Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not sure why you think everyone's value proposition is the same. i see no problem with the sticker cost of the Mach 1 fully loaded. Ford is in the business to make money. Yes, they will attempt to do this at the expense of the buyer using whatever they feel they need to do. They will try to extract every penny they can and nostalgia is a powerful weapon. They know there are folks who will happily pay more for something they feel is important to them and quite frankly, in my opinion that is ok. Are they in some way providing a Mach 1 in some false advertising or hiding some facts that would be underhanded or illegal? If not, then maybe there is really nothing wrong with getting one.

For those that have the money and don't care that the car may only be "worth" 40k in parts bin parts, getting one is just fine. I for one would be happy to buy one if they eventually come out with a grabber blue version and if they don't the orange looks mighty good too. Trust me, the 50k+ that I would need to pay is just a means to an end.

Maybe this iteration of the Mach 1 is just not for you (psst that is ok too!). I get that maybe you wanted it to be something more. I would have liked to see it be even more special, but it isn't so either you get one or wait to see if there is another special version. My guess is that the next special version will be a hybrid or full EV. If that floats your boat you will most likely be in luck! Hey, if they come out with a Boss version in a few years, I will have to seriously consider it, whether I get a Mach 1 or not.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No it's not. The 51k config you're referencing is a 401A-trim PP2 which sells at 46k every day of the week vs it's 51k sticker. But lets be dishonest and call a 401A PP2 equivalent to a 600A trim Mach1 for the sake of argument since Ford leather is garbage. The Tremec and coolers could be bought at retail for the 5 grand difference. Sell the zero-mile MT82-D4 and you get a couple grand back easy which nets out the GT350 intake and TB. The Mach1 is a lousy deal as crafted. If it is sold at 8-10% discount just like all the rest of the lineup, THEN and only then does the value position approach "good".
It's a little too soon to say with any real basis that the Mach 1 is a lousy deal.

I have my doubts that the 3160 and coolers swap could be done for $5k including competent professional installation.

Norm

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have my doubts that the 3160 and coolers swap could be done for $5k including competent professional installation.

Norm
Oh god, if you factor in a professional installation... yeah, I’d say save about $15k for all that lol

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, the trans alone is $5500 (since you won’t have the $1000 core because you’re doing a trans upgrade, not a direct swap), then you got an extra $700 for the cooler kit (because it won’t be included with the trans), then $2k for the diff cooler, then $560 for the GT350 catridge style oil filter adapter, then an oil cooler (Ford doesn’t sell that alone, so I guess you could go for Mishimoto for $800), and then all the programming involved to get the car to work correctly with the TR3160. That’s not even everything involved and we’re already at $9560 for mostly OEM quality parts, AND you still have to pay for installation, AND you still lose your warranty

Again, if you don’t care about warranties or don’t need OEM parts or don’t mind turning wrenches on your own, then sure, a standard GT is your best bet. But to that point, really ANY Mustang above a base model GT is a waste of money, all the way from the Bullitt to the GT500. Hell, anything over a base Ecoboost Mustang is a waste considering you could pick one up for a touch over $20k, slap an LS in it, and build one hell of a race car for less than a base GT. But that’s not everyone’s sauce :shrug:

CB5D521B-55CB-40EA-85B6-CF5AD74A281D.png

6468A96A-14F8-4936-BCC8-FBB9449A7AF5.png

4635B833-6963-4F27-ACCE-862BE9E6477D.png

9BF0B0A4-F6B0-4EE8-91FD-9A5BD03D3F3A.png

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, the trans alone is $5500
what the hell are you talking about? https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/M-7000-M8S is a mere 3200. The part# you cite is $4300 and maybe even less. Not 5500. And you'd have to be a fool to pay Ford asking price on the Diff cooler kit when you can buy better parts at a fraction of the price.

Furthermore if the MT82-D4 carries a price of $3,675.54 and the TR3160 is $4300, Ford charging even a grand over equivalent feature PP2 car for the trans is rich. That exact same diff cooler setup was $1600 a few short weeks ago and you can buy all the equivalent parts for about $700.

1000+700+1600=$3300. That's the price of the increased content in the Mach1. Exactly where I placed it months ago. The cost delta to ford is probably 2 grand if that. Charging 5 grand is highway robbery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I’d rather buy all the goodies in stock form from factory, pay a little more to have no issues or noises.
I wouldn’t do major surgery on my new car to save a couple bucks.
I also think you guys are missing the fact that you are paying for a uniquely styled mustang that won’t be Made in the normal GT, it is a special limited edition. It will hold its value better to make up the extra couple grand I pay for it.
I will defend my decision to pay msrp and I have learned my lesson in my old age that aftermarket upgrades can bring lot of headaches I don’t have time for anymore.
Mic drop

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Wait a year and pick up a MACH 1 for $40k...
I’d rather buy all the goodies in stock form from factory, pay a little more to have no issues or noises.
I wouldn’t do major surgery on my new car to save a couple bucks.
I also think you guys are missing the fact that you are paying for a uniquely styled mustang that won’t be Made in the normal GT, it is a special limited edition. It will hold its value better to make up the extra couple grand I pay for it.
I will defend my decision to pay msrp and I have learned my lesson in my old age that aftermarket upgrades can bring lot of headaches I don’t have time for anymore.
Mic drop
I’ll raise you and see that same Mach 1 in 1-2 years after the fact for $35k-$40k all day long... You’re kidding yourself, there is no investment value because all Ford does anymore is create cookie cut vehicles with no true limited production figures.

