2019+ Voodoo Changes

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Not sure if you hit the wrong button but If this is your door tag from another thread, it was assembled 2/19, not 5/19.[/QUOTE]

I saw same 02/19 date, with motor build on 04/19 in my friend car. I think Ford put doore date based on 6 month period. I know for sure that my car was manufactured and shipped to dealer on 5/16/19.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
According to this article, 2nd gen Voodoo engine also gain 55hp and 20 extra lb-ft of torque:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-dyno-results/
What puzzles me is that Ford nowhere mention this changes.
That's because it didn't happen. Turned out it was a different dyno and it was set up in some sort of wind tunnel that improved breathing. There is no "Gen 1" or "Gen 2" as far as Ford is concerned - there's just the "Voodoo" and the 2020 Voodoo meets the same specs and reliability requirements as the 2015 Voodoo.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
This whole Gen1-Gen2 thing is ridiculous. There were no wholesale changes that would cause a definition of Gen1 and Gen2 to be used by Ford that I am aware of. One of our new buyers on the site mentioned this in passing, " I think the values for 2019s will hold up...not sure about earlier models with the gen 1 engines though"
I'm kinda tired of this bullshit.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Motor Trend seems like a pretty well known reputable site to have not taken into account a different environment, and if they had made an error to have not later made an editors note. Who said their dyno statement of getting increased power was in fact wrong due to favorable conditions? Whoever said that, was that from someone with a reputation as solid as Motor Trend? Is it impossible a different rod, etc might be more able to respond in the new design? Makes no matter to me, I'm an older street driver, and generally obey the law but I am curious...maybe there is a natural variance from motor to motor if hand made even in the same model year?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Motor Trend seems like a pretty well known reputable site to have not taken into account a different environment, and if they had made an error not later have made an editors note. Who said their dyno statement of getting increased power was in fact wrong due to favorable conditions? Whoever said that, was that from someone with a reputation as solid as Motor Trend? Is it impossible a different rod, etc might be more able to respond in the new design? Makes no matter to me, I'm an older street driver, and generally obey the law but I am curious...maybe there is a natural variance from motor to motor if hand made even in the same model year?
Reputable in terms of tuning engines or reporting on cars? The test is more for reporting and publicity, and not very useful in the real world. Dyno readings are heavily influenced by many variables. This is why when you take your car to the dyno and are having tuning done, they'll usually do 3 pulls. All 3 pulls, even done sequentially, will give slightly different readings. A dyno is not a perfect tool for measuring maximum power levels because of how variable the readings are. They're a tuning tool. Things like what gear the pull was done on, whether conversion was in STD or SAE, altitude of the dyno, temperature, air pressure, airflow into the front of the car, etc, all affect the readings. Furthermore, identical engines will give different results, regardless of whether they're hand assembled. The advertised horsepower and torque aren't exact numbers. If a manufacturer claims 526hp, you can pull 5 cars off the assembly line with the exact same engine, and get horsepower readings of 518, 529, 519, etc. Dyno test on a different day with different weather and they'll again be different. Some dyno facilities will have a giant fan in front for airflow, which will also up the readings. Dynos are not appropriate for trying to assess exact power levels between cars.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Great stuff. I am a newbie so thanks for this!

So even Ford claiming that the car makes 526 is a guess then, to a point?

And places like Motor Trend, if they even did use more then one shop to do their Dyno's for them (?), they are overlooking the obvious variances ......but just report their findings anyways?

Geez, I have been reading these magazines since I was a kid, I appreciate you telling me this. I just figured if they had nothing to gain themselves personally, they would be as accurate as possible to keep their own reputations. Ugh....maybe they just make these over the top claims as click bait so the ad rates go up...

Last edited:

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I saw three independent dyno results. Two in US and one in Germany. They were 581hp, 582hp and 582hp. All these three are as consistent as it gets. Ford is notorious for under-rating their horsepower ratings. Look up the fiasco of the 1999 Mustang Cobra. It was supposed to have 320hp at the crank and was more like 270-280. Ford never made that mistake again.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I saw three independent dyno results. Two in US and one in Germany. They were 581hp, 582hp and 582hp. All these three are as consistent as it gets. Ford is notorious for under-rating their horsepower ratings. Look up the fiasco of the 1999 Mustang Cobra. It was supposed to have 320hp at the crank and was more like 270-280. Ford never made that mistake again.
Interested, but do you have a source? And do you know if they were Dynojet or Mustang (dyno brand, not Ford) dynos? Members have had their cars dyno'd, and we've yet to see any stock dyno levels near that. Factories use engine stand dynos also, not measuring at the wheel. I'm assuming you're talking about whp dynos also, in which case we're also guessing as to the conversion factor of 15% drivetrain loss.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
When we dyno'd my 2016 GT350 tech pak car in 2017, rwhp was 479. This was early 17 and the dyno guys were impressed.

Have the 2019 R now and have not put on dyno yet.

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
When we dyno'd my 2016 GT350 tech pak car in 2017, rwhp was 479. This was early 17 and the dyno guys were impressed.

Have the 2019 R now and have not put on dyno yet.
If you do, would be curious if you use the SAME dyno set up (seems to matter, based on some of these comments)

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Interested, but do you have a source? And do you know if they were Dynojet or Mustang (dyno brand, not Ford) dynos? Members have had their cars dyno'd, and we've yet to see any stock dyno levels near that. Factories use engine stand dynos also, not measuring at the wheel. I'm assuming you're talking about whp dynos also, in which case we're also guessing as to the conversion factor of 15% drivetrain loss.
I saw these three different results on the internet. They all hp at the crank. So, -15% to the whp. I can speak for my other car Audi S4 which I dyno some time ago. It showed 50hp more than Audi released and it was same for few other S4's that I know. IMO, car manufacturers are averaging these results due to different conditions (altitude for example).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This whole debate was hashed out when the MT data first came out. It's simple: the displacement is the same, the intake manifold is the same, the exhaust is the same and the cams and cam timing are all the same. As far as Ford is concerned, a Voodoo is a Voodoo is a Voodoo starting with 2015 up to 2020. There's no secret upgrade or conspiracy theory regarding the engine. They're all rated at 526 horsepower and they'll all make at least that much power.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Here is a Gen 1 (top) vs a Gen 2 (bottom)on the same dyno with the same parameters...
gen1.jpg
gen2.jpg
Sponsored