Mustang GT vs BMW M2 Competition

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
wow you got me, guess Chevrolet is the best auto maker of all time
/s
Would happily take a Corvette or Camaro over your shitty m2 anyday. Have fun with those fart upshifts and being slow for twice the money
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Skipping straight to the punchline, I sold my mustang gt this year and bought a new BMW M2 Competition. Now that I have had the M2 for a couple months I can share my reflections on the two cars.

My mustang was a 2016 GT California Special, 3.55 gearing, mild tune, intake, axle back, etc, but the real investment was the FRPP Street Handling Package and big 19x10 wheels with 285 summer tires on each corner. The mustang had always felt "questionable" to me carving backroads until I did the suspension and tire upgrade. That turned it into a much more competent vehicle.

But after 3 years of ownership I was getting a little bored. I had originally test driven a GT350, but at the time couldn't quite swing the price so instead bought both my GT and an S2000. The S2000 was fantastic even considering mine was beat up. After selling the S2000 and reflecting on my past favorite car of all ownership, the Fiesta ST, I realized what I was missing was the smaller fun to drive car. Other smaller cars I enjoyed owning in the past included a 5th gen Prelude, Mini Cooper, W202 Mercedes C230 Kompressor.

My search included the Supra, 981 Boxster/Cayman S, 997 911, BMW M2, M3/4, Audi TTRS, though I was open to looking at larger cars like the GT350 again, the Camaro ZL1, and a Nissan GTR.
The mustang was the most luxurious car I'd even owned, and I wanted to retain some of that.
I ended up being a no on the GT350 because it was too similar to what I was already getting bored of.
No on the GTR and TTRS (2013) because I would be paranoid driving it worrying about it breaking.
No on the Camaro, M3 and M4 because they're too much of grand tourers, and I wanted more of a sports car.
No on the Porsches due to them being "too adult" (but I will seriously be looking at them in the future when I don't need something as rowdy).
No on the Supra solely due to lack of manual (had it had a manual I would own it already).

So that left the M2... my friends actually were the ones to push me into it and away from the M4. By the stats sheet the M2 competition weighs almost as much as the Mustang and M4, has slightly less power, and even fewer creature comforts (RIP AC seats).
But driving it is a whole other experience; specs sheets don't account for the difference a shorter wheel base makes. And apparently are terrible at accounting for power from a turbo car.
I ended up specing out a new M2c to get the manual and took delivery at BMW's experience center in South Carolina where they gave me a copy of my car to hoon on the track to show what it's capable of. Seriously fun, incredible experience and should any of you get the chance - do it!

Here's the short list of the comparison of the M2 competition vs my old Mustang GT;
  • Torque and Power!!!!! Both have tons. The M2 is rated at less power, but the dynos show it actually puts down a bit more. They feel very close - both are stupid fast for back roads.
  • Stock mustang gt dyno 375 hp / 345 lb ft. Stock M2 competion 388 / 389 based on hunting both forums. M2 gets detuned slightly so it doesn't outperform the M3/4 lol
  • Power curve: surprisingly similar. I would expect the M2 to be punchier, but the way it's tuned it builds like an n/a car.
  • Handling: I put a chunk of change into the mustang and it still isn't close to the M2c. GT350 would be a more fair comparison though. The M2c is soo composed while still letting you have a ton of slidey fun.
  • Sound: yeah obvi the mustang sounds better, no getting around that. Straight 6 sounds okay and the factory exhaust is surprisingly rowdy, but can't beat the V8.
  • Creature comforts: AC seats give the mustang vs cameras in the M2 that read speed limit signs and bring that into your dash. While I gave up the AC seats, the M2 does have a ton of cool techy things in iDrive that a nerd like me LOVES.
  • Price: Even though I made a shocking amount of money on the mustang (seriously who TF is buying these used at over the original MSRP right now??), my original purchase price on the mustang was less than half the M2 - is it half the car? Heck no; it's the value of the century.

So all in all I'm unloading the last parts I have from my mustang and moving on. See ya Mustang6g!
Congrats on the new Bimmer. I sold a 2019 Mustang GT and a mint fbo 2012 135i m sport in June. I really miss the 135i. Does the M2 have hydraulic or electric power steering?

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Would happily take a Corvette or Camaro over your shitty m2 anyday. Have fun with those fart upshifts and being slow for twice the money
I would take my M2 over any mullet mobile Camaro.
The M2 is a smallish, short wheel base twin turbo with 405 hp. Slow ?

I didn't come in here slamming on GM or Ford. Neither did the OP. Grow the fk up and stop getting your panties all twisted, its a forum. Calling people a retard because they don't drive your mass produced, 6 at every light mullet ride is pretty sad.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
lol…did you read the title?!?
As the OP and author of said title it's simply a comparison, primarily written for other car enthusiasts. One car isn't better than the other in all situations.
I outlined my situation and why I determined the M2C was the car for me. I always used to read this section of the forum and wanted to contribute too.

