2018 Digital Cluster Installation Guide

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
So I've receive and installed my cluster. But it appears to be a Bullitt cluster, I've got the Bullitt startup animation and the 180 MPH speedo. Is this something that can be adjusted in As Built or does it require a different firmware/different cluster?

Either way, this is definitely my favorite upgrade for the car so far. Totally worth all of the research, money, and time. '

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this to make it possible.
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yeah that canā€™t be changed at all through forscan. A reprogram or exchange is the only way to ā€˜fixā€™ that. Either way, youā€™re removing the cluster, boxing it up and sending it out if you are wanting the standard digital cluster.

Azwakeboarder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
That error code has to do with the Adaptive Cruise Control and the cars that have a camera by the mirror if I am not mistaken. I added the Adaptive Cruise to my 2016 and had that error before. Need to fix the asbuilt code to get it cleared.
Thanks p6cl I will take a look at that line. Since I don't have that option that would make sense.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that canā€™t be changed at all through forscan. A reprogram or exchange is the only way to ā€˜fixā€™ that. Either way, youā€™re removing the cluster, boxing it up and sending it out if you are wanting the standard digital cluster.
That's what I figured. Its not a big enough deal to swap, if I could program it, I would, but not worth removing it or swapping. Thanks.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I figured. Its not a big enough deal to swap, if I could program it, I would, but not worth removing it or swapping. Thanks.
I had the speedo upgrade at one time. You can turn off the start up animation in the ipc. Adaptive cruise does not work with it, at least at this time as it is not an option on the bulitt.

This has been fixed by StangB and works now with the 180mph Speedo and Adaptive Cruise.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So I've receive and installed my cluster. But it appears to be a Bullitt cluster
What was the source? Was it supposed to be a new or used cluster?

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like you can change that startup animation also to regular, gt350 and Bullit. Maybe the Bullit is excluded though ...

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
What was the source? Was it supposed to be a new or used cluster?
I purchased from eBay, see the link below. Iā€™m by no means upset, Iā€™m very happy with my purchase, itā€™s brand new and for the correct configuration (manual/mph) but I wasnā€™t expecting a bullitt cluster, just wondered if I could adjust it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223471690896

I would have purchased from auto nation, but the 300 core charge kinda killed it for me.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I purchased from eBay, see the link below. Iā€™m by no means upset, Iā€™m very happy with my purchase, itā€™s brand new and for the correct configuration (manual/mph) but I wasnā€™t expecting a bullitt cluster, just wondered if I could adjust it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223471690896

I would have purchased from auto nation, but the 300 core charge kinda killed it for me.

Can the Bullitt cluster be used in a 10R80 equipped S550? Only asking because based on that ad in the link, they are saying itā€™s for an S550 with 6-speed MT82.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Can the Bullitt cluster be used in a 10R80 equipped S550? Only asking because based on that ad in the link, they are saying itā€™s for an S550 with 6-speed MT82.
I don't believe so since the Bullitt was only manual. I'm guessing that you could get it flashed by breeves or one of the other vendors, but I believe the added cost would make that not worth buying from them and just getting it right from Ford.

FYI that vendor had them available for the autos and basically all the configurations as well. Sounds like he gets new stock often. He didn't have the manual/mph available in an auction when I contacted him, but he got them in a a day later, I'd suggest messaging him to find out.

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I have a 19 premium and my friend has a 19 base to which he upgraded to the digital cluster. He updated his ecu to take advantage of the features with forscan. If I buy his digital cluster will it be plug and play with my premium as far as what features my car comes standard with? Will the miles be the same as I have now? It a really gd price he is asking since he is trading it in. Thanks in advance.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
I have a 19 premium and my friend has a 19 base to which he upgraded to the digital cluster. He updated his ecu to take advantage of the features with forscan. If I buy his digital cluster will it be plug and play with my premium as far as what features my car comes standard with? Will the miles be the same as I have now? It a really gd price he is asking since he is trading it in. Thanks in advance.
You should be able to plug in it and it should work for the most part, but unless you have the same options exactly, you will most likely have to change it in forscan at least a little. Itā€™s pretty easy, so I wouldnā€™t be to worried about it, just buy the module and download forscan and follow any of the various instructions in this thread or all over the site.

