This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
No mention of sync 4? Still looks like the sync 3 cluster..
They do have an 8 inch variant of Sync 4 so that is likely what will be included. Would require no new hardware or tooling which keeps Ford's effort at near ZERO for these new upgrades which Ford seems insistent on doing with the classic Mustang now.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Good solid effort here by Ford. I like the cooling and that they spent the money for the Tremec with cooling, added engine cooling as well as diff cooling. I like the wheels. They are different but still look quite good to me. I think if you buy one of these and run it on the road course you will like it. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets good reviews as well.

The engine power, meh. I had hoped they were going to increase engine power somehow. They are waaaaaaay too locked into that 5.0 displacement, which is dumb in my opinion. It is played out. Just increase displacement already so you can give us more power with great reliability.

The hood is way too subtle. The stripe does complement the car, but I don't especially like it. And the hood doesn't even look unique to me. I wanted to see a cool hood on this car.

I agree with others about the appearance of the grill. Not that good.

I would have liked to see a PDR added by now. I realize if it isn't on the GT500, the Mach won't get it. However, it's time.

I like that the large screen seems to come standard. Ford usually cheaps out on interiors too much. Hopefully this doesn't mean the car will be excessively expensive.

Limited: either plan to wait or to work really hard to get a deal on this car for the next couple years.
Damn, Hack

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on this, especially the hood. I'm not hating on the grille, but I'm not loving it either. Definitely think Ford needs to get on the PDR bandwagon, especially for a track car. 1LE will have HUD and PDR for less $.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I hope so, wondering what this means

"The all-new and limited-edition 2021 Mustang Mach 1 will arrive in U.S. and Canadian Ford dealerships in the spring of 2021."

Press release says global availability. It only discusses North America timing, but does say global availability.

From the press release..... “This is one of those special Mustangs that truly brings a smile to the faces of our owners, enthusiasts and fans – including me – so there’s never been a better time to bring back Mach 1 and have it go global too.”
I quote....

"“Bold styling, great acceleration and speed – Mach 1 says it all,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s chief operating officer. “This is one of those special Mustangs that truly brings a smile to the faces of our owners, enthusiasts and fans – including me – so there’s never been a better time to bring back Mach 1 and have it go global too.”

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Damn, Hack

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on this, especially the hood. I'm not hating on the grille, but I'm not loving it either. Definitely think Ford needs to get on the PDR bandwagon, especially for a track car. 1LE will have HUD and PDR for less $.
Pdr?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Damn, Hack

The 1LE is a great package. I just wish the car and engine were a little better. I don't love the cave feeling of the interior or the way the LS engines rev out. But it's cool to get the track goodies in a vehicle that isn't limited production and really isn't that expensive.

Performance Data Recorder that you can use for filming track laps. Yes it's a fluffy deal rather than something you have to have, but it would be really nice to be able to film and review your laps and have that functionality within the stock car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not a fan of the fake fogs on the S550 at all, though, but they at least finally fixed the 2018+ front fascia with this one. That looks excellent. A grille change away from looking fabulous.
You're right! The front end styling (with the exception of the grill) is a huge improvement over the 2018+ vehicles. That bit almost slipped by me. Yeah this would be an awesome looking car with just a change to the grill.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Now it’s up to Ford to price this right and the dealers follow suit.They should target a price range comparable to a Camaro ss 1le (1ss,2ss). If they price this above that, then this car better be putting lap times faster than the Camaro. I m hoping for a 44 grand starting price for the Mach1.

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Is that the PP2 chin splitter or a modified version of it? Looks bigger, but totally in love with it, Maybe because it is an entirely different front bumper.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
The 1LE is a great package. I just wish the car and engine were a little better. I don't love the cave feeling of the interior or the way the LS engines rev out. But it's cool to get the track goodies in a vehicle that isn't limited production and really isn't that expensive.

