My BMW 545i feels faster than 2019 Mustang GT

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Let me start by saying I am not comparing my 2005 BMW 545i (4.4 NA 325 HP and 330 torque) with my 2019 Mustang GT.

I'm trying to understand why does my BMW feels so much faster. Is it because it's a ZF automatic vs my manual in mustang. Maybe the automatic mustang GT feels quicker but I have not driven an auto GT.

545i is very nimble and revs to 7k very easily and I feel like it has more low end grunt then the mustang.

I am not sure what makes mustang feels slower when you start driving it from first gear and even at high speeds makes it feel like you are driving it slow. I definitely notice less torque at low rpms in lower gears.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Let me start by saying I am not comparing my 2005 BMW 545i (4.4 NA 325 HP and 330 torque) with my 2019 Mustang GT.

I'm trying to understand why does my BMW feels so much faster. Is it because it's a ZF automatic vs my manual in mustang. Maybe the automatic mustang GT feels quicker but I have not driven an auto GT.

545i is very nimble and revs to 7k very easily and I feel like it has more low end grunt then the mustang.

I am not sure what makes mustang feels slower when you start driving it from first gear and even at high speeds makes it feel like you are driving it slow. I definitely notice less torque at low rpms in lower gears.
Tall gearing on 18+ MT82s.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

You just said it. The BMW's peak power is lower in the rev range than the Mustang.
The BMW's suspension is built more towards a comfortable ride where as the Mustang's suspension is built more towards handling. A performance oriented suspension helps "tame" the power so the car feels more planted.

The Mustang has more horsepower, more torque, and a little less weight.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No one can out perform a newer auto trans... so the “feeling” you are experiencing is the BMW transmission’s ability to not only shift faster but most likely it retains the power in the power band much like the 10R80 does on the S550.

What rear gears are in the BMW?

Overall gearing in ANY vehicle is going to have a role in performance aspects and “feeling” - rear diff gearing (and type) plus the transmission gearing (auto or manual).

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
All I can tell you is my experience in my '19 GT 6 speed and some friends who have ridden with me in the car.
One of them has been wrenching / racing for as long as I have and he's had 9 second 1/4 mile cars, SCCA cars, etc.
When he rode in my '19 he actually wasn't impressed.

UNTIL he looked at the speedometer.

I can tell you the '19 doesn't give the same "feeling" of acceleration and speed that I've witnessed in other cars - especially if you're not driving and watching the tach / speedo.

The only true thing I can tell you after 30+ years of wrenching, racing and driving all kinds of modified and stock performance cars? The butt dyno is almost always not calibrated correctly.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have a 2010 335i with some mods, so it probably has more power than your 545i. But, it does not feel nearly as fast as my GT. But, my BMW has a manual and my GT has the A10. You just can't match a modern automatic with any manual transmission.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
UNTIL he looked at the speedometer.

I can tell you the '19 doesn't give the same "feeling" of acceleration and speed that I've witnessed in other cars - especially if you're not driving and watching the tach / speedo.

This! I thought my GT was slower than my 2013 Camaro SS initially until I started watching the speedo. And the GT was killing the Camaro on pulls in the same sections I like to do those sorts of things. Well I mean the cars were airlifted to Mexico before doing that of course :)

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I've driven rockets for most of my life, and my '19 GT does not impress me..just as my '18 GT didn't...when it comes to being "thrown into the seat". My '02 WS6 with way too many mods will put you in the seat hard, and all my Terminators would do the same. One time my Dad actually went flying backwards in the passenger seat of my Cobra because the manual seat reclining mechanism couldn't handle the torque and decided to lay the seat all the way back under WOT. :crackup:

Here's the thing though: just because you aren't being viciously assaulted like that does not mean the car is slow. It's just that the experience of being thrust backward is something that people expect to happen when they are in a muscle car. However, the new Mustang just accelerates and performs so much smoother, mostly because of advancements in the technology used. My Cobras had, as we all know, a pretty poor IRS system and the interior was crap. Now, my '19 is loaded with gadgets and accelerates like butter off the line. No worries about wheel hop, etc. that I've experienced. Personally, I like the smooth takeoff. Inside the car it feels like you are accelerating normally, but the speedo climbs at a nice rate to remind you just how fast you are going. If it wasn't for my exhaust, I would probably be speeding a lot more.

So, I guess the point of this ramble is I understand what you are saying OP. But feeling just comes from how a car is designed and set up. Your GT is way faster, and if you ever have a chance to put the two head to head, I think you'll be surprised how much faster it actually is.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've owned many Fox Mustangs and they felt fast. Mostly because the brakes and suspension were so bad.

The new Mustang is so capable that it hides its speed.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
I believe they are 3.38 gears

No one can out perform a newer auto trans... so the “feeling” you are experiencing is the BMW transmission’s ability to not only shift faster but most likely it retains the power in the power band much like the 10R80 does on the S550.

What rear gears are in the BMW?

Overall gearing in ANY vehicle is going to have a role in performance aspects and “feeling” - rear diff gearing (and type) plus the transmission gearing (auto or manual).

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
I've driven rockets for most of my life, and my '19 GT does not impress me..just as my '18 GT didn't...when it comes to being "thrown into the seat". My '02 WS6 with way too many mods will put you in the seat hard, and all my Terminators would do the same. One time my Dad actually went flying backwards in the passenger seat of my Cobra because the manual seat reclining mechanism couldn't handle the torque and decided to lay the seat all the way back under WOT. :crackup:

Here's the thing though: just because you aren't being viciously assaulted like that does not mean the car is slow. It's just that the experience of being thrust backward is something that people expect to happen when they are in a muscle car. However, the new Mustang just accelerates and performs so much smoother, mostly because of advancements in the technology used. My Cobras had, as we all know, a pretty poor IRS system and the interior was crap. Now, my '19 is loaded with gadgets and accelerates like butter off the line. No worries about wheel hop, etc. that I've experienced. Personally, I like the smooth takeoff. Inside the car it feels like you are accelerating normally, but the speedo climbs at a nice rate to remind you just how fast you are going. If it wasn't for my exhaust, I would probably be speeding a lot more.

So, I guess the point of this ramble is I understand what you are saying OP. But feeling just comes from how a car is designed and set up. Your GT is way faster, and if you ever have a chance to put the two head to head, I think you'll be surprised how much faster it actually is.
Man that is hilarious. I remember WOT the 05 Mustang GT when my dad went to sleep on the passenger side and he woke up almost in the back seat lol.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Got it. I know it’s available in both rwd and awd so I figured I ask as my fiancé’s awd M56 feels faster off the line than my 10-speed 19 GT despite it being over a second slower to 60mph.
With the 545i, it might just have more low-end torque than your GT?
Sponsored