Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
D4FE2E35-2683-435F-B425-CBE5391795A5.jpeg
2A809272-C695-430D-B937-4BCFE212D1FA.jpeg

I snapped the upper strut rod. I torqued to spec(76) and it would still make the noise so I torqued to 110 and there it goes.

I am totally devastated and do not know what to do. Can somebody tell me what the part number is to replace the broken part? :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You have to replace the entire strut IMHO.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
D4FE2E35-2683-435F-B425-CBE5391795A5.jpeg
2A809272-C695-430D-B937-4BCFE212D1FA.jpeg

While attempting to get rid of the clunking noise after lowering springs installation, I snapped the upper strut rod. I torqued to spec(76) and it would still make the noise so I torqued to 110 and there it goes.

I am totally devastated and do not know what to do. Can somebody tell me what the part number is to replace the broken part? :(
That’s the strut shaft that broke. You have to replace the entire strut.
Depending on how many miles you have on the front struts, might want to replace both sides to maintain a matched set.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
That’s the strut shaft that broke. You have to replace the entire strut.
Depending on how many miles you have on the front struts, might want to replace both sides to maintain a matched set.
The car has only 4k milage fortunately. Looks like I'm going to have to find the part number for the strut..

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you get the same OEM part as original or the front will bounce/rebound erratically.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you get the same OEM part as original or the front will bounce/rebound erratically.
Is the strut universal on both left/right side or different? I can only find one particular strut named FR3Z-18124-AA

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the strut universal on both left/right side or different? I can only find one particular strut named FR3Z-18124-AA
Looks like that part does fit either side for recent Mustangs.
I presume you do not have MagnaRide Suspension? Those are different.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
They're the same - https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-strut-jr3z18124a/?c=Zz1mcm9udC1zdXNwZW5zaW9uJnM9c3RydXRzLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9SkMxNTQwMjUmcj0xJmE9Zm9yZCZvPW11c3RhbmcmeT0yMDE5JnQ9ZWNvYm9vc3QmZT0yLTNsLWw0LWdhcw== is what Tasca shows for 2019 Eco without 20 inch wheels...

But you have to look it up yourself as we don't know what car exactly you have.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Looks like that part does fit either side for recent Mustangs.
I presume you do not have MagnaRide Suspension? Those are different.
Thankfully it's not MagnaRide. I would never try to mess with that suspension.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thankfully it's not MagnaRide. I would never try to mess with that suspension.
Magnaride strut isn't much different short of few wires. Your clunking noise would be most likely sway bar or it's links - especially if you got the adjustable length ones - I had to loctite them to get rid of the noise (the adjustment nuts). There's about zero chance it was a strut mount.

If you want to be sure, you can ask Benny from Levittown Parts here on the forum - give him a VIN and he'll give you exact P/N. One I gave you is my best guess based on little info you provided.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Magnaride strut isn't much different short of few wires. Your clunking noise would be most likely sway bar or it's links - especially if you got the adjustable length ones - I had to loctite them to get rid of the noise (the adjustment nuts). There's about zero chance it was a strut mount.

If you want to be sure, you can ask Benny from Levittown Parts here on the forum - give him a VIN and he'll give you exact P/N. One I gave you is my best guess based on little info you provided.
Again, not the best practice and probably more chance of ordering more replacement parts, but I torqued the upper sway bar end link with an impact wrench so I think it's either overtightened or... something must've gone wrong

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Again, not the best practice and probably more chance of ordering more replacement parts, but I torqued the upper sway bar end link with an impact wrench so I think it's either overtightened or... something must've gone wrong
Is bar / link stock one ? Not the best practice but if the mounting bolt did not snap, you're probably fine... But since the threads on these get dirty, take a look if its actually tight (not sure how much torque your impact makes - my Milwaukee in lowest setting would not make a dirty thread tight unless I held it down for a while).

Your remaining options are spindle bolts and strut moun bolts - the latter aren't that thick and they only need 40ish or 60ish ft-lb of torque so would be careful...

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Is bar / link stock one ? Not the best practice but if the mounting bolt did not snap, you're probably fine... But since the threads on these get dirty, take a look if its actually tight (not sure how much torque your impact makes - my Milwaukee in lowest setting would not make a dirty thread tight unless I held it down for a while).

Your remaining options are spindle bolts and strut moun bolts - the latter aren't that thick and they only need 40ish or 60ish ft-lb of torque so would be careful...
I just ordered a new strut along with top nut, spindle bolts and nuts. I didn't have the proper tool to hold the bolt on the back of the sway bar so that could be it.
I hope the new strut and hardwares resolve the issue..
Sponsored