Performance Data Recorder that you can use for filming track laps. Yes it's a fluffy deal rather than something you have to have, but it would be really nice to be able to film and review your laps and have that functionality within the stock car.
gotcha. and yes, certainly on a track oriented car that should be there, here, and the shelby's, and probably at least the PP2 should have it, and the HP Eco, if not all cars...what is it, a camera, some software and a flash drive.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
There's a lot under the skin there. Coolers, new trans, Bullitt engine, etc. The revised front fascia is nice too.

This does to the S550 what the Boss did to the S197. A few styling changes and it really sharpens up the car. The Tremec is a fantastic addition. I hope it's here to stay, and the customer feedback is so positive it is implemented across the board down the road.

Priced in low to mid 50's should be appropriate and if delivered, would be a great buy.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I like the car. Looks good. Sounds like the PP2 might also be gone based on the way they talk about the specs. As for tranny, will have to wait an see. Sounds good but they could still be making a cheap unit.

Wonder how many of the Mach 1 parts will be able to just bolt up to other Mustangs?

Grill is nice and I like the additional coolers. The fake fogs are ugly but I bet there will be either a Ford or aftermarket swap for real fog lamps. With so much already coming with the car, they need to sell something over the counter as a dealer option. They will make some sort of illumination package and add them. Either that or when it is time for a refresh, they will add them then.

I will say I wish they made a dark blue metallic instead of the Velocity Blue. The Kona is too purple for me. Just want a dark blue. Also, I prefer my Ruby red metallic over race red. Race red looks too much like enamel nail polish to me. I want a car with depth in its paint. enamels without translucent layers and metal flake do not have depth. Also, the yellow and orange might not have much depth but I do think the car will look great in both of those colors. The white is cool too.

In the end, there is not enough there for me to sell my '19 GT PP2 to get a Mach 1. I will also bet the cost will be stupid high for what you get. 20 hp is barely felt and hardly changes the stats. Only a good driver will be able to eek out a difference between the PP2 and the Mach 1 and I am not a good driver. Add a diff cooler and the PP2 is a steal.

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
Now it’s up to Ford to price this right and the dealers follow suit.They should target a price range comparable to a Camaro ss 1le (1ss,2ss). If they price this above that, then this car better be putting lap times faster than the Camaro. I m hoping for a 44 grand starting price for the Mach1.
We can only dream of that price point. ss 1le has the same track times as a gt350 so I don't think it will match that. If a person truly liked both cars and lap times were important they would choose the Camaro.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OK, several things are awesome: Tremec ... *boom*, nicely upgraded A10, lots of coolers, handling tweaks all over, Handling Package adds some slick components, neat updates to the M6 that weren't present in the GT350 application - also the mention of "optional leather", sounds like maybe a base model will be available (er, more base-ish vs. the Bullit for example).

I'm ambivalent about: New fascia, I mean, it's fine (the glossy holes are weird ...), I like all of the S550 front end variants. I didn't see any mention that the rear valance is from the GT500 (isn't it?)

Meh list: I'm not a "graphics guy", I'd prefer an options without, prefer 20" wheels, but I guess for performance, 19" are better, but the two biggest omissions:

Brakes. Dudes, they're sitting right there in the parts bin* ... GT350, you're already using the 6-speed.

HP. I can't believe they didn't tweak this just a __little__. I mean, another 20 and the marketing would be fantastic: 500 HP, our most powerful 5.0 ...

This is an interesting quote:

“When you look through the heritage, we thought the automatic worked better with the Mach 1 nomenclature,” said Mustang Chief Engineer Carl Widmann. “This is a global product, so we’ll hit almost 50 countries with this car. From the engine perspective, that was one thing in a Boss world that we’d have wanted in the 525-hp range, which we didn’t go into in the Mach 1. We wanted to use the motor from the Bullitt in an application for the automatic.”

A bit of a hint towards a new Boss, like this car, manual only, 525HP (and then MAYBE it'll get the brake upgrade). Also sounds like a Boss might not be a global product[?]

* To be clear, I think "parts bin" cars are more than fine (especially when the bin is full of some outstanding options...),we get this kind of bang-for-the-buck because shared parts, resources, etc.
Sponsored