2 suspension that the Mach 1 has which helped the PP2 get faster than a GT and so the Mach 1 with auto could be faster still. The PP2 is 0.2 sec faster than a manual GT or GT PP1.

i will wait for the car mag times and see but I suspect this car to be faster than its predecessors.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4

The Mustang officially with the S550 generation (arguably starting with the Boss 302 from a couple years prior) is no longer just a muscle car and is now a legit, bonafide sports car. I'm no expert on the prowess of the original Mach 1, but I don't think it had the same design goals or nearly the same end result. It may have been much faster in a straight line for its time, which is a pretty cool thing in itself, don't get me wrong... but I doubt it will hold a candle to the new Mach 1 around a road course, even with PSC2 tire upgrades.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is why I say this....
45gdp7.jpg
The base Mach 1 has all the PP2 parts and more and that was a handling package. The fact that they offer a wing, splitter and tires and call it a package that an auto guy cannot have doesn't make the base any less capable. It just comes stock with a PP2 handling package. Without the PP2 package, the Mach 1 would be a different color and decal Bullit. Would you rather it come like that and then you add the PP2 suspension bits for whatever the price difference is between the PP2 and PP1 ? They could have made the base just another Bullit and hit a lower base price but instead they too the PP2 platform, gave it the intake of the Bullit, and some nice parts for the Shelbys. In fact, most PP2 owners complain about being forced to buy Cup 2 tires and end up selling them anyway. So Ford decided to give you a base with still wider than a regular GT wheels and you complain that you do not get to sell your unnecessary Cup 2 tires as well? Give me a break. This is sounding more about something you want and cannot have.

Now, go get me some of that coffee!!

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Also, was that an automatic? The only 480 hp GT time available is the Bullit and that is with a manual. We all know the GT is about 0.4-0.5 sec faster in the auto. That margin, with the auto, might be wider still. Also, the Bullit did not have the PP2 suspension that the Mach 1 has which helped the PP2 get faster than a GT and so the Mach 1 with auto could be faster still. The PP2 is 0.2 sec faster than a manual GT or GT PP1.

i will wait for the car mag times and see but I suspect this car to be faster than its predecessors.
And just think what would be if it had 500-510 HP instead of 480. Not to mention the cache of its own unique engine spec, the true pinnacle of 5.0 performance.
Sponsored