My Winter Wheel Package

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I recently purchased 19” Boss 302s with Pirelli Sottozero Series II tires from Tire Rack.

My Mustang is my daily driver and came with summer only Michelin Pilot 4S tires.

I probably won’t need to switch them out until late November.

I travel a lot on the weekends to PA and Western Md.

Not taking any chances with my safety in the wintertime.
DADF4142-9668-4267-8091-D4C24FE76701.jpeg
3B53B4CD-F526-4147-A33C-D7BE5D80B70D.jpeg
E7C5586F-C848-462B-9F5D-F254DB64C377.jpeg
Sponsored

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
nice winter package!

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Nice choice!

I daily winter mine in Calgary,AB weather. Good amounts of snow.

Run a set of studded Hakkapeliitta....but I think any non-studded winter is great too.

Surprisingly, these vehicles do fairly well in the winter with a calm right foot.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Did you get the TPMS with them too?

I'm gonna be ordering mine soon too.

Will be interesting to see what those look like on the car.

OP
OP

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Did you get the TPMS with them too?

I'm gonna be ordering mine soon too.

Will be interesting to see what those look like on the car.
Yeap. The sensors didn’t cost that much.

I really like the PP1 Black Mesh rims but it’s nice to change up the look with some winter wheels. Don’t go cheap. Gotta look good in all seasons.

I can’t express in words how much I love driving a Mustang GT with all the performance goodies.

And I used to be a diehard German car fanboy! I previously owned a BMW 330i, M235, 335i and 2 VW GTIs heavily modded.

I test drove a 5.0 back in 2005 but I was not impressed. Nothing like the new models with MagneRide, independent rear suspension, active quad exhaust and the PP1 package.

Good times ahead.

Sponsored

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
I've owned Mustangs in the past, but never bothered with snow tires - and it sucked driving them in Michigan winters.
This time around, I ponied up (ha!) for a extra set of wheels with Blizzak snow tires. Hopefully these will make a difference!
snowtires.jpg

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
What width of wheel did you get? I am seeing winter alloys ranging from 8.5 to 10 inches. Does the width even matter? The tires they are offering are 255-40-19. (18" wheels will not fit my car due to the pp1 brembo brakes)

OP
OP

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
What width of wheel did you get? I am seeing winter alloys ranging from 8.5 to 10 inches. Does the width even matter? The tires they are offering are 255-40-19. (18" wheels will not fit my car due to the pp1 brembo brakes)
255/40R-19x9 (front)
275/40R-19x10 (rear)

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Everything matters. From what I have read/ been told, tire compound and tread pattern matter most. Width is important but these are more. If you have a good winter compound, you will get grip. Winter compound is better than all season which is better than summers for winter driving.

Next, a tread pattern with good spaces and sipes will trap snow giving better snow traction. From what I gather, snow grips snow and tires are designed to grab snow to improve traction.

Finally is tire width. narrow is better. I recall finding in my recent searches that the recommend a 235/50R18 for the Mustang GT. Of course, you and I have the issue of 15" Brembos so nothing smaller than a 19" wheel will fit. That still doesn't stop you from putting a 235 or 245 tire on. Use a tire calculator (I like this one: https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/) and figure out what size matches you original tire's diameter. Since I have a PP2 package and did not get the information I was looking for, I did not want to run out and purchase new wheels. I ended up getting the smaller tire width that can fit my rims (19"x10.5/11") which were 275/35R19. Car came with 305/30R19. Is it ideal, no. I will probably need to add some weight to the trunk to make them work and even then it won't be the best. Then again, I live on Long Island where winters aren't that bad. Last year we didn't even get enough snowfall to cover the streets all winter. Of course the reason was that I fixed a great snowblower someone threw out for $40 (blower was $1000) and now I have 2 snowblowers. I never got the really try out the new one.

Phakdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 23 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
I recently purchased 19” Boss 302s with Pirelli Sottozero Series II tires from Tire Rack.

My Mustang is my daily driver and came with summer only Michelin Pilot 4S tires.

I probably won’t need to switch them out until late November.

I travel a lot on the weekends to PA and Western Md.

Not taking any chances with my safety in the wintertime.
DADF4142-9668-4267-8091-D4C24FE76701.jpeg
3B53B4CD-F526-4147-A33C-D7BE5D80B70D.jpeg
E7C5586F-C848-462B-9F5D-F254DB64C377.jpeg
Thanks for sharing the winter tire package you got. I am going to buy the exact same package from Tirerack.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for sharing the winter tire package you got. I am going to buy the exact same package from Tirerack.
Cool. I hope you like them. They weren’t cheap but I wanted OEM Ford Performance wheels and sporty winter tires. Only 2 winter tires fit these wheels due to their size (because of the 6 piston calipers up front) Blizzaks and Sottozero

I’ve never driven a 460 hp rear wheel drive car before. Northern VA doesn’t get much snow but there’s plenty of icy and slushy conditions from Dec thru March.

Phakdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 23 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Cool. I hope you like them. They weren’t cheap but I wanted OEM Ford Performance wheels and sporty winter tires. Only 2 winter tires fit these wheels due to their size (because of the 6 piston calipers up front) Blizzaks and Sottozero

I’ve never driven a 460 hp rear wheel drive car before. Northern VA doesn’t get much snow but there’s plenty of icy and slushy conditions from Dec thru March.
My Mustang has PP1 also. And I live in North Jersey, would expect more snow than VA. Gotta pay for the winter tires since this is my daily driver.

dominic msu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Magnetic Grey 6SP 401A PP1 MagneRide Active Exhaust
went with this as well. Was debating between the Pirelli Winters and the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Went with the Pirelli just because they are run flats.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'm considering the Blizzak WS80 right now because mostly they are on closeout - there seems to be a newer model WS90, though it's like ~200 a tire. My father swore by Michelin's x-ice - but man ~200 a tire is a lot to swallow no matter how I look at it at either brand, unless I go Closeout Blizzak WS80 of course. But going closeout, older model I'm not sure I want to do that, I'd like to be in 'current' models of tire.

So the Continental VikingContact 7 winters have caught my eye, the price seems solid, (~170) and they look to be a 'new' tire so the latest like research and tech is in them. Being new is not always going to be 'the best' but I'm willing to bet they will perform very well. Has anyone run them here by chance last year? (I think they launched last year actually...) I kinda like the tread pattern too? If that's a valid reason as well.
:crackup:

I'd like to use some dedicated wheels also and not trash up my OEM non-Performance Pack wheels (as they look kinda nice even being an 18" Imo). So I'm looking currently at American Racing AR928 as they kinda give me a good vibe and are still near the bottom of 'wheel cost'.

Ugh :piggybank:.

I'm not sure, but I just know I should commit to winters, It'll give me a nice peace of mind, and also the idea of me potentially driving easily right by a struggling SUV or Truck (which could in theory happen as 4-wheel drive doesn't solve everything) would be funny to me in my bright green Mustang GT. lol

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I had the same wheels for mine with the same size tires but Michelin Alpin PA4's. They were fantastic in the snow and actually look really good on the car. I can't for the life of me find a picture of them though.
Sponsored