Sponsored

Motor Trend Test 2020 Corvette C8, 0-60MPH in 3.17 seconds (Video)

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Nothing, other than the 0-60 time you posted is accurate. Its 600 pounds lighter than the GT500. It did 11.1@123 in the 1/4. You don't know any of the numbers for the GT500, and you're fooling yourself if you think it will trap mid 130s. And where is this test where the GT500 is 5 seconds faster around Grattan than the C8? Post a link. You must have set that time for Ford because they have not let any publications test the car in any manner. You have to keep lying to yourself about numbers and stats to feel better, go for it, but don't post BS on the forum that is blatantly false just to skew things into your favor.

And you think the GT500 will beat the Viper ACR around Grattan? lol the ACR makes double the downforce at 150mph then the GT500 makes at 180. At 177mph the ACR makes 1700 pounds, 3x what the GT500 makes. 1,000 pound lighter car, with better tires. Yeah, ok.
He is just throwing a bait out there. Ford never posted numbers. The GT500 has not been tested yet and who would believe a 4200 lbs car beating a 3300 lbs race car around a road coarse. Ford made a statement in an interview about people wanting a road coarse warrior should pursue a GT350R knowing the weight difference (4200 vs 3630 lbs) and physics on the GT500.

The Carbon Fiber Track version should be a good all around track car but even then you are spending 90 plus thousand without ADM. At that point you don’t have back seats or anything and might as well get a 1lt C8 ZO6 or even a lightly used C7 ZR1.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Playing around I priced out a 1LT how I would order it (Z51 / FE4 / comp. seats) and it came out to 67.6k. Priced out the same in 2LT, 76.7k. 9k extra, but we all know there will be rebates out the wazoo on these things in a year or so.

The only thing I would really miss on the 1LT would be the HUD. I was happy when I found a base SS with the only option being the 1LE package. They need something similar for the C8. Just give me the Z51, fancy shocks, HUD, and competition seats.

Yeah. https://www.motortrend.com/news/new-corvette-c8-costs-way-more-than-the-c7/

Top spec C8 is about 106k, C7 stingray 96k.
Wow, $106k for an optioned up BASE model. Imagine what the Z06 and ZR1 models will cost. Whew!

I'm with you on the way to buy it - live without things as much as possible. I almost feel like GM took content out of the car to make it so very few people will actually pay $60k for one. That kind of sucks. I would wait a few years and see how they hold up. I expect there will be a few niggles for GM to fix on the car. Prices will probably go up, but there will be some discounting in a few years that will compensate to a degree.

I'm still holding out hope that eventually they will put a manual transmission in it. Maybe it will wait until the C9, who knows?

Even though some people don't want to hear it: According to the review numbers the C8 Z51 (495 hp) for $67k will indeed beat the C7 Z06 (650 hp) in absolutely every measurement besides a veeeeery long straigth line. And the C7 Z06 was already an impressive sportscar.
Remember that the electronic brakes on the C8 don't work very well. Not as well as the previous base model, even. For acceleration, the C8 models win in short and low speed stuff but once you get up to speed the Z06 will whip it. I think the Z06 is slightly quicker in the 1/4 mile, for instance.

I expect the GT500 will out-brake the C8 by so much it won't even be a contest on track.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Look above what I wrote. Its Game Over for the 4 vs 2 seater argument. Including the ZL1 1LE.
No reason you could not put seats back in the stang though, the space is still there.

And the claim to fame for the 500's weight is you can beat on it 10/10ths on the track, for a full tank of gas, then go do it again. Any word on the C8, any package, being able to do that?

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Acceleration is one thing but man, expecting a 4200 lbs car out braking a 3600 lbs car is a little bit too much. GM will most likely tune the ABS system moving forward. Regarding the braking performance a GT350 R stopped from 60 mph to 0 in 102 ft. 97 ft for the mid engine C8 is not bad at all.

