My Winter Wheel Package

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Still, I wish you luck and keep us informed on how they perform. You might make me a believer and I'll get some too. Personally, for snow, I am a Nokian or Michelin fan.
Will do.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Totally agree with this and so, in fact, the wheels and tires I bought are narrower than the stock wheels and tires on my Bullitt.
Also appreciate all your other careful thoughts and thorough analysis.
Note, though, that this was not my first choice of tires, or wheels for that matter, but was an excellent deal I found online that was close to what I was looking for and too good to turn down.
So after checking tire reviews (which put these behind, for example, Blizzaks, but ahead of several other winter tire options), I bought the set from a former Mustang owner at what I believe was a super price.
And they should do for my needs.
That's because the Mustang is not our only car. The other one, our main family car, is a CX-5.
And for that car I did purchase Blizzaks for the winter.
With the Mustang, the idea is just to keep the car available for second car duty on clear winter days, as well as to make sure it is reasonably capable in case severe weather is encountered on a longer trip. This includes our annual extended family Christmas trek to my father-in-law's in Quebec, where the winter weather is significantly more severe than where I live in southern Ontario.
Please forgive me if I came out a little over protective. I am a big fan of Mustangs and the Mustang community. Anything I can do to keep the community safe and continuing I tend to go a little over the top with. The community has been very helpful and I try my best to give back when I can. Just hoping to keep Mustangs and this community going for a long time into the future.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Last winter I kept my Corsa 4s mounted and didnā€™t drive it when it got below 45. Thatā€™s the reason why after 18 months of ownership I have exactly 5K on the car. I have a 2019 RAV4 with Blizzaks, so snow was no issue.

This winter I wanted to enjoy the Mustang more, so I just installed Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus 275/40/19. Theyā€™re a fraction wider than the Corsa 4s 265/40/19 that come with the Handling Package on the HPP. Have only 3 sunny miles on them.

My plan when the Corsa 4s are shot is to run the Continentals year round since I donā€™t hit the track.

Gramkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
The factory stops manufacturing cars with summer only. They have no control over what a dealer does with cars in inventory.
That's why I'm planning on ordering for a spring delivery.

Sponsored

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Still, I wish you luck and keep us informed on how they perform. You might make me a believer and I'll get some too. Personally, for snow, I am a Nokian or Michelin fan.

Last week it was rainy and around 10C and the Michelins were feeling pretty slippy. That and some nighttime lows in the 2s and 3s coming up in the Toronto area this week has got me making the switch earlier than I expected.

Nothing to report yet - it got to a sunny 16 today - except that the ride and handling seemed okay and no excessive tire noise.

DA305D4A-2D21-4EEA-BCFB-6C40DE6F3AD4.jpeg

Last edited:

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Translation into Fahrenheit:

Last week it was rainy and around 50 F and the Michelins were feeling pretty slippy. That and some nighttime lows in the mid 30s coming up in the Toronto area this week has got me making the switch earlier than I expected.

Nothing to report yet - it got to a sunny 61 today - except that the ride and handling seemed okay and no excessive tire noise.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Last week it was rainy and around 10C and the Michelins were feeling pretty slippy. That and some nighttime lows in the 2s and 3s coming up in the Toronto area this coming week has got me making the switch earlier than I expected.

Nothing to report yet - it got to a sunny 16 today - except that the ride and handling seemed okay and no excessive tire noise.

DA305D4A-2D21-4EEA-BCFB-6C40DE6F3AD4.jpeg
Those wheels look awesome on the Bullitt. šŸ‘

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Everything matters. From what I have read/ been told, tire compound and tread pattern matter most. Width is important but these are more. If you have a good winter compound, you will get grip. Winter compound is better than all season which is better than summers for winter driving.

Next, a tread pattern with good spaces and sipes will trap snow giving better snow traction. From what I gather, snow grips snow and tires are designed to grab snow to improve traction.

