Crazy rasp after TSP catless longtubes install

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
So this week I installed my TSP catless longtubes. Before this i had muffler deletes and that's it. So now i have catless longtubes, stock resonator, and no mufflers and it is extremely raspy. So I'm looking for advice on hpipe and mufflers to weld in. I like the deep rumble of the older mustangs and looking to go more that route than the raspyness of the coyote. So what have you all used to get that deep rumble?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
the deep rumble of the older mustangs and looking to go more that route than the raspyness of the coyote.
Never gonna happen. This engine is what it is.

Removing cats increases rasp. Put them back or add in significant length resonators.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Borla/Ford Performance resonator + AWE Touring axle-backs

The FP resonator will go a long way toward killing the rasp and the AWE will give some of the 'old-school' muscle car sound.

WTF anyone would completely delete the mufflers is beyond me? My guess is you are still in your 20's and you thought that would sound good?

Last edited:
OP
OP
damondewaynehuff84

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Borla/Ford Performance resonator + AWE Touring axle-backs

The FP resonator will go a long way toward killing the rasp and the AWE will give some of the 'old-school' muscle car sound.

WTF anyone would completely delete the mufflers is beyond me? My guess is you are still in your 20's and you thought that would sound good?
Actually no I'm 35 and it sounded great for the first year until I put the longtubes on this week. It's all personal preference. Not gonna really make much difference performance wise. The muffler deletes that every company sells aren't made for no reason. Obviously people like them. I didnt do this I just made my own but now need to go with mufflers because things have changed. So if you have a suggestion thanks. That's all I was asking for.

I have thought about awe touring cause I've heard a lot of good things about them. But I see no need to spend that kinda money when I can just weld in mufflers. The resonators aren't a bad idea once I get the stock resonator off and an Hpipe put in its place. I know the hpipe will lower it a little. The stock resonator makes it sound like I have glass packs on there right now

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have heard of guys having luck with an H-pipe with weld in resonators. Some have welded resonators straight into the headers.

I think you will have to go back with mufflers to get better sounds.

The firing order on these cars isn’t conducive to producing the old muscle car sound. I did what is similar to a muffler delete and really like the sound. It seems to work very well with the stock resonator.

Any 4.6 will always sound better in my opionion just because of firing order.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Raspiness......hmmmm pretty much any multivalve engine running straight pipe or a muffler at the end on the exhaust will have a raspy tone (ie Honda, Nissan, Porsche, etc). Only real fix are resonators or moving the mufflers in, away from the end of the exhaust run.
Muscle car sound, most tend to forget muscle cars had the mufflers for the most part, before the rear axle under the passenger cabin and the interior exhaust noise and drone was just something we dealt with.
Raspy goes with the new image of the mustang as a world class sports car and ford has moved away from mustang as a muscle car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Having the muffler in the middle doesn't create drone. A muffler that doesn't attenuate the drone-causing frequencies (120-150 Hz typically) is what causes drone.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The firing order on these cars isn’t conducive to producing the old muscle car sound
Really? Here's that flathead ford, which has the same firing order as the coyote.. sound pretty muscle car to me.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Really? Here's that flathead ford, which has the same firing order as the coyote.. sound pretty muscle car to me.
That is one sweet sounding motor. I have never compared the high Rpm sound of the flathead to the coyote. It’s pretty intesting how similar they sound.

Coyote

Flathead coyote

I grew up with the sound of the 4.6 so I defiantly have some bias.

All these motors sound awesome. That flathead has a great sound.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Flatheads have very different flow compared with a modern engine, and they're also 2V per cylinder. Header design also changes tone significantly. The 4.6 engines have the old 4-to-1 cast header which makes for a distinct tone (LS engines similar) but isn't as good as the Tri-Y header of the Coyote for making power. Head design, valve count and design, VCT, header design and firing order all influence the frequency content going into the exhaust system. Even the intake manifold can have some effect.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i love the rasp of straight through no mufflers/resonators/cats etc just 3" from collectors back once you get right up the rpm it sounds glorious

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
i love the rasp of straight through no mufflers/resonators/cats etc just 3" from collectors back once you get right up the rpm it sounds glorious
Haha my buddy did that to his s197. Most obnoxious sound ever.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Haha my buddy did that to his s197. Most obnoxious sound ever.
its the best sound ever deep popping rumble when just on tickover but really step on it make sure its on cam and the bark is very similar to gt/touring cars over here. no point in trying to make it sound like a classic it never will so take advantage of how it does sound.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
So this week I installed my TSP catless longtubes. Before this i had muffler deletes and that's it. So now i have catless longtubes, stock resonator, and no mufflers and it is extremely raspy. So I'm looking for advice on hpipe and mufflers to weld in. I like the deep rumble of the older mustangs and looking to go more that route than the raspyness of the coyote. So what have you all used to get that deep rumble?
I have a custom setup with the CJPP center magnaflow X muffler and some borlas out back and it is DEEP at idle and lower RPM, where you feel it in your chest more than hear it, very strange for a coyote. Zero rasp or drone, but it does tend to mellow out and become very quiet over around 4000rpm. Just sounds like air moving.
Sponsored