Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello,

In order not to hijack the other thread about manual vs. automatic transmissions, I'd like to open a separate thread to discuss how the MT-82 can be improved. I've ordered my 2020 GT with a manual gearbox, and since the delivery is only expected to take place seven months from now, I've got a lot of time on my hands, which I can use to think about possible improvements and to start searching for and ordering whatever parts and/or accessories might be needed.

So, I did some reading on this subject, and this is what I was able to find so far:

1. Short-throw shifter. Not only does this seem to solve the infamous third gear lockout, but it seems to be recommended anyway, with or without the lockout issue. It is said to improve the precision and feeling of the gear changes to a massive degree. I am considering this particular one:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-...ce-short-throw-shifter-15-16-gt-555-7317.html

Firstly, is this OK? Would you recommend it?
Secondly, can I do any better? Is there any other shifter that you would prefer to this one?

2. Replacing the original plastic clutch cable with a steel one. This is said to eliminate the stickiness that the clutch can develop during periods of heavy use.

First, does this still apply to the 2020 Mustang? Does the 2020 still come with a plastic cable? Or is it already steel to begin with, which renders this point moot?
If it's still applicable, which cable should I buy? Can anyone share a link?

3. Someone recommended a Steeda clutch spring. What's that, and what is it supposed to improve? Does the issue it's supposed to address still exist in the 2020 version?
Does anyone have a link? Searching for 'clutch spring' on the Steeda web page gives me several results; I'm not sure which is the correct one.

4. I've seen a Blowfish bracket mentioned by several people. I assume it's this one:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/blowfish-racing-manual-shifter-support-bracket-2015-2020/p/MSSB1/

Any comments to this? Pros and cons?
If you go for an aftermarket short-throw shifter, does it still make sense to add this bracket?

5. Better shifter knob. While generally speaking any knob will probably do just fine, a slightly heavier knob is said to improve on the gear shift feeling, to give the shifter a more precise feel.
Any comments? Any links to some high quality shifter knobs?

6. Anything else that I might have missed?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
1. BG Syncroshift II fluid from opmustang.com
2. Steeda clutch spring so you can actually feel it properly
3. MGW shifter
4. Mild clutch upgrade ( slightly stiffer pressure plate and holding torque) like Exedy Mach 500

Enjoy your excellent shifting experience. I've done the first three so far and it's night and day better.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
FWIW, experience with MGW shifters has been first class. Can't speak to Steeda, but plenty of the folks on the SVT Performance forum like them. Whatever shifter you choose, personal preference is for one that mounts to the trans rather than to the car structure. You won't need the Blowfish bracket with a trans mount shifter.

Clutch cable? There isn't one. The current Mustang clutch release is hydraulic. Yes, get the Steeda clutch spring. It will change the pedal feel quite a bit. Here's the one you want. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-spring-perch-kit-555-7027.html

I have no idea what's up with the shifter knob issue. There are a few threads on here about it that might help. One example: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...uminum-or-resin-weighted.135233/#post-2784155

When you have to replace the clutch, and it's going to happen bc they're a wear item like brake pads, get one or another organic surface dual disk clutch, like McLeod RST. Then you can pull the Steeda clutch spring.....lol

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I don’t have any of those issues with my MT 82. Spend your money improving it if that’s what makes you happy. Couldn’t hurt. Mine is supposed to be worse than the newer ones and I’m okay with it. YMMV

Just curious OP. You ordered a 2020 MT82. Have you driven it before and experienced the 3rd gear lockout and all the other problems or your just reading this stuff on the internet ?

FWIW. I did do the Steeda spring. It was cheap and what the heck. Made the shifting more stiffer. I didn’t like it at 1st but like anything else, I got use to it and I was to lazy to put the original spring back in.

And congrats on buying a new Mustang. Your gonna love it.

Sponsored

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have 2019, I did the Steeda clutch spring, shifter bushing, and transmission bushing. Altogether about $160.00. This made a huge difference and I didn’t experience any NVH at all. I would try this before you spend all that money.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The MGW shifter on my 13 made a night and day difference on the MT 82 and it was only a gen 2 designed like the current 07-14GT500 shifter.. The latest racespec edition with its mounting to the transmission vice rear body support eliminates the need for the blowfish bracket. So going with the Racespec can only make the shifting even better based on the design improvements.

For education purposes there is no cable on the manual shift setup. It is a hydraulic clutch and therefore the "plastic cable" you refer to is a feedline that the fluid passes through to disengage the clutch through a hydraulic TOB via pressure produced from the clutch pedal cylinder via a the master cylinder. If this is a design improvement on the 2020 you may consider replacing it with a JPC Racing, McLeod or FRPP steel feedline. As also mentioned an upgraded clutch package won't hurt either. I ran an Exedy organic setup that held up great to 568 RWHP and never had any issues shifting. I retained the factory fluid in the trans. I also ran the JPC upgraded line as well.

