Sponsored

2020 GT500 vs C8 Corvette

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That sounds very definitive..It would have to be very different.
I've logged sub 4 sec 0-60 times on my 2018 Mustang GT A10 with sticky tires and 3.15 gears.
I think a base C8 could match the Z51, without spending another 10k, i.e. with the right tires, but, no one knows for sure, yet.
Too bad GM played the bait and switch game rather than giving us the real 0-60 of the base 'vette.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Too bad GM played the bait and switch game rather than giving us the real 0-60 of the base 'vette.
To quote hotlap and blaqwhole. This corvette will need special options to run the times quoted. Its not like the base car will do it! Funny how the pendulum always swings back. And hits the nitwits right in their heads.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
To quote hotlap and blaqwhole. This corvette will need special options to run the times quoted. Its not like the base car will do it! Funny how the pendulum always swings back. And hits the nitwits right in their heads.
This just sounds silly. Of course it's only the Z51 that they made the 0-60 claim on. When you see there is a track pack that adds better tires, gearing and various other tweaks that should be automatically assume. Just like the 350R is more capable than a base 350. That's still doesn't mean much. I mean you guys think the non Z51 is gonna be 5 seconds to 60 or some crap. No, it'll probably be a few tenths more which still indicates low 3 seconds, which last I heard was nothing to scoff at. Plus the Z51 pack is currently about $5k. Assuming it increases, that puts the C8 probably mid 60's when equipped with Z51 . Still sounds like a great value to me.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Bait and switch? You can't be serious?
What do you call it?
If the 0-60 of the base model is great, why not publish that along with its price?

Why give the price of one model and the performance of a different model? Because you want to make the car sound better than it really is. Get someone interested in the below 60k price and the above 60k performance.

I bet the car they showed was full of optional equipment as well - none of which is available on the under 60k model.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
What do you call it?
If the 0-60 of the base model is great, why not publish that along with its price?

Why give the price of one model and the performance of a different model? Because you want to make the car sound better than it really is. Get someone interested in the below 60k price and the above 60k performance.

I bet the car they showed was full of optional equipment as well - none of which is available on the under 60k model.
Because it's two different things. Base price is one thing, and their advertisement on the Z51 performance is something else.

@52:20 roughly he announces the performance and specifically says the Z51 can meet that performance. @54:40 or so they announce the price of the base car, specifically stating it starts under $60k.

They aren't trying to make the car sound better than it really is. They just haven't said yet what the Z51 costs. That's two different things.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yup - total bait and switch job.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
What do you call it?

The C6 and C7 were introduced exactly the same way. When C7 pricing was announced to start at $51k, no one in the world assumed that was anything other than the most basic version. But when performance was referenced, it was always in regard to the Z51 variant and that's the model they always had on display at the reveal and subsequent appearances. This is nothing new. It's only a bait and switch to the naive or someone just trying to find something to pick apart about the car. Nevermind the engineering behind this, the deviation from a decades old tried and true formula which they easily could've continued, what it must have took to convince the bean counters, the price point regardless of options? I guess they need to start announcing cars with disclaimers now when there's more than one variant so people don't get confused.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This just sounds silly. Of course it's only the Z51 that they made the 0-60 claim on. When you see there is a track pack that adds better tires, gearing and various other tweaks that should be automatically assume. Just like the 350R is more capable than a base 350. That's still doesn't mean much. I mean you guys think the non Z51 is gonna be 5 seconds to 60 or some crap. No, it'll probably be a few tenths more which still indicates low 3 seconds, which last I heard was nothing to scoff at. Plus the Z51 pack is currently about $5k. Assuming it increases, that puts the C8 probably mid 60's when equipped with Z51 . Still sounds like a great value to me.
It does sound silly. But that quote came from a Camaro forum. So what do you expect? It doesn't make any sense over there. When they try to discredit mustang times. And it's a weak arguement when used on this forum.

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
What do you call it?

Pricing is announced in about 3 weeks so we will soon find out soon and put an end to all of this useless bickering. Then start new pointless arguments about god knows what lol

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
If i was a serious buyer of either, and some ford dealer tried to added some extra costs to sticker.. I would tell them to stick it, I can already go get a faster car for less money and grab the C8

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
If i was a serious buyer of either, and some ford dealer tried to added some extra costs to sticker.. I would tell them to stick it, I can already go get a faster car for less money and grab the C8
C8 faster? Umm no.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The Corvette is a performer and always will be. No doubt. I can't wait to see what the new Z06 will bring us.

But, as far as the rear end and that interior of the C8?!!?! I'll pass. I think the rear end is ugly with those old school square Borla type exhaust tips and just the whole rear end in general is ugly to me.
The interior is just as bad. The steering wheel, in my opinion, looks stupid. That center console with all those buttons/switches is ugly too.
Now, if you if you're talking about the C7 Z06, that's a different story. I love the C7 Z06 cars.
Sponsored