Sponsored

MT-82 Improvements

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my MT-82D4 in my '18. 750ish to the wheels, stock shifter, stock trans fluid, stock clutch for over 8K miles with zero issue such as lockout, grinding, or any of the other things people knock them for. Drive the thing and then make your decisions based on how you feel.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The OEM shifter and transmission in my '16 are arguably the best I have ever had in a car. I did have the 3rd gear lock out once, only because I was in a big hurry, and hasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I even put a Steeda shifter in it only to swap back to the OEM unit after 3k miles.

Like most shifters and transmissions, this one has only gotten better with age. YMMV

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Get the car, drive it, and then make mods based on what you feel, not what you read on the internet. Many of the items people bitch about of the S550 I don't even notice.
you’ll be fine. Drive the car a while before you blow tons of money on it unless you have money to burn. Some people do.
Good point. Thanks. :thumbsup:

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I've had a 2012, 2016 & now a 2018.

On the 2012 & 2016, I did BG Syncroshift, Steeda spring and MGW.

With the 2018, the MT-82 felt really good stock. At 5000 miles, I did BG Synchroshift since I was already gonna change out the tranny fluid. The Synchroshift is well worth it. Shifts are like butter.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Calimer cocktail, MGW x-spec. Made all the difference in the world.

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a new 2019 owner and I’m sort of contemplating some of what you’re asking. I have the 6 sp, and so far it’s been ok, then again I’m only 2400 miles into it. It seems noisy when cold but all seems good when it warms up. I did notice the shift throw distance is like from here to China, so I’m definitely contemplating a short throw shifter, like a Hurst from some Ford performance site I came across, but I don’t think I want the install hassle at this time.

I read a bunch and watched videos on the Steeda spring and IMO, it’s a “meh” mod. For me, I just don’t think it’s compelling enough. I can already shift smoother than an auto, so I don’t care too much about that one.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
GMONSTAH,
Since you live in Georgia, you should consider the MGW. Outstanding product and made in Augusta, Ga. I believe if you drive to their facility, they will install for free.
https://www.mgwshifters.com/

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, I wasn’t even aware of them! Thanks!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My 2018 was great for about 1850 miles then started showing signs of lock out. i did the Steeda spring, the MGW, the SS Line, Amsoil cocktail. some helped but the trans got worse and worse until it was not letting me shift quickly over 6k. it would lock out second and third. Finally the fork went at 4 or 5k and at that time i added a Mantic clutch. No problem doing 8k shifts now. FFS with the N2MB WOT box.

Until yesterday, adjusted the 2step for the e85 tune and dropped the ignition cut to 150ms and it didnt let me go into 2nd. twice i had the problem. i shift around 7700-7800. it did let me shift fine into 3rd up to 8k, and i was able to shift into 2nd around 7500. I possibly damaged a syncro maybe.. anything over 7500 though into 2nd wont let me go. I dont beat on the car at all. since i got the car back in July of 2019 maybe 20 or so full throttle pulls to 7800 or so, 2 or 3 to 8k. I got radials in November but they were out of round and finally got the new ones Friday so wanted to do my first hit on Sunday and that happened.

Ill be swapping in a Magnum XL most likely soon. still doing my research on it all since from my understanding Ben Calimer is not doing anything with the D4 trans

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I’m a new 2019 owner and I’m sort of contemplating some of what you’re asking. I have the 6 sp, and so far it’s been ok, then again I’m only 2400 miles into it. It seems noisy when cold but all seems good when it warms up. I did notice the shift throw distance is like from here to China, so I’m definitely contemplating a short throw shifter, like a Hurst from some Ford performance site I came across, but I don’t think I want the install hassle at this time.

I read a bunch and watched videos on the Steeda spring and IMO, it’s a “meh” mod. For me, I just don’t think it’s compelling enough. I can already shift smoother than an auto, so I don’t care too much about that one.

I have a 19GT PP1. MGW Shifter and changed to BG Trans Oil at 3K. Car at 5K miles and shifts keep getting better.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I'm in my 4th year of ownership of the '15 gtpp..although the mileage is still very low ..been real satisfied with the mt82..especially being a close ratio trans...I can't compare shifters though because my last was a 5speed in a 90 lx5.0 but I do consider it a decent short throw from factory..this winter season has been a different with the shifting though..for some reason going into third has been way too notchy..warming up the trans makes a noticeable difference though but the whole thing makes me wanna look at an aftermarket shifter..

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
MGW and BG fluid are great. Adding several layers of dynamat and a thick chunk of foam around the shifter helped a lot with minimizing transmitted noise and heat, too.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thank you all for your replies and for bringing me to my senses. I'll wait until I take delivery of the car and drive it for some time, and then I'll decide. :like:

There's something else that springs to my mind. Short-throw shifters seem to be held in high regard. There are many options to choose from, and many owners install them and then swear that they're incredibly better than stock ones in each and every respect. And I have no reason to doubt that it's true.
However, Ford is one of the most experienced car manufacturers in the world. We're not talking about a cheap Korean factory that's taken up car building simply to make money. We're talking about a company that loves cars, that lives for cars, that has a long history of making good cars, some of them even bordering on the exquisite. If anybody can build a proper gearbox and shifter, Ford must be it. So I can't imagine that after all these years of selling these gearboxes only to have their owners install aftermarket shifters, Ford are unable to come up with such a shifter themselves. And I doubt it's a matter of cost either. This is an expensive car. If customers are willing to pay 1700 dollars for a good suspension, I doubt they'd be reluctant to pay 400 more for a good shifter.
Which brings me on to my question: could it be that the sloppiness inherent to the stock shifter, which aftermarket shifters are supposed to cure, is there for a reason? Could Ford make the shifter intentionally a bit 'sloppier' in order to smoothen out the vibrations of the engine and gearbox, to stop them from transmitting into the cabin? I imagine that a big V8 is bound to vibrate a lot.
Those of you who have aftermarket short-throw shifters, especially the kind that attaches firmly to the gearbox, doesn't your shifter vibrate like hell now?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I’m curious, did you use the Steeda transmission bushing or another brand?
I used the steeda bushing insert. Felt like driving a tank on the streets. The car shook violently while driving. Even a neutral rev felt like the car was going to explode.
Sponsored