If the camaro, corvette, cayman, elantra, f-type, 86, etc is the car for you, I'm interested to read why because I just love cars.

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Congrats on the new Bimmer. I sold a 2019 Mustang GT and a mint fbo 2012 135i m sport in June. I really miss the 135i. Does the M2 have hydraulic or electric power steering?
Love the 1 series, congrats!
The M2 has electric power steering which I will admit is one of the weaker points in the car. Nothing beats hydraulic for feel.

Some cars with electric feel good like the GT350 and the modern Porsches. I just couldn't get my GT quite to that level, though the upgraded suspension and tires were a noticeable improvement. Electric just won't ever quite feel like that hydraulic.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I did the same a while back. I have owned 5 Mustangs. I got the M2 because I didn't want to pay ADM on the Mach. However, anytime brought up. some people go full "Merica" and get all wound up. As if you cant have any other car be fun, unless its Mustang or for some reason a Camaro. lol

Last edited:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I sort of did the opposite, had a M235xi and went to the Mustang. Was a little worried because that BMW was so fun, but the Mustang puts a bigger smile on my face.

Glad I got to have both!

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Love the 1 series, congrats!
The M2 has electric power steering which I will admit is one of the weaker points in the car. Nothing beats hydraulic for feel.

Some cars with electric feel good like the GT350 and the modern Porsches. I just couldn't get my GT quite to that level, though the upgraded suspension and tires were a noticeable improvement. Electric just won't ever quite feel like that hydraulic.
I hear you. I had the 135i (which had hydraulic steering) and my 2019 GT at the same time. In 14 months of ownership, I only put 681 miles on the Mustang, and in that same time, I put about 12k on the 135i. . Every time I would get behind the wheel of the Mustang, it was such a disappointment. My 135i had the full M3 suspension under it, so that made it handle like it was on rails. I changed out the shifter, springs, shocks/struts, sway bars and installed the Ford Calibration Kit and still couldn't get the Mustang to drive the way I wanted it to. There's just something different about how connected a BMW feels to the road that I couldn't get with the Mustang. Every generation of Mustang gets better, but I feel like they are playing catch-up with a lot of other companies when it comes to drivetrain dynamics. A lot of that comes down to the fact that a despite the fact that you can spend over $100k on a Mustang, it's still built on the exact same platform as the $24k 2015 Mustang V6.

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I hear you. I had the 135i (which had hydraulic steering) and my 2019 GT at the same time. In 14 months of ownership, I only put 681 miles on the Mustang, and in that same time, I put about 12k on the 135i. . Every time I would get behind the wheel of the Mustang, it was such a disappointment. My 135i had the full M3 suspension under it, so that made it handle like it was on rails. I changed out the shifter, springs, shocks/struts, sway bars and installed the Ford Calibration Kit and still couldn't get the Mustang to drive the way I wanted it to. There's just something different about how connected a BMW feels to the road that I couldn't get with the Mustang. Every generation of Mustang gets better, but I feel like they are playing catch-up with a lot of other companies when it comes to drivetrain dynamics. A lot of that comes down to the fact that a despite the fact that you can spend over $100k on a Mustang, it's still built on the exact same platform as the $24k 2015 Mustang V6.
To be fair, a 2 series goes from $35k POS 228i all the way to the M2 CS for over $100k. The M2 is probably the only new BMW I would buy.

I had an e92 M3, which I believe, is the suspension you used on your 135i. It was a great car that handled very well. The steering was among the best I have ever driven. I think the steering plays a big role in how connected you feel. BMW also did a great job with the roll over center communicating what the car is doing in corners which created confidence.

Outside of those two items and the nicer interior, all categories are in favor of the GT350. If we move to the M4, even more so as BMW lost a lot of that communicative nature they once had.

Suspension, chassis, mechanical grip, brakes, manual transmissions, power, cooling, etc., all go to the GT350. I know GTs with the PP can get very close to GT350s in these categories which should put it above the M2.

Ms have a douchebag reputation and the Mustangs have a bit of a redneck reputation. I think both are dumb. Be an enthusiast and opt for the experience you will enjoy most.

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
M2C was my second choice. Went from a Honda Civic Si to G35 to SRT8, all getting bigger. The ‘92 Civic Si was a blast to toss.

Decided to stick with a V-8 in the end.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Sadly only the non-comp versions are avail with a manual, and the new grill is horrible looking.

I actually like the grill, in person it looks way better than in photos. The way the hood matches up to the grill I find amazing. To each his own.

I drove a 6MT G82 M4 and I was blown away at the power. The midrange punch and off of idle is impressive and it pulls to redline just like a normally aspirated motor. A non Comp package 6MT cars run 12.0 @ 120+mph in the 1/4 mile.

If I sell my Mustang, this is my next car.
Sponsored