BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Jarstang, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarstang

Jarstang Administrator
    Administrator

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    0   0   0
    Mustang Mach 1 Returning for 2021 Model Year As Limited-Edition Pinnacle of Style, Handling and 5.0-liter V8 Performance | Ford Media Center

Mach-1-Teaser.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., May 29, 2020 – With speed, style and a name that embodies both, Ford today announces the Mustang Mach 1 is roaring back to life this year, with its debut coming this spring.

The iconic fastback coupe that debuted during the first golden era of muscle cars in the late-1960s now returns for global Mustang enthusiasts looking for the epitome of naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 performance in a new golden age of power as a new choice in the lineup of the world’s best-selling sports car.

“Mach 1 has a special place in Mustang history, and it’s time for this special edition to claim the top spot in our 5.0-liter V8 performance lineup and reward our most hardcore Mustang enthusiasts who demand that next level of power, precision and collectability,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford Icons. “Like the original, the all-new Mustang Mach 1 will be true to its heritage, delivering great looks and as the most track-capable 5.0-liter Mustang ever.”

Continuing the legacy of Mach 1

Mach 1 debuted for the 1969 model year and immediately carved out its place in the Mustang lineup, delivering performance and improved dynamics with its GT handling suspension. In the years that followed, Mach 1 saw improved performance versus Mustang GT and was more attainable than Shelby and Boss variants.

“Mach 1 has always been that bridge between base Mustangs and the Shelby models,” said Ted Ryan, heritage brand manager, Ford Archives. “From a style and handling perspective, the original Mach 1 managed to stand out as unique, even in the Mustang lineup – and as the name implies, it could really move.”

Two years after its debut, Mach 1 with its competition suspension hit the streets in 1971 longer and larger than the original, with an assortment of powerful engine options. In 1974, Mach 1 again saw major changes, reimagined for the first time as a hatchback. This Mach 1 generation enjoyed a five-year run and beefed up its handling capabilities more with an optional Rallye Suspension Package.

Mach 1 returned for 2003 and 2004 model years, blending modern power with the nostalgia of 1970s-era Mach 1 design elements. Its unique Mach 1 handling suspension with larger Brembo front-disc brakes improved on-road performance, while its matte black spoiler and hood stripe helped the coupe standout.

Seventeen years later, the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is set to return as the most track-ready 5.0-liter Mustang ever, once again delivering design magic while adding to its performance legacy.

Mach-1-Teaser-1.jpg
    Mach-1-Teaser-2.jpg

2. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Well its about time! HURRAH! :rockon::clap::sunglasses:

Roadway 5.0 and Hack like this.
  3. EFI

EFI Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    5.Br0
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    So basically a PP2 with a fancy badge.

Hopefully it comes with all the GT350 TP coolers if they say it's the most track ready non Shelby Mustang.

4. Twin Turbo

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Guess we'll just have to wait for the drip feed of spec information though :like:

5. Bikeman315

Bikeman315 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ira
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT/CS
    Retired
    0   0   0
    If this comments are true than this will be a lot more than just a PP2. Are we talking about beyond the GT350? We'll see.

6. Twin Turbo

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    It won't top a GT350......I'm sure they're specific in say "top spot in the 5.0 performance"...........it'd imagine a suspension/brake setup being a mix of PP2/GT350 along with the coolers from the GT350. Power-wise, hopefully a little more than the Bullitt.......500hp would be cool

7. dfanucci

dfanucci Member

Vehicle(s):
    68 Mustang Coupe
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    It states right in the damn article that the Mach's were always a bridge between base and Shelby. This is not going to be any different. Think tweaked PP2. It's a good move for Ford as slapping another 65K+ car under the brand would not be a money maker. If I'd guess, I'd say it's stopover to the 22 GT350/550 cars.

Not a bad looking car, and it's great to see the Mach name again. Had a 2003 and loved it...

CD3, cmxPPL219 and zackmd1 like this.
  8. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 Z06 with Z07
    0   0   0
    I don't like the nostrils in the grill. Even with lights it wouldn't look right on the S550.

9. EFI

EFI Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    5.Br0
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I just wonder what exactly can they do to go above and beyond the PP2 but still stay well clear of the GT350.

The PP2 already has updated mag ride suspension, similar to the GT350. The PP2 already has Torsen diff like in the GT350, radiator like in the GT350,

That's why I think they should and will include the coolers from the GT350, and maybe a bit more power. But the PP2 is already pretty high up there with the GT350 besides the power obviously.

10. Shifting_Gears

Shifting_Gears Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    Business Management
    0   0   0
    I concur - it’ll be a PP2 with a power bump (hopefully starting with a 5), plus Mach specific styling inside and out. Coolers would be awesome.

The defining GT350 separation is 5.0 vs 5.2.

Excited about this one!

11. Bikeman315

Bikeman315 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ira
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT/CS
    Retired
    0   0   0
    DUH! Good point on the 5.0. Need to clean my glasses. :giggle:

Twin Turbo likes this.
  12. ihc95

ihc95 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GTPP A10 401A
    Mechanical Engineer
    0   0   0
    I bet it's basically a PP2 with coolers and a different front fascia. I'm curious about the power updates. Maybe it'll use the new Ford power pack or just be a copy of the Bullitt with the GT350 intake manifold. I am a litlle disappointed they went with the Cup 2 tires here, most guys will have to swap them out with more streetable tires. Hopefully this is available with the 10-speed!

13. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang, Fiesta
    0   0   0
    Ughh those bastards at Ford just had to make the Mach 1 so cool that I want one bad! Excited to see it without the camo and get the final details!

The wheels look different and cool - I like the rear spoiler... not thrilled with the circular openings but if they are something like Dodge does with openings inside fog lights they might look good.

Hopefully it has the GT350 transmission with a cooler and a rear diff cooler. Those are the real key functional items for me.

14. DonnieO

DonnieO Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 mustang gt cs
    0   0   0
    305s on the front!. I see a roll cage in it as well.

15. Birddogjr350

Birddogjr350 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    james
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 Ford F150 FX4
    0   0   0
    I'm Drooling good job FORD!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.