FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have BMR jacking rails on my ecoboost, I have a harbor freight 1.5ton aluminum jack @ here. So I position the jack in the center of car and jack entire side up at once, well its done alright for last 6 months, the last few times.. its made some terrible noises. Like absolutely awful. I thought something broke under car it was so loud, but nope. nothing. Its the jack, I lowered and rejacked it up, its just having a hard time oddly.

Harbor freight I own

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton-Aluminum-Rapid-Pump-Racing-Floor-Jack-64545.html

I am looking to replace it with one of these 2 jacks, I don't want another HF jack to be honest, I dislike the store in general.

Summit 3 ton aluminum. (I am leaning towards this over Jegs because its blue) 255 after coupon
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-917073/overview/

or

Jegs 3 ton aluminum (235) with coupon. (its yellow and id pay 20 more for blue)
https://www.jegs.com/i/x/555/80077/10002/-1

Do you think either of these jacks are better than the other? My 1.5 ton may actually be just fine, but man.. those creeks and noises coming from it are really concerning. So better safe than sorry.

I can't damage the car by jacking up an entire side can I? I just do it to take both tires off etc. do maintenance, put back down. I really would like to have a blue jack, lol matches my theme in garage.
sum-917073_ml.jpg
View attachment 430235
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 1.26.36 PM.png
IMG_0372.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
First of all you should have a jack with at least a 2.5 ton capacity, modern cars with all the electronics and safety features built into them make them a lot heavier than their sixties counterparts, that is most likely why your jack is making noises, your overloading it. I was always taught the the jack should have enough capacity to lift the entire vehicle off the ground by itself, kind of a safety factor. I have a harbor freight jack also, but mine is a 3 ton long reach model and it has never given me a problem. Secondly, unless your picking up the jack and putting it in your trunk, don't waste your money on an aluminum jack, just get a steel one. They are a lot cheaper. I only paid a buck 30 for mine new. And finally, harbor freight stuff is not that bad, just don't trust anything that is cordless or their welders. Anything purely mechanical and their hand tools are just fine just as good as craftsman or snap on or any other name brands but at a much lower price.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Personally, I would get a 3 ton low profile jack. The one I have from Harbor Freight has been used and abused for years and still works flawlessly.

Also, when you put your jacking rails on, did they sit flush? I ask because most of the time on these Mustangs, seam sealer is in the way of the rails sitting perfectly flush. That could be your noise.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
I have a 2 1/2 ton HF aluminum jack. It is nice. Have had it for 4 years now and it still works great. Jacking the car from the center will not damage anything. That is the point of the jacking rails. It protects the pinch welds. But you could actually jack from the center without the jacking rails you just risk folding over the pinch welds.

Don

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
What EBM said, harbor frieght low profile steel jack... Mine has been great and wouldnt work if I didnt have the low profile. You can get a rubber jack pad off amazon if it doesnt come with one, that way you dont scratch up ur pretty jacking rails. I have this one, works great!
floor jack.jpg

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I use a hockey puck on top of the jack pad to prevent marking the jacking rail.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of those harbor freight aluminum racing jacks.
I jacked the car on my rails on some slightly uneven ground.
The Jack bent on the sides and became inoperable.
Thankfully I had Jack stands under the car..
It did not collapse, just bent like a pretzel.
Steel jacks my friend............

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I used a custom built race jack around the shop but at home I have a a low profile Daytona Jack from HF. Unless you’re looking at 500+ it’s a good choice.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
In the last 30 years I've owned two floor jacks. First one lasted nearly 20 years, it's replacement is going on 10. Both from HF. Both steel.
If you want to spend $250+ to get a blue jack, go for it. But a $3 can of spray paint will make any jack any color you want
Harbor Freight is what it is, not the vast but not all that bad. I wouldn't buy a tool I had to rely on daily there but a good bit of there stuff is perfectly adequate for occasional or light duty use. For the longest time they would give away their cheap dvm, I loved that. I've got one in every tool box I've got. Reasonable accurate and I don't cry when one gets broken.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I have BMR jacking rails on my ecoboost, I have a harbor freight 1.5ton aluminum jack @ here. So I position the jack in the center of car and jack entire side up at once, well its done alright for last 6 months, the last few times.. its made some terrible noises. Like absolutely awful. I thought something broke under car it was so loud, but nope. nothing. Its the jack, I lowered and rejacked it up, its just having a hard time oddly.

Harbor freight I own

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton-Aluminum-Rapid-Pump-Racing-Floor-Jack-64545.html

I am looking to replace it with one of these 2 jacks, I don't want another HF jack to be honest, I dislike the store in general.

Summit 3 ton aluminum. (I am leaning towards this over Jegs because its blue) 255 after coupon

or

Do you think either of these jacks are better than the other? My 1.5 ton may actually be just fine, but man.. those creeks and noises coming from it are really concerning. So better safe than sorry.

I can't damage the car by jacking up an entire side can I? I just do it to take both tires off etc. do maintenance, put back down. I really would like to have a blue jack, lol matches my theme in garage.
sum-917073_ml.jpg
View attachment 430235
IMG_0372.JPG
Harbor freight tools are garbage.

I've had great success with husky tools from home depot. They are better than craftsman for alot less money..,

I've used snap on and mac tools as well, negligible improvement in quality or reliability over husky.

So go husky. Plus the logo looks like a coyote so thats a win

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase

Harbor freight I own

or

sum-917073_ml.jpg
View attachment 430235
IMG_0372.JPG
I think you already answered your own question. of course blue is better! everybody knows that! ;P