myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
anyone else have some input on this subject? who are the tuners having issues? looking at the feedback not everyone is having an issue. also I'm not sure i want a flex fuel tune but a dedicated 85 with a 93 is fine by me......thanks for the input

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So u run a 93 tune and when u go to the track u run the car down to a gallon of fuel then download the E85r tune, fill with E85 and by the time your there the E85 tune is learned. Then u race the car, once u get low on E85 u DL your 93 tune and fill with 93

Done

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Just reiterating Shaun @ AED his flex tune was always spot on. Power and reliability and the convenience of switching fuel when needed.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This just reiterates what many folks and my tuner have said about the flex tune. It's a convenience thing meant for switching fuels. It's not really designed to be used as an everyday tune.

@MaskedRacerX - it's very possible the flex tune is your problem. I'd do what you suggested. Run it out of ethanol, put 93 back in and load the 93 tune again. More than likely your issues will go away.
If you want to run E85 I suggested a dedicated E85 tune. It will run much more consistently and give you better performance.
OK, I don't drive it that much, so it takes a while to drive the fuel out.

It started fine the last few days, I've been starting it daily, it's like when it sat for a few days, it had starting issues (they first appeared after it sat for 4 days). Anyway, it has been running strong, but still surging and occasionally crapping out when I roll to a stop when it's cold. Ran great the last few days, I noticed the AFR was more in the 10.8 area vs. the 11.3-ish, maybe some variation in ethanol content around here[?]

Today, it got down to "19 miles to E" and I was near a Sunoco, so figured that was just a couple of gallons, so I topped it off with 93. Took it easy, drove home keeping it in under 4K, partial throttle, ran good, I noticed as I was pulling into my neighborhood, the AFR was knocking around in the upper 11.8-12.0 (after < 5 miles).

This is still running the Flex tune.

I let it idle in the garage for about 10 minutes, took it out for a spin, S-mode on the shifter, held it in the 3-4K range at 50% throttle, and in like another 3-4 miles, AFR started hanging out in the 13, and now it's running at 13.8-14.0.

Interestingly, when I had the Flex tune install originally with 93, I drove it 2 miles past empty (so _really_ empty) and it was like a 1/4 of a tank of E85 used, 25+ miles, multiple KAM/Crank resets, before it dropped to the proper ~11.x range (vs. this switch back which was like 10 minutes and zero hassles).

Not 100% sure about my next step. Just run the Flex tune for a few days? Now it's back on 93, swap back to the 93 specific tune? Swap back to stock?

I sent AED asking for clarification about my next steps (i.e., should I do what I did above), on 12/30, and no response so far, unfortunate, and unacceptable. I might wind up back with Torrie if I'm just going to do a 93 tune, and I'll resolve this other issue through other mechanisms ...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's the tune IMO. Go to Lund. I don't think you'll have those issues.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Also I would simply forego the flex tune. It just isn't an ideal daily tune, even though it can be used as that. For E85 just run a dedicated tune. It will run a whole lot better and be a TON more lively around town.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's the tune IMO. Go to Lund. I don't think you'll have those issues.
Like I said, I'm not 100% sure what my next move is, but I wind up with another tune, I'll probably go back to Torrie, he's excellent, and you can't beat using someone local.

Also I would simply forego the flex tune. It just isn't an ideal daily tune, even though it can be used as that. For E85 just run a dedicated tune. It will run a whole lot better and be a TON more lively around town.
Yeah, I can't do a dedicated E85 tune, none local, don't want to store it, not interested in hassling with the tune swapping, ect. Thanks for the input though, it's been a big help!

[edit]

I think I will reinstall the 93 tune tomorrow, just to get a few days with it, see if all the janky behavior is all sorted out (meaning, something about Flex tune/fuel was off ...)

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Like I said, I'm not 100% sure what my next move is, but I wind up with another tune, I'll probably go back to Torrie, he's excellent, and you can't beat using someone local.

Yeah, I can't do a dedicated E85 tune, none local, don't want to store it, not interested in hassling with the tune swapping, ect. Thanks for the input though, it's been a big help!

