Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
CHUCKWALLA CCW 2-16-20

In an effort to get more seat time and drive as many different tracks as I can, Chuckwalla was next on the list.
This time out, I wanted to focus on car control and being more smooth in turns. I noticed at Buttonwillow, I would chop at the steering wheel and jab the brakes and gas. I know I need practice on this.

Morning prep work has become more of a second nature routine now at the track. Got the car ready to go and was ready for the 1st session.

upload_2020-2-17_11-32-28.png

This was my first time out as group 2 (no in-car instructor) which made me a bit nervous as I had never driven this track before. Luckily, the NASA AZ folks started the day off with a lead-follow for people who wanted it. This was a great help to follow an instructor to at least get the line of the track down. That first session was slow, but I wasn't expecting much for the first session of the day. I was, however, trying to get brake temp data. I have been using brake ducts this whole time and was not convinced they were supplying enough cooling. I purchased Vorshlag deflectors and swapped them out in the paddock but I wanted data before and after. I took temperature readings of the brake rotors immediately coming off the track. This, however, did not go as planned. Since that first session was slow, I was not able to get the brakes up to a decent temperature. Data is shown below.

upload_2020-2-17_12-2-58.png

Interestingly, Marco, the designer of the Vorshlag deflectors was there at Chuckwalla and I had the opportunity to talk to him about his product. He was glad to see I made the switch.

I was able to push the car much harder the second session out; maybe a bit too hard. I almost went off track a few times due to carrying too much speed in the turns. Need to brake harder beforehand. I also noticed the traction control was kicking in A LOT which is not a good thing but that tells me I'm pushing the car. I never saw the TC light come on at Autoclub and may have only seen it once at Buttonwillow. I'm getting more comfortable on track and picking up speed; now I need to smooth that speed out.

upload_2020-2-17_12-26-42.png

Still not fast times but those ARE decently consistent times. I'm happy with it.

upload_2020-2-17_12-24-19.png

Third and forth sessions were very similar. They were both much smoother on corner entry and exit but I started to notice my first cooling issues. I have long been reading about cooling issues with the S550 platform but I figured I would address them as they showed up. The 20 min sessions in HPDE aren't long enough to make the diff be a concern but I noticed my engine oil temps about touching the yellow region of the scale. I think those temps are still fine but I would like to keep my motor as happy as can be to prevent further issues. My options at this point would be radiator, oil cooler, hood vents, or simply run thicker oil. That last option might be the cheapest and easiest solution. I might bump up to a 5w40 for Willow Springs in two weeks.

upload_2020-2-17_12-18-19.png

*I didn't take data on the last session*

Lastly, these Bridgestone S007A tires seemed to slide around a lot more than at Buttonwillow. Maybe I'm just getting faster?? But they definitely seemed to be lacking some grip. By the end of the day, they were coated in rubber chunks; do those hinder their grip??

upload_2020-2-17_12-23-24.png

**little tripod action** View attachment 437087
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I think we've tracked together before, good read.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Really?? Where at?
I'm thinking either Buttonwillow or Chuckwalla. I'm usually the only white s550 at the track, same as you probably know the feeling being the only orange one :)

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't recall a white S550 this weekend but my dates are all in my posts. If you were there at the same date, then we were definitely at the track at the same time

Sponsored

cozmo2312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT (current) 2017 Ruby Red GT350 (past)
I don't recall a white S550 this weekend but my dates are all in my posts. If you were there at the same date, then we were definitely at the track at the same time

what did you end up deciding about the SVE wheel situation? it looks like you're still using them at this point.

and speaking on LMR's customer service, it sucks that your wheel cracked, but in my limited experience with them, i can echo your sentiments on the customer service. they have one of the best customer service depts i've ever dealt with. I had ordered a gt350 strut tower brace from them, and UPS completely lost it. called LMR, they started a lost package claim and i had a tracking number for a replacement part before i even got off the phone with them. I figured at the very least id have to wait for the claim to process. nope! great peeps over there.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what did you end up deciding about the SVE wheel situation? it looks like you're still using them at this point.

and speaking on LMR's customer service, it sucks that your wheel cracked, but in my limited experience with them, i can echo your sentiments on the customer service. they have one of the best customer service depts i've ever dealt with. I had ordered a gt350 strut tower brace from them, and UPS completely lost it. called LMR, they started a lost package claim and i had a tracking number for a replacement part before i even got off the phone with them. I figured at the very least id have to wait for the claim to process. nope! great peeps over there.
After discussing with various folks and doing some research, I figured the crack was simply a defect. I know plenty of people who use SVE wheels without fail. They sent me a new wheel (no cracks found) and I have been using them again on track. I would love me some Apex EC7 wheels but I'll use that money for tires, brakes, and more track time instead.

