Sponsored

2020 GT500 vs C8 Corvette

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
In my OPINION, the C8 just put all sports cars, muscle cars, and supercars into check. I have never considered a vette, even knowing the C7 ZO6 was quite the performer, but with the C8 you would have to be an idiot for not considering it. Baring some engineering disaster or production issue the C8 will redefine value and performance. This is coming from a fully committed GT500 buyer.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for the GT350 owners that are interested in a GT500. Why not sc your 350? Fantastic engine, real Tremec 6 speed, magneride, etc. You would have the best of all worlds wouldn't you? And very unique with the cross plane crankshaft and forged pistons.
Because they don't want to ruin it.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The Corvettes I've been in have been too low to easily get in and out of. Mid engine means 2 seater. So they are different things all together in my opinion. I would think the Vette will take sales from imports much more than the GT500.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I am seriously considering shifting to a C8 as a another vehicle versus a GT500. I may still buy a GT500. I’m not ruling it out, but Chevy changed the game. Not only with the pricing, design, etc.

A fully optioned Z51, by all legit guesstimates is going to be around $75K. That’s a game changer.

I love the CFTP. Just not sure I’m willing to pay the additional $25K over my R for one.

Ford jacked it up by selling the 500 alongside the 350 in my opinion. They could’ve kept things at more of a price parody versus the up charge on the 500 that comes into play by selling both along side each other. It also reduces the uniqueness each model brings to the table.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I have a question for the GT350 owners that are interested in a GT500. Why not sc your 350? Fantastic engine, real Tremec 6 speed, magneride, etc. You would have the best of all worlds wouldn't you? And very unique with the cross plane crankshaft and forged pistons.
For one thing, it will not be very reliable and it adds almost no value to the car.
I do wish the GT500 had a manual option though.

Sponsored

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
The C8 is not going to affect GT500 pricing.
I agree. Much in the same way the C7 Grand Sport and ZL1 did not impact the ADM's on GT350's in 2016 (at least in Chicago).

The well-deserved hype around the C8 will settle down. At some point soon the magazines will get their hands on test GT500's. Assuming it is the performer we are all expecting it to be the GT500 hype will ramp back up just in time for the dealerships to start getting them on their lots.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The well-deserved hype around the C8 will settle down.
And with anything, a lot of people want one. That doesn't mean they'll get one. Hype is exactly that. Lots of talk, little action generally speaking. I'm sure a lot of people got even OVERLY excited and are now having second thoughts.

Things like "if I could trade in my E92, I would totally get one!"
is not
"I bought a C8 and it's on the truck as we speak."

My current position is as long as no major bugs come up, I will be a buyer. I won't be able to get one until next year anyway at the earliest so this works out well.

OP
OP
oRACERED5.0o

oRACERED5.0o

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pedro
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I love Mustang's and the Ford brand, but it doesn't help that Ford over priced the GT500 and Chevrolet is giving us a C8 "bargain". For the same money you can have a C8 and strap on a blower compared to a GT500 after the adms.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I love Mustang's and the Ford brand, but it doesn't help that Ford over priced the GT500 and Chevrolet is giving us a C8 "bargain". For the same money you can have a C8 and strap on a blower compared to a GT500 after the adms.
I am not even sure you need a blower on the C8 to compete....maybe in straightline drag, but i venture to guess the C8 can hang in all arenas.....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And with anything, a lot of people want one. That doesn't mean they'll get one. Hype is exactly that. Lots of talk, little action generally speaking. I'm sure a lot of people got even OVERLY excited and are now having second thoughts.

Things like "if I could trade in my E92, I would totally get one!"
is not
"I bought a C8 and it's on the truck as we speak."

My current position is as long as no major bugs come up, I will be a buyer. I won't be able to get one until next year anyway at the earliest so this works out well.
I agree. I got excited about it and I'm still interested, but I'm not a buyer unless some things change.

- no manual, no purchase for me.
-I still hate the lift off roof and hope it's better than the version in the C7. Not sure I will get over this one.
-Direct injection only, no dual injection in a flag ship product? Why cheap out like this?

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree. I got excited about it and I'm still interested, but I'm not a buyer unless some things change.

- no manual, no purchase for me.
-I still hate the lift off roof and hope it's better than the version in the C7. Not sure I will get over this one.
-Direct injection only, no dual injection in a flag ship product? Why cheap out like this?
There won't be a manual. In the unveiling Chevy showed that the center console area is actually a support beam brace that runs the entire length of the middle of the chassis. No ability to run linkage through that and the transmission is behind the engine, not in front of it which would make shift linkage even more of a challenge. The C8 doesn't use a tub configuration like a lot of ME cars do. They did this to get even more weight lower than a tub design and structural rigidity. The new chassis is 50% stiffer than the C7 and that's a huge accomplishment.

It looks like it's better at first glance anyway. Originally I thought the car wasn't even going to have it. Then I saw some pics and was like "oh......"

Dual vs DI is a bit misleading on the benefits of Dual Injection. There have been several Gen 3 Yotes ripped open that have displayed the same carbon buildups as DI. Lucky for some of us though, track use and running the engine hard burns quite a bit of that off so it's a win win there if you're hitting the track. Not sure if cheap out is an appropriate description because Ferrari has been slangin' direct injected since the 458 and I don't know if a single one of them uses port + direct. There was a time when I thought DI would be scary with carbon buildup and all that but GM started using DI in the 5.3L since 2014 and there are work trucks out there with 200K that are still running just fine. So while the principle of DI carbon build up makes sense, I really don't know what to make of that other than maybe it's been overblown.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
I was pleasantly surprised that as a male near 40 with a fairly clean driving record (1 accident 8 years ago with no tickets) the GT500 is projected to cost me about $700/yr when bundled with my other insurance. This is in Minnesota which has some of the highest insurance rates due to no fault insurance and high PIP caps.

I can’t imagine what things would be like in Michigan though. I used to pay over a thousand per year for my pieces of shit for just basic coverage.
I was surprised on the gt350 insurance as well. Being 27 with a few speeding tickets about 5 years ago I'm only paying I think $140 a month. Granted it isn't my primary car.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I’m totally impressed with the C8. I knew it would be great, looks much better than I expected. Below is my build on the Configurator. Z51 with high rise wing in Cyber Matrix Gray. Pure sex. Unless you are a die hard Mustang fanatic, I’m not sure why anyone would pay ADM on a GT500 now. Ford should have realeased the 500 2yrs ago. This is just like when Ford released the Trinity GT500 right after GM announced the 580hp ZL1. Karma’s a bitch.

upload_2019-7-22_21-28-55.jpeg

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The c8 body is just way to busy for me give me the GT500 all day any day and twice on sunday.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There won't be a manual. In the unveiling Chevy showed that the center console area is actually a support beam brace that runs the entire length of the middle of the chassis. No ability to run linkage through that and the transmission is behind the engine, not in front of it which would make shift linkage even more of a challenge. The C8 doesn't use a tub configuration like a lot of ME cars do. They did this to get even more weight lower than a tub design and structural rigidity. The new chassis is 50% stiffer than the C7 and that's a huge accomplishment.
Uh huh, 50% stiffer. But yet they had trouble with the glass breaking during testing. I never trust those chassis stiffness marketing statements, because they never provide the test details.

I heard/read all the same things as you on the manual transmission. Obviously car designs can and will change over time. GM will have to decide whether losing a certain percentage of buyers is worth it or not. I know I'm not alone in this. I'd rather have my C5 than any new car with a DCT.
Sponsored