The best thing that could be done for the MT-82 though it is out of the consumers hands for the most part, is for Ford to stop purchasing Chinese assembled MT-82's IMHO. I was fortunate and got a good one. Others have been less fortunate. It's hit/miss. Granted since 2018 there have been design improvements on the MT-82 since it started being used in the Mustang GT in 2011, but I still question the assembly quality where they are currently being built.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just curious OP. You ordered a 2020 MT82. Have you driven it before and experienced the 3rd gear lockout and all the other problems or your just reading this stuff on the internet ?
I test drove an Ecoboost with the manual transmission, and it seemed OK to me. That's why I ordered mine with a manual. I had no reason to expect any issues until I started browsing these forums and found that people bashed it and called it a piece of crap. So, naturally, I got worried and thought I'd investigate a bit. :)

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Get the car, drive it, and then make mods based on what you feel, not what you read on the internet. Many of the items people bitch about of the S550 I don't even notice.

I do like the feel of the clutch much better since installing the Steeda spring.

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The 2018 up mt82 isnt nearly as bad as the earlier models from what I've read. I dont have personal experience with the earlier ones though. I like the feel of my 19. I experienced the 3rd gear lock out several times early on before i knew anything about these cars but after reading up on it and understanding it I can say I haven't had it happen in 20,xxx plus miles now. It just takes a little more attention to the shift once your up over 7k. Just recently I did install a steeda shifter bracket and transmission bushing insert. The shifter bracket does clean up a little slop in the feel of the shifter. The bushing insert didn't work for me... terrible nvh after install. I researched and only a handful of people experience this and I couldn't find any good reason why a few do but most have no issues. I removed the insert and all nvh went away so I guess I'm one of those few who doesnt get to enjoy that upgrade. Overall I had no complaints on the factory feel of the mt82. It's a good set up and most the complaints you'll find on here are from guys with 2017 or older manuals. I wouldnt run out and buy too many parts for it until you take delivery and get to play with it some. You might realize your money is better spent on other upgrades.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Get the car, drive it, and then make mods based on what you feel, not what you read on the internet. Many of the items people bitch about of the S550 I don't even notice.
Great advice!
I don't have any real complaints about the MT82 in my 2019. When cold it can feel very mechanical and noisy. Once the engine and drive-line has warmed up though, it's pretty good (and driving hard should not happen until warmed up anyway). I do get the drive-line thud sometimes but that depends on what I am doing with the clutch pedal. There are ways to avoid it. I have not experienced any lock-outs but then I am not driving the living snot out of it all the time. I have done maybe 10 or 12 hard pulls and didn't experience any problem rowing through the gears. The only thing I will do as of now is the BG Syncroshift II fluid change come springtime with hopes of making the cold performance smoother and quieter. Take it one step at a time, drive it and make changes as your experience and performance requirements increase.

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The 2018 up mt82 isnt nearly as bad as the earlier models from what I've read. I dont have personal experience with the earlier ones though. I like the feel of my 19. I experienced the 3rd gear lock out several times early on before i knew anything about these cars but after reading up on it and understanding it I can say I haven't had it happen in 20,xxx plus miles now. It just takes a little more attention to the shift once your up over 7k. Just recently I did install a steeda shifter bracket and transmission bushing insert. The shifter bracket does clean up a little slop in the feel of the shifter. The bushing insert didn't work for me... terrible nvh after install. I researched and only a handful of people experience this and I couldn't find any good reason why a few do but most have no issues. I removed the insert and all nvh went away so I guess I'm one of those few who doesnt get to enjoy that upgrade. Overall I had no complaints on the factory feel of the mt82. It's a good set up and most the complaints you'll find on here are from guys with 2017 or older manuals. I wouldnt run out and buy too many parts for it until you take delivery and get to play with it some. You might realize your money is better spent on other upgrades.
I’m curious, did you use the Steeda transmission bushing or another brand?

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I test drove an Ecoboost with the manual transmission, and it seemed OK to me. That's why I ordered mine with a manual. I had no reason to expect any issues until I started browsing these forums and found that people bashed it and called it a piece of crap. So, naturally, I got worried and thought I'd investigate a bit. :)
The plot thickens.

you’ll be fine. Drive the car a while before you blow tons of money on it unless you have money to burn. Some people do.

I’ve never experienced 3rd gear lockout but I also don’t track my car. Lots of Mustang guys here take the car to the track and drive them under extreme conditions so I can quess that would or could happen. Other guys think this car should shift like a Honda and it’s not a Honda ...lol
I’m sure there’s more reasons for the MT82 hate. It can be a little clunky at times but I’m good with it.

It’s gonna be a long 7 months for you. Good luck

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
Like others have said the newer gens are slightly better but the MGW is a must if you ask me. First because it feels so much nicer to shift and second you wont have to worry about 3rd gear lockout. My 2014 GT had the MT82 and had 3 transmissions replaced under warranty by ford. The car was bone stock and for some reason the synchro for 3rd gear keep going out. I finally sent it to Ben Calimer for his stage 1 package and never had any problems since. I don't know what magic Ben does but he does awesome work.
Sponsored