When it comes to braking performance what people don't realize is that the front brakes bite harder and does most of the stopping, on a front engine car with weight distribution skewed to the front, this becomes an advantage. The braking becomes tricky when the engine is in the back of the car with the weight distribution skewed to the rear. The fronts will try to bite but the rear weight of the car act against the brakes not helping at all. I am sure a fine abs tuning will help the issue.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, $106k for an optioned up BASE model. Imagine what the Z06 and ZR1 models will cost. Whew!
Well, the 100k CFTP GT500 is an optioned up 25k BASE Mustang so...? C7 Z06 starts at 81k, C7 ZR1 at 123k. I would imagine the C8 pricing will be 5-10k ahead of that.

And the claim to fame for the 500's weight is you can beat on it 10/10ths on the track, for a full tank of gas, then go do it again. Any word on the C8, any package, being able to do that?
Don't remember which review, but one of them mentioned no issues with heat. I think all the track tests were done with the Z51 that has the extra cooling. After the C7 Z06 debacle I don't think GM is going to let that happen again.

I hope Ford got the cooling for the GT500 right.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Me, 1LT Z51

65k, nothing currently can touch it for that price or performance, GM hit a Homerun but I wouldn’t pay sticker

So it will have to wait til the whoopla wears down

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, the 100k CFTP GT500 is an optioned up 25k BASE Mustang so...? C7 Z06 starts at 81k, C7 ZR1 at 123k. I would imagine the C8 pricing will be 5-10k ahead of that.

Don't remember which review, but one of them mentioned no issues with heat. I think all the track tests were done with the Z51 that has the extra cooling. After the C7 Z06 debacle I don't think GM is going to let that happen again.

I hope Ford got the cooling for the GT500 right.
The GT500 is a separate model than the ECOboost base Mustang. It has a lot of different equipment, bigger engine, better interior, different suspension, etc. The GT500 is comparable to the ZR1.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The GT500 is a separate model than the ECOboost base Mustang. It has a lot of different equipment, bigger engine, better interior, different suspension, etc. The GT500 is comparable to the ZR1.
Not trying to argue, just checking to see what I missed - other than the shifter being changed because of the DCT, how is the GT500 interior different/improved over other Mustangs?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
other than the shifter being changed because of the DCT, how is the GT500 interior different/improved over other Mustangs?
It looks exactly the same as an EB premium (aka uses leather) and doesn't have a cloth-seat option. If you were blind-folded and put into an EB 201A (or GT 401A or Bullitt) and a GT500 you'd have a very hard time telling them apart.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
It looks exactly the same as an EB premium (aka uses leather) and doesn't have a cloth-seat option. If you were blind-folded and put into an EB 201A (or GT 401A or Bullitt) and a GT500 you'd have a very hard time telling them apart.
They release 1 Carroll Shelby fart that has been painstakingly preserved into the interior of each GT500 before it rolls off the line.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Not trying to argue, just checking to see what I missed - other than the shifter being changed because of the DCT, how is the GT500 interior different/improved over other Mustangs?
Cobra emblems, brushed bronze ilo of chrome in the entire interior, GT350/500 Unique Seats (model applique) or Recaros, updated dash trim, unique dash and Sync screen startups, VIN Number on dash din, gauge pod differences, steering wheel, etc.

There's quite a bit. They aren't the same. My gf has a GT Premium and my GT350 are very different on the inside.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Blindfolded I might not be able to tell the difference between a C5 and C8 interior or a 1LT vs. 3LT.

The base GT500 gets an interior similar to the best interior available on the lower models.

C8 you pay $60k and get the crap interior.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They release 1 Carroll Shelby fart that has been painstakingly preserved into the interior of each GT500 before it rolls off the line.
Wouldn't it be great if that were possible? Too bad there's no similar Le Mans winning - car builder - etc. that is a famous Chevy guy.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't it be great if that were possible? Too bad there's no similar Le Mans winning - car builder - etc. that is a famous Chevy guy.
  • 107: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 99 in North America and eight at Le Mans.
The Vette has more racing heritage than any Ford. And nah, no need to stamp some old guys name on the car just to make other old guys feel special.
Sponsored