The miles will be whatever he had on it, you can add miles to that number but if you have less you canā€™t take them away in forscan. You would have to send it out to be reprogrammed.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Add me to the list of successful cluster swaps! Big thanks to Sam Breeves! I bought the complete kit and everything worked right out of the box, except the TPS. I had to relearn that, but everything else was perfect and worked straight away. I took my sweet time and the swap took roughly 3.5 hours. As with most things, if I had to do another swap, I could do it in half the time. I didn't want to break any trim panels or lose any clips, so I really went slowly.

My lessons learned:

Best video to show how the swap is done:
Best video to show how to get the airbag off, which is Step 1. Bill shows a closeup of what the springs look like and where they are:

The biggest worry for me was cutting out the panel, but that turned out to be pretty easy. I highly recommend you follow what the guy in the first video does when cutting the top of the panel; he pulls it away from the air duct right behind it. I was VERY careful when I cut across the top and didn't even nick the air duct. Ironically, the panel is thicker plastic than the air duct is, so it would be too easy to damage it. Pull the panel away from the duct while cutting and carefully control your depth of cut and you'll be just fine. If a ham-fisted caveman like me can do it, you can too.

Some pics.

I used an oscillating multi tool to do the cutting. It was like $15 at Harbor Freight.
IMG_20190811_155023338 (Medium).jpg

The blade on the tool.
IMG_20190811_155023338 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190811_155025650 (Medium).jpg

Went thru the panel like butter. First cut:
IMG_20190811_155101769 (Medium).jpg

Second cut:
IMG_20190811_155106499 (Medium).jpg

Cut across the top. Note the hook-shaped piece at the upper-right. I could've cut it shorter but I was OK. At the length shown it clears the cluster by about 3/8"
IMG_20190811_155528201 (Medium).jpg

End result
IMG_20190811_155558490 (Medium).jpg

I detest rattles in anything but racecars and old trucks. I had this old speaker gasket foam tape laying around. It's 1/2" wide and about 1/4" thick, uncompressed.

IMG_20190811_160938289 (Medium).jpg

I did my best to determine where the cluster was resting against what's left of the rear, plastic panel and I put 3 strips across that point.

IMG_20190811_161005667 (Medium).jpg

I put the cluster in and pressed it against the foam to try and see where it was actually hitting. If you look closely at the bottom row of foam, right side, you can see the imprint of the heatsink on the back of the cluster. Not as much contact as I'd have hoped, but I can tell you that w/the foam, the cluster is in there nice and snug. No rattles or movement.

IMG_20190811_161108908 (Medium).jpg

Finally, the mandatory "Here's my digital cluster in all its' glory" pic.

IMG_20190811_174856670 (Medium).jpg

I took a cruise to Walmart...hey, we needed stuff...don't laugh. ;) to check it out and all is well! Everything works; voice commands, nav, cruise control, etc. Will take me a little time to get used to having the radio and cluster controls swapped L/R, and what all the new features are, but those are First World Problems. :D

Very happy so far. I must say, after finding this thread a few weeks back, I really felt that the stock, analog cluster in my '17 was dated and looked out of place. Now the dash truly befits the modified, fast car that its' in!

Big thanks again to Sam Breeves. I didn't have to do any fiddling with Forscan. This was truly plug and play. Very happy.

Last edited:

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

I got mine from the same seller (luckily got mine for $850 last week, looks like they just raised the price to nearly $1000!) and also ended up with a Bullit cluster. I don't mind it much (the 180mph speedo is cool!) but have heard there's a forscan code to adjust the startup animation. Anyone have it handy?

Loving the conversion (another thanks to breeves for the excellent writeup and the baseline IPC codes as well, really helpful!)

Got everything coded in and working great.
IMG_9402.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco Premium
That error code has to do with the Adaptive Cruise Control and the cars that have a camera by the mirror if I am not mistaken. I added the Adaptive Cruise to my 2016 and had that error before. Need to fix the asbuilt code to get it cleared.
Did you find a specific forum or anything to for the ACC installation, or did you just use this one? (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/diy-adaptive-cruise-control-im-looking-for-info.99458/)

Was looking at installing it, and just want backup locations incase something isn't clear about the install, since it's going to be my first hardware addition instead of just a swap like this display or anything small like that.
Sponsored