2018 Digital Cluster Installation Guide

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
Just placed my order with Sam. :) Can't wait to install it! I seriously love the Mustang digital cluster. Not so crazy about the 18 and up body style, however. Now I'll have the best of both worlds. Looking forward to having the whole thing preconfigured and plug and play right out of the box; had the discussion with Sam that I don't want to mess with Forscan at all...mostly b/c I simply don't have the time.

Thread related: I'm planning on using an oscillating multi-tool to do the cutting. It's about a foot long including the blade, but shouldn't be a problem fitting it in there w/the steering wheel removed. Also, this thread totally rocks. :cool: So much knowledge on the swap in this one thread alone, and the members helping each other out with info and tips really shows why this is the best Mustang forum out there!
FYI, I used the same type of tool(milwaukee m12 cordless) and it worked great!
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, 300mag. Good to know it worked. Did you have a problem with cutting anything behind the panel that you didn't want to cut? I Don't think there are any wires behind that panel, but want to be sure.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You are free and clear behind the plastic.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, Chef jpd. Really looking forward to the swap. As compared to something like the IM swap, this is ridiculously easy and simple. Especially since I won't have to do anything in Forscan. Plug'n'play at it's finest. :D

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
There is an air duct behind the upper cuts. There is about 3/8-1/2" space between duct and what your cutting so once you feel the oscillating blade plunge through just pull back. That why I like the oscillating blade, it doesn't cut so fast and you can control how much pressure is on the blade to slow the plunge down if that makes sense.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Yup, makes perfect sense. Thanks, 300mag. I'll be careful when cutting.

The only step in this process I'm unsure of involves the clockspring/retaining pin. From the OP: "Do not remove the clockspring retaining pin until you are ready to install the wheel."

Can someone please explain this to me? I take it the white pull tab thing visible at 12:40 in this video is the retaining pin? I guess that holds the locking spring open? The guy in the video says "You can put the pin in your old clockspring." Is that necessary if you ever want to use the old clockspring again? I will probably hold onto mine vs. selling it...at least until I'm sure the new gauges are working perfectly. I still have the stock parts for everything I've replaced, except the stock catback exhaust. That was one long, heavy, big piece...nowhere to put it except the dumpster behind Home Depot. :ninja:

Phantom24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT PP
Yes that white clip is to hold the clock spring in its neutral position. After you install the new clock spring and you are ready to reinstall the steering wheel you can pull it out and install it in your original one.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I seem to remember on the lower left you get close to the cable for the trunk release. (or maybe it was the tree controls )

Thanks, 300mag. Good to know it worked. Did you have a problem with cutting anything behind the panel that you didn't want to cut? I Don't think there are any wires behind that panel, but want to be sure.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I'm planning on using an oscillating multi-tool to do the cutting. It's about a foot long including the blade, but shouldn't be a problem fitting it in there w/the steering wheel removed.
I just used a knife with break-off blades. Did 5-8 passes at each line that needed cutting. That was super easy. No reason to over complicating things. :-)

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hmm, that would make a lot less mess than the OMT...but with my luck the box cutter would slip and I'd slice my arm open. Not that I've done anything like that before...:eek:

I just used a knife with break-off blades. Did 5-8 passes at each line that needed cutting. That was super easy. No reason to over complicating things. :-)

Sponsored

Azwakeboarder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Did just the install in my 2018 Ecoboost Premium, overall it was pretty easy. After configuring ABD (I used the baseline then changed for my options) I am getting a IPC DTC code U023A after programming. Anyone know what could be causing this DTC or how to figure it out? Everything seems to be working/functioning correctly. Thanks in advance!
20190804_084351_resized.jpg

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Did just the install in my 2018 Ecoboost Premium, overall it was pretty easy. After configuring ABD (I used the baseline then changed for my options) I am getting a IPC DTC code U023A after programming. Anyone know what could be causing this DTC or how to figure it out? Everything seems to be working/functioning correctly. Thanks in advance!
20190804_084351_resized.jpg
That error code has to do with the Adaptive Cruise Control and the cars that have a camera by the mirror if I am not mistaken. I added the Adaptive Cruise to my 2016 and had that error before. Need to fix the asbuilt code to get it cleared.
Sponsored