Sponsored

DIY Adaptive Cruise Control (I'm Looking for info)

TommyCardello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Hi!

I was looking for a thread related to adaptive cruise control installation on Mustang AFTER you already bought a car.
I haven't found anyone actually doing it, only discussions about the worthiness of this feature when you buy a new car.
I've bought a used car, so I could not add any options.

I'm trying to make a research on installation options.
Any info will be highly appreciated.

I have found a thread on F-150 forum where adaptive cruise has been installed.
Parts were around 520$. + Some reprogramming needed.
Link to that thread:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/adaptive-cruise-control-added-373799/index3/

Also, I went to a dealership, they told me Ford doesn't have installation kit for this procedure and I have to find aftermarket solution.

I guess, if someone has the service manual to 2017 Mustang with adaptive cruise installed, probably we could get part numbers.
If I could get ALL parts number I would probably try to install it.
If it possible to do it under 500-600$ it doesn't seem too bad.

What's your thought mates?
Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Yes, I think adding ACC is possible. I mentioned all the steps in this post: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2158362&postcount=10.

I ordered all parts already but still waiting for them to arrive. And the dealer will not help you... but maybe the F150 guys will.

Once I have this completed I will post a write-up in the DIY sub forum.

OP
OP
TommyCardello

TommyCardello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered all parts already but still waiting for them to arrive.
Thank you! How did you find all part numbers? I'm trying to find and can't find any.
Could you share your list?

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Just as a warning. The complete procedure is not plug&play. It is adding parts. Adding missing wiring. Change programming. And calibrating the sensor (quite simple with ForScan).

I found the parts by reading the forums, checking fordparts.com and checking the wiring diagrams...

The required parts are:
1)
Sensor
FR3Z-9E731-C

2)
Sensor Bracket and screws and nuts
FR3Z-14C022-A
W714729-S440
2x W705134-S442
2x W520822-S439

3)
Lower bumper grill
FR3B-17K945-CE
Not completely sure, but you need the base grill. All other grills have a structure where the ACC sensor sits and obstruct the sensor's "view".

4)
Head-up display
FR3Z-19G468-A

5)
Defroster grille
HR3Z-63044E82-AA
Maybe the existing grille can be "adjusted" to fit with the HUD.

6)
Pigtail for HUD (could be already there, worth checking out)
WPT-983
6U2Z-14S411-SB

7)
Pigtail for ACC sensor
WPT-1342

8)
CC switch for steering wheel
FR3Z-9C888-DA

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
TommyCardello

TommyCardello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just as a warning. The complete procedure is not plug&play. It is adding parts. Adding missing wiring. Change programming. And calibrating the sensor (quite simple with ForScan).
Thank you! It's very helpful!
I realize the complexity of this procedure.

Part number helps me to make my research easier, so thank a lot.

I'll keep an eye on your thread and I'll add any additional information if I have any success.

Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Short update: BLIS installation is done. ACC is next.

Probably I will start with the HUD during the week and try to add the sensor and the wiring on the weekend.

freshjive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Short update: BLIS installation is done. ACC is next.

Probably I will start with the HUD during the week and try to add the sensor and the wiring on the weekend.
Have you made any progress?

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Knowing how we do the calibration/programming at the factories, it'd be extremely hard to do it accurately on your own. Even the dealerships aren't setup to do it.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Calibration is actually rather simple, but I agree not as simple as it seems. Nevertheless I could not get hold of the correct ABS unit to get it working. The part number of the correct version ends with a "C". I have a "A" in my car and was able to get a version "B", but no "C". I could get one new from the dealer but it is incredibly expensive.
Still working on getting the programming right...

Everything else is done and ready.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Calibration is actually rather simple, but I agree not as simple as it seems. Nevertheless I could not get hold of the correct ABS unit to get it working. The part number of the correct version ends with a "C". I have a "A" in my car and was able to get a version "B", but no "C". I could get one new from the dealer but it is incredibly expensive.
Still working on getting the programming right...

Everything else is done and ready.
Do you have any indication on what the all in cost would be for this including that "C" abs unit?

And also (I know this may be uncharted territory) if there's any indication that a similar process would work on the 18s

Thanks.

Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Do you have any indication on what the all in cost would be for this including that "C" abs unit?

And also (I know this may be uncharted territory) if there's any indication that a similar process would work on the 18s

Thanks.
It is not that expensive in the US:

1 GR3Z-2C215-D ABS Control Unit
$220.20

GR3Z-2C219-B Control Module$134.37
I have no idea about the 18s, because Ford changed the system quite a bit. Not sure if it is only upgraded parts or more.

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
I've also successfully added ACC and have all my notes if you have any questions

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I've also successfully added ACC and have all my notes if you have any questions
I have some :-)

I have the sensor installed, correctly wired, the HUD and the steering wheel switches. I did the programming, but my ACC sensor is complaining about an incompatible configuration. I was guessing, that my ABS does not provide the functionality to handle the ACC commands correctly.
Did you leave your stock ABS module? Or what else did you change?

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
I did leave my stock ABS module but I did change its code in forscan. I also purchased a used radar module which was already configured with fords IDS software at the factory whereas if you purchase them new they won't work until they're configured with IDS. Some dealerships have helped people who have done it on the F150 forum while others have not. I decided I didn't want to bother with the dealerships and bought a Ford Fusion ACC module as ford parts shares so they're all the same.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I did leave my stock ABS module but I did change its code in forscan. I also purchased a used radar module which was already configured with fords IDS software at the factory whereas if you purchase them new they won't work until they're configured with IDS. Some dealerships have helped people who have done it on the F150 forum while others have not. I decided I didn't want to bother with the dealerships and bought a Ford Fusion ACC module as ford parts shares so they're all the same.
Ok, that's interesting. Would you be willing to share your VIN and the configuration of the ABS and ACC module via PN?

I would really appreciate your support.
Sponsored