cozmo2312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT (current) 2017 Ruby Red GT350 (past)
After discussing with various folks and doing some research, I figured the crack was simply a defect. I know plenty of people who use SVE wheels without fail. They sent me a new wheel (no cracks found) and I have been using them again on track. I would love me some Apex EC7 wheels but I'll use that money for tires, brakes, and more track time instead.

good to hear. i probably won't ever road course my car, but i am running some SVE wheels, so hopefully it was a one off defect.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In an effort to keep temperatures in check, I finally heat wrapped my exhaust pipes around the diff. I know this isn't a true fix but if this helps slow the diff temperatures from rising even by a little bit, it'll be worth it. Plus it's cheap. I'm sure this would've been easier with the exhaust off the car but it was pretty simple with help from a friend.

upload_2020-2-26_7-6-28.png

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In an effort to keep temperatures in check, I finally heat wrapped my exhaust pipes around the diff. I know this isn't a true fix but if this helps slow the diff temperatures from rising even by a little bit, it'll be worth it. Plus it's cheap. I'm sure this would've been easier with the exhaust off the car but it was pretty simple with help from a friend.

upload_2020-2-26_7-6-28.png
It does work.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WILLOW SPRINGS 2/29/20 & 3/1/20

This track is SO MUCH FUN!! I understand the hype now around it.
I didn't record nearly as much info this time around; I was simply trying to have some fun and focus on being smooth and try to pick up some pace in the turns. My friend and I went out in HPDE 2 and were immediately getting stuck in traffic. My friend's dad (who used to race American Iron back in the day) said both of us should be in group 3. I didn't think I was ready for group 3 but I appreciated the compliment.

Saturday night, my friend's dad convinces us to try to advance to group 3 for the next day. I still didn't think I was ready for it but why not try. I figured I would be in HPDE 2 for this whole season.

Day 2 comes around and we both ask to get checked into HPDE 3 (much faster cars, more dedicated drivers and much less restricted passing). I get an instructor in my car to verify my driving for the first session of the day.
I try my best to be aware of all other drivers, all the flags, and push my car fast but smoothly. After the session, my instructor signs me off to HPDE 3! Finally out of the beginner groups!
I wasn't timing my laps during that session but my friend was timing his. He recorded a 1:43 and I caught up to and passed him after lap 2 or 3 so I'm thinking I might be around a 1:42. I'm happy with that and I know I have a couple corners I'm shaving off too much speed. I think I can get sub 1:40 with more practice.

I was watching my temps throughout the weekend and the highest CHT and diff temp I saw was 220 and the oil was right at the end of the green zone. Ambient temps were low the whole weekend, maybe high 50s and low 60s. As ambient temps get hotter, I think I will for sure see undesirable temps. I will definitely be moving forward with the cooling mods. Race Louvers hood vent and boxing/sealing the radiator are coming within a month or two.

Sadly, no pictures from this weekend.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Congrats on the move up to group 3. It is a great opportunity to trail other car's racing lines to see what works and what doesn't. An exciting place to be. If you ever have any questions along the way, feel free to send over a PM. I have enjoyed following your build so far. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the move up to group 3. It is a great opportunity to trail other car's racing lines to see what works and what doesn't. An exciting place to be. If you ever have any questions along the way, feel free to send over a PM. I have enjoyed following your build so far. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you sir! Track days are my crack now haha! I want to make this a TT3 spec car and eventually get my competition license. My friend and his dad already have a fully built car ready to use.

I've been talking with you and @BmacIL about cooling in another thread. I'm still a bit iffy on my plan forward. I'm fine with cutting a hole in my hood for vents but another friend of mine says I should get an oil cooler first. I know both will help but if I'm to do only one mod first, which will get me the lowest temps?? That's where I'm stuck. Also, does a 170° thermostat help at all? I know it'll get cooled sooner and theoretically prolong the heat soak, but is it by a noticeable amount? I've read some people say it helps and others say don't bother.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir! Track days are my crack now haha! I want to make this a TT3 spec car and eventually get my competition license. My friend and his dad already have a fully built car ready to use.

I've been talking with you and @BmacIL about cooling in another thread. I'm still a bit iffy on my plan forward. I'm fine with cutting a hole in my hood for vents but another friend of mine says I should get an oil cooler first. I know both will help but if I'm to do only one mod first, which will get me the lowest temps?? That's where I'm stuck. Also, does a 170° thermostat help at all? I know it'll get cooled sooner and theoretically prolong the heat soak, but is it by a noticeable amount? I've read some people say it helps and others say don't bother.
If the air isn't getting out, the cooler will only do a little bit. Getting vents right behind the radiator will do a ton, as it'll 1) lower overall engine bay temp, 2) make the radiator more effective, lowering CHTs which 3) further lowers oil temp. Don't bother with the 170 T-stat.
Sponsored