bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I bought a 2018 EB Premium Auto and was quite happy with it initially. Over the next year, I found I really missed the rumble of the V8 and ended up trading for a 2019 GT Premium Auto. You really need to drive the GT with the windows down and then make you choice. That V8 sound is worth every extra penny. Also, having now driven over 6000 miles with the GT, I'm averaging 22 MPG on 93 pump gas with a 70/30 city/highway mix.
There are dozens of guys on this forum that used to argue til the point of tears. About how amazing an EB was. And how they were perfectly happy with it. And yet they went out and traded for a GT as soon as they could afford it. That scenario in the opposite direction is extremely rare. Buy what makes the most sense for you. And I can see where an EB makes a lot of sense as a daily. But do it once.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That’s exactly what I ordered.

I know it is sacrilege, but I did not want the V8. I test drove a 6 speed V8 and it was a lot of fun, but I really questioned how often I would use the full 460 HP. I felt the 330 HP of the ecoboost HPP was plenty for me and I loved how it handled with the Handling Package. But then again, that is just me.

Yes, I understand nothing sounds like a V8, but I like how my HPP sounds in Sport and Track mode. I got every option you could get on a HPP except the A10 and the Recaros. (Didn't want to drive an automatic and I loved the premium seats.) But that is the best part of a Mustang. You can buy it anyway you want from a base rental version all the way up to a fire breathing GT500. I admire everyone's car I see here and love the enthusiasm everyone shows for their Mustang. I've wanted a Mustang for over 40 years, way back in college. Now I have the exact one I wanted and I could not be happier.

Order the Mustang YOU want and you can’t go wrong.
The HPP seems like quite the upgrade over the normal ecoboost, how do you like it? Whats the Powerband like?

Last edited:

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I'm thinking of at least checking out the HHP EB. I've had 3 V8 Mustangs and just want something different. What I really want is something with more instant torque off the line. I know the GT has more, but the turbos are much easier to gain power and just a tune usually does wonders. I really like the look of the HHP's too, but I haven't heard one in person and have to admit I love the V8 sound. I'll probably end up getting a scat pack or maybe something like the new Supra if prices come down, but still up in the air at this point.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GT... I couldn’t own an EB Mustang. Focus ST/RS? Perfect. EB Ranger? Sign me up. The EB 2.3 is a great engine and does what it’s designed to do well.

However...

Mustang and V8 are synonymous. I also second - if you’re asking, get the V8. It’s raw, visceral and provides what the EB can’t. Pure NA, high revving power and and endless soundtrack of V8 music. Watching the tach hit or exceed 7,000 f’ing RPM’s does something to move the soul.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
The HPP seems like I've quite the upgrade over the normal ecoboost, how do you like it? Whats the Powerband like?
I spent a good amount of time test driving a Base manual 2020 GT and it was great fun. I see the appeal. I do. But my driving doesn’t involve drag or track time. And I know I won’t modify my car (other than having the dealer remove the silver hood stripes I didn’t care for.) I wanted something distinctive, fun to drive out of the box. I haven’t seen another HPP on the road. I wonder if it has been a sales success for Ford? Then again not a lot of new cars have been sold lately.

The HPP with the handling package was tailored made for me. I had never driven a turbo before the EB Mustang and it was very responsive to me. I hit the gas and it moves smartly. I mostly enjoy driving the Wasatch canyons where the handling package and manual transmission is so much fun.

I drove an EB convertible rental on the Big Island in Feb 2019 for two weeks and really enjoyed it, even though it was a rental (premium without the 201A). It’s when I got the Mustang virus. Did a ton of research and ordered what I wanted.

Only one person has given me the “Why didn’t you get a V8?” question. She drives a Infiniti Q30.

