Sponsored

Dealer wrecked my 2019 GT350

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't know. instant 35% discount and new right rear suspension assembly as condition of sale.
A hard hit like that could do more than just right suspension. Could be so many things. I wouldn't trust it as a "new" vehicle. Airbags = savage in my "humble" opinion.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Not to mention airbags leave lots of powder residue in a car when they go off and you will never get it all cleaned up. Plus airbags are very expensive to replace.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wouldn't want this car with a discount, with suspension damage and air bags deployed. It will need to go directly to the used car lot, do not pass go.
I would've agreed with you before I started tracking my car. Now that I see how durable these cars are, not sure I'd care if it had been banged up and been repaired. Assuming the repairs solid and you're taken care, it's essentially a new car with a big discount.

As with all these situations, the details matter. Ultimately it would depend on what kind of shape it is in.

Deleted member 35644

There's no way I'd take a car that was slammed sideways into a curb hard enough to set off the air bags. There could be far more going on underneath than just suspension damage. Walk.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
sounds like they were testing the Track Apps / Accelerometer to see if its working before delivering the car but forgot that brand new tires don't grip as well.
Brand new tires are the stickiest!

They're just idiots who don't know how to drive. I'm always surprised when people wreck this car. The nannies are damn good. You have to try really hard (or be really dumb) to over power those and still react poorly enough to lose it.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Brand new tires are the stickiest!

They're just idiots who don't know how to drive. I'm always surprised when people wreck this car. The nannies are damn good. You have to try really hard (or be really dumb) to over power those and still react poorly enough to lose it.
Unless GT350 has special tires, this is the usual advice:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5
TIRE TECH: BREAKING IN YOUR TIRES
"Note: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period of 500 miles for optimum performance.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Unless GT350 has special tires, this is the usual advice:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5
TIRE TECH: BREAKING IN YOUR TIRES
"Note: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period of 500 miles for optimum performance.
I have no doubt there's some technical truth to that (although who knows what conditions that true under), I'll bet that's mostly legal ass-covering.

Most high performance tires are stickiest when new (assuming they're hot--which is true for any tire).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer person probably floored it coming out of a tight turn (eg. leaving the parking lot), rear end came around and then swung the other way into the curb. The OP is in Colorado. Temps are probably pretty low and tires were likely at ambient.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Also another member on here lists a GT350 in Orange Fury in their signature for lower than MSRP, can't recall who but maybe he'll see this.

Saw the post!

The OF GT350 is still available. I think they’ll negotiate so it couldn’t hurt to call. PM me for contact info.

@Frank.Herbst , really sorry that happened to you. I like @honeybadger ’s idea of a discount but it would have to be substantial imo- deep, very deep.

I also agree with the others cautioning about the bag deployment and such... You’d be taking on a lot of risk...

Good Luck. I hope it all turns out in your favor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The dealer person probably floored it coming out of a tight turn (eg. leaving the parking lot), rear end came around and then swung the other way into the curb. The OP is in Colorado. Temps are probably pretty low and tires were likely at ambient.
weather report shows that Denver will get a cold front next Thursday, 39/26. Low temps is a better theory. Sounds like the dealership new hire training needs to include reading Summer Tires for Dummies.

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I had already signed a purchase agreement and put a deposit down on a very nice 2019 GT350. Very well optioned and it was also the Orange Fury color I want. Sorry about the color, I know lots of you guys like the quiet colors but all the way back to my BOSS 302 cars I like bright colors. Any way I was scheduled to pickup my Shelby today but got a call earlier this week telling me the car was in an accident. The now fired general manager showed his ass and slid the Shelby into a curb deploying both left and right side shoulder air bag rows and braking the back right rim. The tire was also damaged.

I was thinking you guys would be interested and also wondering if anyone else has been through this.

Frank
That's terrible! I can tell you as an old accident reconstructionist that the sensors for airbags primarily trigger large changes in velocity along the longitudinal axis of the car. I'm sure improvements have been made to detect the same changes in velocity for severe lateral axis impacts (T-Bones). But to slam a car into a curb so hard that it deploys the side bags - WOW! - the car thought it was T-Boned and was trying to save a life. Vicious impact.

I also agree with the post that it might be a BS story and they just got a higher offer - go look at it, you have a deposit on it! - if they can't produce it I would escalate that ethics complaint as high as Ford would let me.

Lastly, when I picked up my car with 16 miles on it, or I hear other people saying the car had 50 miles on it, this is exactly the scenario that goes through my head! The once-a-year Shelby just showed up! Let's gas her up and give her hell before some rich bastard comes in and buys it! You never really know what has happened to your car until you take possession of it. Single digits on the odometer, please! :sunglasses:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe there was a crowd near by and that's why the mustang lost control

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the car thought it was T-Boned and was trying to save a life. Vicious impact.
these are the shoulder bags - ie protecting side movement of the head into the window glass. Hitting a curb is far more forceful (as measured WRT instantaneous G-force) than a T-bone because the curb doesn't give way - it's a very sudden stop. A t-bone has less of a spike since the bonee is being pushed laterally the moment tire traction is exceeded.

I guess I would add half-shaft to the repair and a very thorough inspection of the diff.

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
these are the shoulder bags - ie protecting side movement of the head into the window glass. Hitting a curb is far more forceful (as measured WRT instantaneous G-force) than a T-bone because the curb doesn't give way - it's a very sudden stop. A t-bone has less of a spike since the bonee is being pushed laterally the moment tire traction is exceeded.

I guess I would add half-shaft to the repair and a very thorough inspection of the diff.
Good point, but a curb isn't a solid wall, you're going to have some roll around the x-axis unless either the CG is so low or the curb is so high that the momentum in that direction is instantly stopped (other than crush).
Sponsored