Ford water downed the Bullitt by making it a 2 year production run. Anyone who paid in excess of $60k+ for one just to be ‘the first’ to claim ownership will NEVER see that $60k again, unless theirs was the lowest build # of the production cycle for Year 1 or Year 2 and it’s mothballed in a climate controlled garage with all docs and was never driven.

The same is true with the GT350’s. Anyone who bought one with investment brains is kidding themselves thinking a modern S550 GT350 (EXCLUDING R’s) will be worth north of $70k, let alone $80k-$100k plus in the years to come. Why? Too many of them produced between 2015 and 2020 and aside from the R, they’re not unique enough. Let’s not even delve into the multiple Voodoo engine issues that now people are aware of and those who had a replacement can’t and won’t ever get even close to MSRP on a future sale.

For some reason folks today think they’re going to cash in on modern vehicles as investments. Sorry, but that S550 won’t ever command “Classic Shelby, BOSS or Mach 1 money”.... too many dreamers thinking they’re gonna cash out Barrett Jackson style...

The only way a S550 Mach 1 will cash out in the future is IF it’s one of the lowest build #’s produced, with a unique set of equipped options AND it’s never taken out of the wrapper.

Not trying to offend, just stating the facts. Come back to this thread in 5... no better, 10 years and let me know how you’re doing and how much that investment grew by paying MSRP or in excess of MSRP for ANY Ford (again, aside from a Shelby R OR Ford GT).

You want investment value on modern day Ford? Buy a Ford GT (any year), stash it away and cash out in 5-10 years for double and now in some instances, just about triple of what was paid. Even an S550 GT350 R - very limited numbers, that’s where you place black or red bets on “collectibility”....

Don’t be a 2000 Cobra R Buyer who paid $75k+++ for one of those - banking on “investment”. Hell, it’s 20 years later and those poor folks who did lay out $75k+++ still can’t even recoup MSRP, let alone $75k+++. LMFAO.... the 2003/04 Cobra dashed those dreams....

Again in no way am I trying to shit on anyone’s parade. - I applaud all who can or will buy a Mach 1, but for investment dreams, paying MSRP or in excess of due to ADM with thoughts of monetary gains in the future? Drive it into the ground and enjoy it. It’s released because it is the end of the S550 era and just another Mustang that Ford raided the parts bins to hype up “collectibility“ to make sales.

So for discussion purposes, tell me - where are all of the 03/04 Mach 1’s - are they vested to now bringing in the big bucks? What about the 2012/13 BOSS Mustangs - that are $35k all day long? That’s where I’m going with the “limited editions”.

You want an S550 that will be worth some future coin - go grab a true 2015 50th Anniversary NOW and garage it. Only 1,964 were made - THE LOWEST build and production quantity S550 out of all to date. That will be $$$ in another 10-15 years; trust me on that and come back to this thread to thank me. I‘m not saying it will be a $100k car in 10-15years, but due to its unique parts and very low production count it is already quickly appreciating and WILL be worth more than a cookie cut 2015-2020 GT350, Bullitt or Mach 1.

:handshake::beer:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You want an S550 that will be worth some future coin ... That will be $$$ in another 10-15 years;
with the tiny caveat that there is any practical let alone legal ownership of ICE permitted in 10-15 years. My spidy sense is that if ownership is not outright banned except for display purposes, the gas if not more likely registration taxes will be severe and thus 'cost to own' will obliterate any pipe dreams about transportation equipment values.

It's the same in housing. The 300,000 home value plummets when the state/county raise taxes. The 'value' of the house doesn't change as such - the wood, plaster and sheetmetal identifying as appliances didn't really change but the affordability did. Same thing the other way. That $300k house is over 500 today only because the mortgage rates are 3% even on NINJA. Reassert 7-10% interest rates and the value will crater to $200k. Again, no material change in the 'value' of the ingredients but rather (un)affordability to own.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know reading may be hard for someone like you, so let’s break this down nice and easy

what the hell are you talking about? https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/M-7000-M8S is a mere 3200. The part# you cite is $4300 and maybe even less. Not 5500.
As I said, the part I posted is $4600 PLUS a $1000 core charge, which you won’t get back because you don’t have a core to trade in since you’re doing a swap, not a replacement. That’s for a 2018 GT350 trans. If you found it cheaper, good for you, but that just goes to show that not everyone will find it at the same price, and if we’re being honest here, MOST dealerships will likely have the part sourced for even more money than either of us found the part for

