Snapped Steeda Sway Bar

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The heat affected zone (HAZ) is a non-melted area of metal that has undergone changes in material properties as a result of being exposed to high temperatures.

A tack weld is barely hot enough to make any changes in the base material. Chances are it was cool to the touch in less than 30 seconds.

How did it form a small brittle inclusion? even if his tungsten touched the puddle to cause a tungsten inclusion that tack weld imo did not cause that. I agree with the guy close to the top. The bar needed to roll and it looks like it couldn't. You can tell the bar was twisted so hard it completely tore the material.
The quick cooling is exactly what produces the brittle inclusion. It has nothing to do with the tungsten electrode (especially since they Mig weld) It's a product of the alloying elements in the parent material, even if just carbon. Different phases of the same steel have different properties.

BTW, I was the guy at the top that said it looked like the bushing was restricting motion. In that scenario, though, it would have broken on the _outboard side_ of the bushing, not the inside.
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You are saying inclusion. That's not the right term for this. Inclusions are pieces of trash, like slag or tungsten pieces in the weld. If it was (mag) welded since carbon dioxide is an active gas (mig) for Americans. That's an even less chance of that happening.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
You are saying inclusion. That's not the right term for this. Inclusions are pieces of trash, like slag or tungsten pieces in the weld. If it was (mag) welded since carbon dioxide is an active gas (mig) for Americans. That's an even less chance of that happening.
The weld will have a small seam of austenitic steel around it which is brittle and is likely the point of crack initiation. There may be all sorts of other contributing factors. You are correct in that an inclusion is generally a term used for an impurity and I probably used it incorrectly when referring to the HAZ. Austenite is not an impurity per say, but it is a different grain structure from the rest of the piece which makes it act as one.

I'm about done with the semantics if you don't mind.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
The weld will have a small seam of austenitic steel around it which is brittle and is likely the point of crack initiation. There may be all sorts of other contributing factors. You are correct in that an inclusion is generally a term used for an impurity and I probably used it incorrectly when referring to the HAZ. Austenite is not an impurity per say, but it is a different grain structure from the rest of the piece which makes it act as one.

I'm about done with the semantics if you don't mind.
:beer: :beer: :beer: