Sponsored

s550 blown differential

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt performance, whipple, stage 2 throttle body, rxt clutch, cf driveshaft, steeda subframe kit, 840 hp axles, X force w/ corsa long tubes and mickeys
Went to the track last night after seeing broken diff bushing (1) didn't think much of it until wheel hop at burn out then broke pinion at launch did not get far. any good ideas about rebuild. I have stage 2 Whipple, tremek magnum, RXT clutch, CF driveshaft. Occasional drag racing but mostly street. I did not know those bushings were so critical.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Went to the track last night after seeing broken diff bushing
the factory design is utter crap. Exactly how was it "broken" and you thought shoving 600ft/lb thru the assembly wasn't going to end in tears?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
the factory design is utter crap. Exactly how was it "broken" and you thought shoving 600ft/lb thru the assembly wasn't going to end in tears?

Did I read that correctly - OP knew the diff bushing had failed but still proceeded to bring it to the track, then breaks on the line??

upload_2019-12-14_0-59-16.jpeg

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would go with OEM Ford bearings (not sure if this is still the case, but I believe Timken made or makes OEM bearing sets) and gear set and invest in IRS strengthening. Poly or spherical bushings, bracing, etc.

The stock ring and pinion aren’t a weak point until you do some shit like launch it with the equivalent of a wet noodle providing support against hop.

Any flex point in the IRS will have pretty dire consequences with a bushing failure.

Sponsored

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think OP is trying his hand at rivaling 'lost my key fob' thread.
Or the damn Ford for having a gap between frame and fender/tool black hole thread.

Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I was coaxed into street racing once back in 2008 I had really really bald tires on a built 2005 GT with a huge shot of the laughing gas. I said I wouldn't race I just was there to spectate. Peer Pressure got the best of me. Slid across five lanes after loosing it when nitrous sprayed in third. Almost took out a 350z, 2002 Camaro, SRT4, and a 06 GTO, and 2004 corvette. After spinning to a stop, I promptly threw my pants and boxers out the window and went home. I have a feeling peer pressure played a factor in the OP's post.

OP
OP

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt performance, whipple, stage 2 throttle body, rxt clutch, cf driveshaft, steeda subframe kit, 840 hp axles, X force w/ corsa long tubes and mickeys
OP
OP

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
Went to the track last night after seeing broken diff bushing (1) didn't think much of it until wheel hop at burn out then broke pinion at launch did not get far. any good ideas about rebuild. I have stage 2 Whipple, tremek magnum, RXT clutch, CF driveshaft. Occasional drag racing but mostly street. I did not know those bushings were so critical.
OK guys pretty funny probably funnier if I knew what OP is, Ron Howard? Turns out its going to be an axle havent looked into it yet but still ordered steeda axles and lock outs and other sub frame upgrades ....still learning thats why im here, and when im finished see you in my mirror

OP
OP

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)