[edit]

I think I will reinstall the 93 tune tomorrow, just to get a few days with it, see if all the janky behavior is all sorted out (meaning, something about Flex tune/fuel was off ...)
I understand. I also know another person who experienced similar issues with AED running the flex tune, so I think that you shouldn't be having these issues to be quite frank. Idk Torrie but its certainly an option and I could see why you would want to deal with someone local. I'd just give Lund a try because they've just tuned so many Mustangs. And their customer service in my experience with them is just perfect. But, whatever you decide to do, I think your issues are solvable and doubt its anything wrong with your setup.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So today, I fired it up, drive around a bit with the Flex Tune + 93, AFRs showing 13.8-14.1, I would figure the E is totally purged. So it ran OK, didn't feel particularly dialed in, but it seemed to idle correctly. Well, I went over to the boat ramp, big parking area, and I did the thing where I go from stopped, a good bit of gas for like 2-3 seconds, then immediately brake to a stop again. After a few times, it stalled, and in about 2-3 minutes I had the two rich banks 1/2 error codes.

Note this tended to happen more often - like in this case - when the car was in standard (vs. S+ mode).

So I did my errand, came home, cleared the DTCs, re-flashed the 93 tune. Fired it up, sounded a bit different, throttle response felt more immediate, over to the ramp, did the stop-heavy-throttle-stop like 20 times, and it did not stall. I pulled out and stood on it and it was strong, and the throttle was immediate, in standard quick, in S+ hard, shifts that broke the rear end very loose on the 1-2 shift (TC came in big time).

I'll continue to test things over the next few days, see there's any errant behavior, any CELs, any stalls, etc., and report back in.

Oh yeah, FTR, Torrie, is Torrie McPhail from Unleashed Tuning.

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
anyone else have some input on this subject? who are the tuners having issues? looking at the feedback not everyone is having an issue. also I'm not sure i want a flex fuel tune but a dedicated 85 with a 93 is fine by me......thanks for the input
I have had Lund 91/93, flex fuel, and E85R tune for 6 months and after switching to each and doing datalogs and a couple emails back and forth I can switch between any tune I have and have absolutely no issues at all. If there ever is an issue I simply email my tuner and he always replies within an hour during business hours. Even if it's just questions about upgrading parts or turbo kits or what he suggests for my car! If you ask me you absolutely can not beat Lund Ngauge and tunes!!!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So I did my errand, came home, cleared the DTCs, re-flashed the 93 tune. Fired it up, sounded a bit different, throttle response felt more immediate, over to the ramp, did the stop-heavy-throttle-stop like 20 times, and it did not stall. I pulled out and stood on it and it was strong, and the throttle was immediate, in standard quick, in S+ hard, shifts that broke the rear end very loose on the 1-2 shift (TC came in big time).

I'll continue to test things over the next few days, see there's any errant behavior, any CELs, any stalls, etc., and report back in.
Day 2 with the 93 tune, started as expected, idled smooth, took it down to my "test area", did my stall test, and it did not, I tried several times, couldn't generate any problems, and no CEL indicator.

Look, I'm not a tuner, but I am an absolutely kickass software developer, and if I were doing this sort of testing to isolate a problem in some code, at this point, I'd be very inclined to say it was the Flex tune - and since that tune exhibited the same behavior on both E and 93, I think it's even more of an indicator. I am willing to consider it was that tune + E, and that the 93 doing the same thing __might__ have been some residual E in the fuel system.

BTW, AED has NOT responded to my email from Dec, they've totally blown me off.

I'm absolutely done with the Flex tune, now I have to decide if I want to:

- Stick with the AED 93 tune, it was a (per the filename) a 93 base (vs. a Flex performance), so I'm not sure if it's a really dialed in 93 tune or just a simpler test tune.

- If I stick with their 93 tune, demand my money back for the Flex add (it was +$100), it didn't work, and by the end of the weekend, I'll be able to say that with confidence.

- Bail on AED completely, since they've decided not to communicate, and dispute the entire charge via PayPal (I would absolutely remove their tune).
Sponsored