Sponsored

Snapped Steeda Sway Bar

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Not sure if anyone has ever experienced this but just noticed yesterday while changing out my wheel hubs and half shafts that my rear Steeda sway bar snapped right by the body mount. Waiting for Steeda to respond to my message but just wondering since I was more impressed than disappointed when I noticed this. Didn't notice too severe of a change in handling and it looks like it snapped some time ago.
20200915_195112.jpg
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Please pm your contact info. This is covered under the Steeda lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
Thank you,
Steeda Tech

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Not sure if anyone has ever experienced this but just noticed yesterday while changing out my wheel hubs and half shafts that my rear Steeda sway bar snapped right by the body mount. Waiting for Steeda to respond to my message but just wondering since I was more impressed than disappointed when I noticed this. Didn't notice too severe of a change in handling and it looks like it snapped some time ago.
That looks like the bushing is too tight on the bar and locking the bar instead of allowing it to rotate. When mounted, the bar should be able to move with only minimal resistance. Ideally, it would be completely free to move, but that type of mounting will always have a little drag due to bushing compression and sticky grease.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Crazy. Haven’t seen that before.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
As SteedaTech mentioned, it is covered under our lifetime warranty - this isn't ordinary - we'll send it to our internal team for review & evaluation.

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

OP
OP

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Thanks TJ! Just waiting for Mike's further response to my DM. Took another picture of the snap after I pulled it out the car. Looks to have broke right at the tack for the stop collar.

20200916_184730.jpg

OP
OP

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Heat affected zone strikes again.
Good old HAZ, coincidentally was talking to someone at work yesterday about why we don't weld the structures on the airframes for that very reason despite the amount of welders we have. Its inevitable without heat treating after.
Beyond that, Steeda has always taken care of me with great products and service so this hiccup doesn't hurt my feelings. Quite impressed actually and wanted to share it.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Wow.. that’s crazy but stuff happens. can you put your stock bar back on till steeda sends you a new one?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Wow.. that’s crazy but stuff happens. can you put your stock bar back on till steeda sends you a new one?
New Steeda bar is scheduled to be delivered next Friday. I can honestly say Steeda customer service continues to be top notch, Mike at Steeda is extremely knowledgeable and definitely a people person. I appreciate the Steeda crew for helping me with this!

As for now I have my car back together without the rear bar. Since I have been technically driving it without a functioning rear bar anyways, I should be able to survive the straight roads to work and back.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Heat affected zone strikes again.
Good old HAZ, coincidentally was talking to someone at work yesterday about why we don't weld the structures on the airframes for that very reason despite the amount of welders we have. Its inevitable without heat treating after.
Beyond that, Steeda has always taken care of me with great products and service so this hiccup doesn't hurt my feelings. Quite impressed actually and wanted to share it.
That's not from haz. That's something with the material. A small tack wouldn't cause a haz that would make that material do that.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's not from haz. That's something with the material. A small tack wouldn't cause a haz that would make that material do that.
You mean like produce an initiation point for a fracture? It doesn't matter if it's a track weld, steel had to be melted to produce it and when that cooled, it formed a small, brittle inclusion where a crack could form to enable an endurance failure.

I prefer to use split collars to limit the lateral movement of ARB's specifically to avoid the stress riser. That's more difficult to do on a consumer part as opposed to a one-off.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You mean like produce an initiation point for a fracture? It doesn't matter if it's a track weld, steel had to be melted to produce it and when that cooled, it formed a small, brittle inclusion where a crack could form to enable an endurance failure.

I prefer to use split collars to limit the lateral movement of ARB's specifically to avoid the stress riser. That's more difficult to do on a consumer part as opposed to a one-off.
The heat affected zone (HAZ) is a non-melted area of metal that has undergone changes in material properties as a result of being exposed to high temperatures.

A tack weld is barely hot enough to make any changes in the base material. Chances are it was cool to the touch in less than 30 seconds.

How did it form a small brittle inclusion? even if his tungsten touched the puddle to cause a tungsten inclusion that tack weld imo did not cause that. I agree with the guy close to the top. The bar needed to roll and it looks like it couldn't. You can tell the bar was twisted so hard it completely tore the material.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
New Steeda bar is scheduled to be delivered next Friday. I can honestly say Steeda customer service continues to be top notch, Mike at Steeda is extremely knowledgeable and definitely a people person. I appreciate the Steeda crew for helping me with this!

As for now I have my car back together without the rear bar. Since I have been technically driving it without a functioning rear bar anyways, I should be able to survive the straight roads to work and back.
It will put a little push in the car, but it will be mostly unnoticeable. Actually, it will probably ride a little better if you drive over choppy pavement.
Sponsored