Finally is tire width. narrow is better. I recall finding in my recent searches that the recommend a 235/50R18 for the Mustang GT. Of course, you and I have the issue of 15" Brembos so nothing smaller than a 19" wheel will fit. That still doesn't stop you from putting a 235 or 245 tire on. Use a tire calculator (I like this one: https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/) and figure out what size matches you original tire's diameter. Since I have a PP2 package and did not get the information I was looking for, I did not want to run out and purchase new wheels. I ended up getting the smaller tire width that can fit my rims (19"x10.5/11") which were 275/35R19. Car came with 305/30R19. Is it ideal, no. I will probably need to add some weight to the trunk to make them work and even then it won't be the best. Then again, I live on Long Island where winters aren't that bad. Last year we didn't even get enough snowfall to cover the streets all winter. Of course the reason was that I fixed a great snowblower someone threw out for $40 (blower was $1000) and now I have 2 snowblowers. I never got the really try out the new one.
Well if we do get snow and you want to try out that second snow blower I live in Amityville. Just kidding I have a bunch of High Schoolers that do the shoveling for me.

Sponsored

Willistylz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
christopher
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP 2
Hello all,
New owner of this 19 GT PP2. As you can imagine Iā€™m torn as to what I want to do about the rims and tires for winter. Since I just purchased Iā€™m a bit pressed for time to get some type of setup for upcoming CT winter season. Lots of good info in this thread, but anyone have any pointers on wheels and tire packages? Due to time I may have to go with the 275/35 blizzak LM 32 setup on my stock rims.
If I can find a package rims/tires like fly2high has It would make things easier. Does the 9.5 setup all around work well? And with the +22 +45 offsets were they more flush than the poke from the PP2 setup? What were the rims you purchased? Obviously I need clearance on the brembos if I change wheels.
Was looking at something like this https://www.fitmentindustries.com/b...20-19x95-22?&staggered=AV2019955H35BK&brakes=
Any advice or links to products appreciated!

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,
New owner of this 19 GT PP2. As you can imagine Iā€™m torn as to what I want to do about the rims and tires for winter. Since I just purchased Iā€™m a bit pressed for time to get some type of setup for upcoming CT winter season. Lots of good info in this thread, but anyone have any pointers on wheels and tire packages? Due to time I may have to go with the 275/35 blizzak LM 32 setup on my stock rims.
If I can find a package rims/tires like fly2high has It would make things easier. Does the 9.5 setup all around work well? And with the +22 +45 offsets were they more flush than the poke from the PP2 setup? What were the rims you purchased? Obviously I need clearance on the brembos if I change wheels.
Was looking at something like this https://www.fitmentindustries.com/b...20-19x95-22?&staggered=AV2019955H35BK&brakes=
Any advice or links to products appreciated!
full.jpg

I purchased Blizzaks and the least expensive Mustang wheels on TireRack; mounted, balanced, TPMS, and shipped to Germany (I lived there years ago) for a relatively decent price.

Iā€™m on my 6 winter now with these, 5th with plenty of snow, and theyā€™ve held up great and never left me stranded. I even had the Blizzaks cruising often at ~115mph on the Autobahns and they handle well at speed too.

- Mike

Willistylz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
christopher
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP 2
full.jpg

I purchased Blizzaks and the least expensive Mustang wheels on TireRack; mounted, balanced, TPMS, and shipped to Germany (I lived there years ago) for a relatively decent price.

Iā€™m on my 6 winter now with these, 5th with plenty of snow, and theyā€™ve held up great and never left me stranded. I even had the Blizzaks cruising often at ~115mph on the Autobahns and they handle well at speed too.

- Mike
Hi mike!
Thanks for the reply!
What 19 in wheels did you go with 9.5 or larger? Staggering or same all around and what offsetting did you do front and rear.
Thanks!

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
As boring as it is, 245 45 R19 is the right size for ā€œrealā€ snow tires and that size fits fine on an 19x8.5 or 19x9.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi mike!
Thanks for the reply!
What 19 in wheels did you go with 9.5 or larger? Staggering or same all around and what offsetting did you do front and rear.
Thanks!
My winter 19s are very close to factory PP specs: 19x8.5F and 19x9.5R. I canā€™t recall the exact backspacing, but they are slightly more aggressive than stock (maybe an additional 10mm each).

Tires are 255/40/19F and 275/40/19R.
Sponsored