9234E605-4B85-4278-857A-D13B605D0165.jpeg

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
If you don't care about the V8 sound, why pay the premium. Get an EB and be done with it. Personally, I don't know if I could ever go back to a N/A V8 after having 800 plus HP Supercharged Coyote. The GT500 is slower than my car. Power is addicting. Knowing what I know now, I would have dumped the PP1 and bought a coil over kit and sway bars for a base GT with Supercharger.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I don't know why they ditched the six. A turbo or SC six cylinder would have been more appealing than the four.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why they ditched the six. A turbo or SC six cylinder would have been more appealing than the four.
the 3.5EB totally belongs in the Mustang line-up IMO. I keep trying to reach for the shifter paddles on my F150 steering wheel. But at least I do have some control with the sport shifter.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
While the EB is a very, very nice engine, and in my case it would have made a lot more sense than a GT, I just couldn't get over the feeling that I would have been buying a Focus RS in Mustang clothes. :blush:
And if I wanted a Focus RS, then I would buy a Focus RS in the first place.
It's silly, I know, but I can't help it. That's how I feel. :blush:

Mavro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost w/ PP
I got my EB 6 months ago and decided to get it over the V8 because my commute to work is 2 hours back and forth. It's my first Mustang and use it as a d.d. Love the car but I definitely see why they call it the gateway car. I already have the itch for the V8. I'm going to enjoy my pony but eventually the next one will be a coyote. I have to experience that V8 rumble.

Sponsored

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
I bought the GT because I wanted to hear it. I love the EcoBoost. I had a Ranger and a Lincoln MKS EcoBoost. Awesome motors. I really disliked the 10 speed in the Ranger. Crazy amount of difference. This new GT is a completely different driving experience. I’m losing a bunch of power at my altitude but it still pulls and sounds so good. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another EcoBoost though. As a matter of fact, at this altitude is probably a close race as far as power is concerned between the V8 and 4 banger.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
"GT or EB?"

Is that a trick question? Or maybe you're looking to generate a lot of impassioned comments just for the fun of it?

The serious answer is, drive both and buy the one you like better. There is (usually...) no 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to cars. Do whatever floats your boat. Chocolate or vanilla. If you like it, prefer it, and have fun with it, then it's the right choice for you.

BUT, given that....

The 'real' performance-oriented Mustang has always been the V8 (turbo 4 SVO's notwithstanding). The classic recipe for the traditional pony car was a V8 engine. The Mustangs most people remember fondly and lust after, the original Shelby Mustangs (GT350 and 500), the GT390, the Mach 1 (of the 1960's) were all V8 powered. There's nothing 'wrong' with the EB. But those kinds of engines will be around for a while. The Coyote V8, not so much.

The V8's days are numbered, for many reasons. Fuel economy, emissions, cost to manufacture, market demand, all are conspiring to bring the V8's days to an end. The next-generation Mustang will likely be some kind of hybrid, and the all-electric Mach-E abomination is already upon us. If you want the inimitable driving thrill of a classic, naturally-aspirated V8 engine, with that matchless sound and incomparable feel, time is running out. The world is increasingly and quickly going to the ubiquitous 'turbo-4's' and hybrid drivetrains, mostly paired with automatic transmissions. Like it or not (and I personally don't), that's the future. There are maybe a couple of years left to get a naturally-aspirated, unadulterated V8 with a manual transmission. If you don't care about that, then it doesn't matter. But if you do, the time is running out. Once it's gone, it won't be coming back (at least not in an affordable package like the Mustang).

It's last call for the V8.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Good point.
While I think that V8s in general are still going to be with us for quite some time, this may be the last call for a 'clean', pure V8. A couple of luxury brands still offer V8 engines and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future, but those are turbocharged, plagued by abominations like stop&start, or systems that turn off some of the cyllinders when the ECU thinks you don't need them, on the outside they sound like a straight four that's a bit sick, and inside they play fake sound through the speakers. The difference between those and a Coyote is like watching Charlize Theron on television versus having sex with her. There's no replacement for the real thing.
Besides the RS thing I mentioned above, this was another reason why I chose the GT instead of the more rational EB - it could be my last chance.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm feeling frustrated because I think we aren't linking across some void created by indifference toward certain global aspects of perception. We have tremendous abilities to sense, appreciate, and respond to the universe at large. All those are common. It's the level of significance that discriminates among comprehension and acceptance, and determines subsequent behaviors.