And you'd have to be a fool to pay Ford asking price on the Diff cooler kit when you can buy better parts at a fraction of the price.
Again, as I said in my post, you CAN do it cheaper if you don’t want OEM parts. But we’re talking about the cost to build a Mach 1 equivalent, which means parts that have had hundreds of thousands of miles of R&D testing. Hell, I could probably patch together a diff cooler kit in my garage for a couple hundred bucks, but I wouldn’t trust that as well as I’d trust an OEM Ford variant

Furthermore if the MT82-D4 carries a price of $3,675.54
What the MT82D4 costs from the manufacturer is completely irrelevant. We’re talking about how much YOU could build a Mach 1 equivalent for. If we’re being realistic, Ford doesn’t even pay that $3675, they probably pay closer to $500 per unit. But regardless, that means nothing in this discussion. The bottom line is when you buy that Tremec, you probably won’t be able to recoup any more than $500 for your MT82, especially considering it’ll be without a clutch or flywheel

and the TR3160 is $4300
See, now you can’t even figure out a consistent price for it

Ford charging even a grand over equivalent feature PP2 car for the trans is rich.
except, as we’ve discussed, it’s not just a trans upgrade

That exact same diff cooler setup was $1600 a few short weeks ago and you can buy all the equivalent parts for about $700.
Got any proof of that price a few short weeks ago? I’m gonna guess not. But either way, it’s irrelevant because that’s what it costs now, so that’s the only cost you actually have to go on. And again, building your own isn’t relevant in this conversation

1000+700+1600=$3300. That's the price of the increased content in the Mach1. Exactly where I placed it months ago.
Hey, watch this, I can make up numbers too! 5000+27000+1000000=1,032,000... damn, guess the Mach 1 is a steal!

But really, even assuming that the price difference in parts is actually only $3300 (which we’ve covered that that’s absolutely not the case), the Mach 1 is only about $3k more than an equally optioned PP2, so who cares?

The cost delta to ford is probably 2 grand if that. Charging 5 grand is highway robbery.
I don’t know where you keep getting this imaginary 5 grand from. We’ve already discussed Mach 1 + 700A = 52,600 whereas PP2 401A + B&O sound = 52,000... that doesn’t sound like a $5k difference to me :shrug:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Isn't the Mach 1 HP more like a PP2?

Shouldn't we be comparing the Mach 1 HP to a PP2 and not the Mach 1?

From my understanding much of what is standard on the PP2 is seen in the HP with the addition of a few coolers, suspension tunability parts, wing and Bullitt engine parts.

Not sure which is the right GT is the proper comparison.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the Mach 1 HP more like a PP2?

Shouldn't we be comparing the Mach 1 HP to a PP2 and not the Mach 1?

From my understanding much of what is standard on the PP2 is seen in the HP with the addition of a few coolers, suspension tunability parts, wing and Bullitt engine parts.

Not sure which is the right GT is the proper comparison.
I mean, I guess you can add the HP to the Mach 1 ($3500) and then also add the swing (cant find a price for the OEM swing, but the OEM track pack GT350 spoiler is $1100) and the camber plates and gurney flap (camber plates currently on sale for $350, normally $500. And gurney flap again can’t find an OEM price, but Anderson Composites does have one for $600) for the PP2 (total of $2200) and you have a whopping $1300 difference... so overall less than $2k difference in price between a stock PP2 with swing and camber plates and a Mach 1 HP

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think people just aren’t used to how expensive Mustangs now are, so anything above $50k that doesn’t have that “speshul snek” badge seems absurd even though the value proposition is most definitely there

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
there is also one more thing you left out.
I recall my '19 PP2 went up a couple grand in 2020. I am sure the Mach 1 will be hit with regular price increase and it may just happen to be that time of year.

Part of that price increase could be attributed to simply regular price increases not to mention the impact of COVID, the election, etc.

$2K is not that much for all you get.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
there is also one more thing you left out.
I recall my '19 PP2 went up a couple grand in 2020. I am sure the Mach 1 will be hit with regular price increase and it may just happen to be that time of year.

Part of that price increase could be attributed to simply regular price increases not to mention the impact of COVID, the election, etc.

$2K is not that much for all you get.
Nah, PP2 price stayed at $6500, PP1 is the one that increased to (I think) $5500. It’s a shame that PP2 is being discontinued for 2021, but regardless, the Mach 1 still isn’t a bad value considering what you get under a factory warranty

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
nobody and i mean nobody is going to buy a mustang GT and right away take out the mt82 and put in the 3160. It’s not only a waste of money, it doesn’t do you any good unless you actually beat on the car or it’s going to be a full on race car. It’s cheaper to invest in a t56, or just buy a mach 1 lol
Sponsored