Sponsored

Wear on inside of front tires

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am getting more wear on the inside of my front tires, I am assuming this is because I live in Florida and we have mainly straight roads and the car comes with some camber on the front. I am wondering if I should inflate to a higher pressure to try to move the wear more evenly over the tire tread? They are currently at 32 or so for the front , stock pp1 wheels and tires and alignment.
Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Warranty?? If you haven't had the alignment checked, it might be a good idea. Are you using a depth indicator or just visual?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its kind of common. Wear comes from camber plus toe, (front camber is what it is and isn’t adjustable from the factory, but toe is adjustable). Camber alone doesn’t wear down tires all that quickly. You could try 1-2 PSI more, but its probably not a fix for the problem.

Its a good idea to get your alignment checked once every year or so, or when you upgrade tires. A little bit of toe can be very significant for tire wear.

All that said, its a common thing with our cars to have to throw out tires early due to inside edge wear.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Warranty?? If you haven't had the alignment checked, it might be a good idea. Are you using a depth indicator or just visual?
Just visual you can see a spot on the inside edge is flat where there used to be tread. I forgot to mention I did have 1 inch spacers on the front for a while, I took them off though.

ZtfCjhP.jpg

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
You can also flip tires outside to inside if you catch the problem soon enough

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can also flip tires outside to inside if you catch the problem soon enough
These tire are designed to mount in a way that says "outside" on the side wall so I dont think that is possible. I did rotate the wheels to the other side of the car though. Both tires had the same wear area but one was slightly worse

Last edited:

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Appears you have too much front toe out. Camber wear would be further in to the tire. From picture, it also looks like you may have a slight belt separation. See how the tread block look smooth and others have a sipe?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just visual you can see a spot on the inside edge is flat where there used to be tread. I forgot to mention I did have 1 inch spacers on the front for a while, I took them off though.

ZtfCjhP.jpg
Yup thats what my last two sets of Michellin tires looked like at the tail end of their life.

check the alignment at some point but start saving up for your next set. How many miles on this set of tires?

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup thats what my last two sets of Michellin tires looked like at the tail end of their life.

check the alignment at some point but start saving up for your next set. How many miles on this set of tires?
~13.5k, I have 17,250 on the car but ran with the 275s on the front with a spacer for a while

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
~13.5k, I have 17,250 on the car but ran with the 275s on the front with a spacer for a while
yup, I’m only getting a shade over 15k before this happens, and I am OCD about alignments, but run excessive camber. Good luck!

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
These tire are designed to mount in a way that says "outside" on the side wall so I dont think that is possible. I did rotate the wheels to the other side of the car though. Both tires had the same wear area but one was slightly worse
An important lesson: don’t buy tires with outsides.

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My 19 PP1 is doing this too. All factory suspension, 21,000 miles. I am going to get it aligned when I put new tires on the front. I am going to get them to check the toe. I was thinking about getting camber bolts to straighten the camber out as well. Is that a dumb idea. I don't give a crud if I loose some of the PP1 handling, I just do not want to replace front tires every 20,000 miles.

TonyHawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, Roush Stage 2 SC kit, Roush axel back / x-pipe, chin splitter, aero foil and side scoops, GT350R wheels
I am getting more wear on the inside of my front tires, I am assuming this is because I live in Florida and we have mainly straight roads and the car comes with some camber on the front. I am wondering if I should inflate to a higher pressure to try to move the wear more evenly over the tire tread? They are currently at 32 or so for the front , stock pp1 wheels and tires and alignment.
The alignment can be within spec but they still wear. Here the set I just removed. 255's. Both front ones. Alignment check attached also.

tires.JPG

align.JPG

TonyHawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, Roush Stage 2 SC kit, Roush axel back / x-pipe, chin splitter, aero foil and side scoops, GT350R wheels
The alignment can be within spec but they still wear. Here the set I just removed. 255's. Both front ones. Alignment check attached also.

tires.JPG

align.JPG
Tire pressure makes a difference also
Sponsored