To my way of thinking, there is a serious difference between "feel" and "think". Living by one does not eliminate the influence of the other, or require acknowledgement of the existence or interplay between them.

I enjoyed, even reveled in, the V8 experiences, would not have missed them for anything (almost), but now the EcoBoost™ is most appropriate for my status. I might eventually look back at this interval as a big mistake, but at the moment I'm happy and confident to be where I am.
I'd have to read this a few times to fully digest it. Deep stuff!

Yeah, every time when I look back after I park the car, I'm smiling like an idiot,,, but feel the itch isn't fully scratched partly because mine is a leased stang...
Interesting observation about the "itch" and lease connection. I can see how it wouldn't be the same as owning the car. The feeling is amplified when you own the car outright (no loan!).

Seriously, I'm not trying to disregard other's safety, but wearing a mask is true ***... the virus can get into yr eye, and NY government think they did a good job controlling the virus cause we stayed home w no income and had some stupid mask on even in bed,,,
But wearing a mask at least make others feel better and I still do.
Just wish States can stop saying random craps...
The mask is designed to keep things underneath the mask of the wearer, to protect others from yourself. It's like covering your mouth when you cough. It's not necessarily to keep yourself safe from others. I'm no liberal, but I do respect others around me, so wearing a mask is more about the whole collective, rather than an individual. If someone sneezes or coughs near me, I really hope they are wearing their mask right now.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I spent a good amount of time test driving a Base manual 2020 GT and it was great fun. I see the appeal. I do. But my driving doesn’t involve drag or track time. And I know I won’t modify my car (other than having the dealer remove the silver hood stripes I didn’t care for.) I wanted something distinctive, fun to drive out of the box. I haven’t seen another HPP on the road. I wonder if it has been a sales success for Ford? Then again not a lot of new cars have been sold lately.

The HPP with the handling package was tailored made for me. I had never driven a turbo before the EB Mustang and it was very responsive to me. I hit the gas and it moves smartly. I mostly enjoy driving the Wasatch canyons where the handling package and manual transmission is so much fun.

I drove an EB convertible rental on the Big Island in Feb 2019 for two weeks and really enjoyed it, even though it was a rental (premium without the 201A). It’s when I got the Mustang virus. Did a ton of research and ordered what I wanted.

Only one person has given me the “Why didn’t you get a V8?” question. She drives a Infiniti Q30.

9234E605-4B85-4278-857A-D13B605D0165.jpeg
I can see how the HPP Ecoboost would be an OK consolation to the GT. But, it's still way down on power, so I don't think I could do it - I would always long for the "big dog". My last car was a 300 (crank) hp Mazdaspeed3 that I had for 11 years. It weighed 3,140 lbs with almost a full tank of gas. I don't think I could go up in 500 lbs with only a 30 hp increase and have been satisfied - my Speed3 had a better power to weight ratio than the HPP Ecoboost, and it handled great as-is (it's a sporty Mazda) and esp. for a Hatchback. That car was ahead of its time in 2007, IMO. It was the best hot hatch to come out by that time, and 13 years later would still fit in with the likes of the current or more recent hot hatches.

Plus, regarding the GT, as others have said, the sound and NA powerband of the Gen 3 Coyote is really something that rivals engines costing much, much more, IMO. It sounds pretty exotic, esp at 7000+ rpm! Also, my GT is over 500 crank hp with just a K&N intake. The other day, before I put on the K&N intake, I did a 0-60 run in 3.80 seconds. I love knowing that I have a car that, bone stock, can beat up or hang with Supercars from the 90s that I dreamed of.

That said, I'm not trying to change your mind, that was just my personal thoughts on the matter for myself.
Sponsored