GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I think anyone who got a new engine in 2019 got the R engine, regardless if the car was an R or not. It would be interesting to see when this trend started. I had mine replaced In January.
Every 2019 GT350 I've seen has had a R engine.
Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
It has been confirmed that the Voodoo has inherited changes from the 5.2 Predator Engine Program. The Gen 2 5.2 changes have started with MY2019 GT350 (Voodoo) Production.

Confirmed Changes

Overall
  • The Gen 2 5.2 can withstand 12 psi of sustained boost
Recast Block
  • Longer head bolts (Gen 1 Coyote specifications)
  • Additional cylinder bore material surrounding the water jackets
  • Added cast in brace on intake side of cylinder bore
  • Changed breathing port orientation to better equalize block gasses and minimize windage
Recast Cylinder Head
  • Additional material around water jackets for better sealing
  • Stronger valve seat material to handle increased heat
  • 4 Layer MLS head gasket

Unconfirmed Changes

• GT350R timing chains
  • GT350R lash adjusters
  • Improved I-beam connecting rods
  • Copper-lead bearings
  • Resized piston-cooling jets
  • Forged crank sprocket
  • Improved oil pump with larger stronger gerotor gear
  • Upgraded exhaust valve seals
  • Higher exhaust valve spring rate
Ouch ... that’s a lot of nice upgrades for those who are thinking of adding boost.
I am not sure he was saying the I beams or the 4 layer MLS gaskets would transfer but if they do .... that’s one hell of an upgrade especially since I know the rods may the weaker part of the Gen 1 Voodoo.

I have a 2016 tech pack with a whipple and ended up building my motor :(bent rods )

Darton sleeves
Diamond pistons /rings
Manley H rods -Voodoo specific /ARP 2000 bolts
Upgraded bearings
PAC valve springs /new Valve seats

I am pretty sure when Ford racing was selling the Gen 1 they advertised the block as having additional material around the water jackets and they block already had the cast in brace in the intake side of the cylinder bore

nodonut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
1966 A code Fastback GT (wish I still had it), 2014 Explorer Sport, 2013 FLHTK Harley, 2019 GT350.
Ouch ... that’s a lot of nice upgrades for those who are thinking of adding boost.
I am not sure he was saying the I beams or the 4 layer MLS gaskets would transfer but if they do .... that’s one hell of an upgrade especially since I know the rods may the weaker part of the Gen 1 Voodoo.

I have a 2016 tech pack with a whipple and ended up building my motor :(bent rods )

Darton sleeves
Diamond pistons /rings
Manley H rods -Voodoo specific /ARP 2000 bolts
Upgraded bearings
PAC valve springs /new Valve seats

I am pretty sure when Ford racing was selling the Gen 1 they advertised the block as having additional material around the water jackets and they block already had the cast in brace in the intake side of the cylinder bore
I want to say with full disclosure that I am not a mechanic and I am not an engineer. However, I was told the GT350 Voodoo engine was not built for a supercharger BECAUSE of the FPC. The FPC is not built to handle the extra boost/pressure of the SC. Although the GT500 and the GT350 are now sharing the same engine block, the GT500 is using the CPC and CAN handle the boost/pressure produced by the SC, while the GT350 has the FPC and should not have a SC installed.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Hmmm did you stay at a Holiday Inn recently?

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
I want to say with full disclosure that I am not a mechanic and I am not an engineer. However, I was told the GT350 Voodoo engine was not built for a supercharger BECAUSE of the FPC. The FPC is not built to handle the extra boost/pressure of the SC. Although the GT500 and the GT350 are now sharing the same engine block, the GT500 is using the CPC and CAN handle the boost/pressure produced by the SC, while the GT350 has the FPC and should not have a SC installed.

Yeah it's built for twin twin scroll turbos... since it's one of the few V8 engines that can actually split pulses right..... :rockon::cwl:

Ohh and i am a mechanic and engineer but this is a b.s. statement regardless

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
It has been confirmed that the Voodoo has inherited changes from the 5.2 Predator Engine Program. The Gen 2 5.2 changes have started with MY2019 GT350 (Voodoo) Production.

Confirmed Changes

Overall
  • The Gen 2 5.2 can withstand 12 psi of sustained boost
Recast Block
  • Longer head bolts (Gen 1 Coyote specifications)
  • Additional cylinder bore material surrounding the water jackets
  • Added cast in brace on intake side of cylinder bore
  • Changed breathing port orientation to better equalize block gasses and minimize windage
Recast Cylinder Head
  • Additional material around water jackets for better sealing
  • Stronger valve seat material to handle increased heat
  • 4 Layer MLS head gasket

Unconfirmed Changes

• GT350R timing chains
  • GT350R lash adjusters
  • Improved I-beam connecting rods
  • Copper-lead bearings
  • Resized piston-cooling jets
  • Forged crank sprocket
  • Improved oil pump with larger stronger gerotor gear
  • Upgraded exhaust valve seals
  • Higher exhaust valve spring rate

That some what misleading the ability to sustain boost is quite often a function of compression ratio and piston / rods. The GT500 and the GT350 will not have the same pistons/rods (maybe rods?).

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
so can anyone confirm if the 2019 voodoo has better OPGs and sprockets, is there any reason to upgrade to the boundary or MMR units if going to FI

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
So, are you tearing down your old engine ?
My 1st replacement engine after 100 miles (2019 GT350R spec) went due to overheating and crank wobble. I'm working to pay the core charge for it as I received authorization from Ford Service. It is up to the Service Manager to approve it now.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Good luck, I don't think anyone has been able to get their engine back after a replacement was given...

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Good luck, I don't think anyone has been able to get their engine back after a replacement was given...
I've found someone who has. I've fought tooth and nail, approval by Ford Service Corporate is a solid path. Just need the service manager to make it happen.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 1st replacement engine after 100 miles (2019 GT350R spec) went due to overheating and crank wobble. I'm working to pay the core charge for it as I received authorization from Ford Service. It is up to the Service Manager to approve it now.
So are you on your second replacement engine now ?

Dibs on the block if you want to sell it (and it’s a gen 2 ) ....if it’s still good .

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Yep, they are about to begin the process of throwing in my 2nd replacement engine.

I'll be keeping the 19 GT350R engine to build, looking at a twin twin-scroll turbo setup.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, they are about to begin the process of throwing in my 2nd replacement engine.

I'll be keeping the 19 GT350R engine to build, looking at a twin twin-scroll turbo setup.
That’s a great plan .
I just had my own motor rebuilt and I have a complete stock engine I am keeping in case I wanted to go back to NA .

I have another “spare” rotating assembly I was going to use to build a “spare “ short block .

I have an engine builder who has a supply of Gen I block and was going to build me the short block (reusing the pistons but upgrading the rods) but he just jacked up the price of the block from $1500 to $2000.

I would prefer to use a Gen 2 or 3 block if I can get one for reasonable price .
Sponsored