OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I did. Mine had low miles and was in perfect condition.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
No, ordered from Modern Driveline as they were the only ones able to order the QA1 driveshaft which was a significant up-charge and something I specifically wanted. QA1 wouldn’t even let me order it on my own for some reason not very clear other than ‘we don’t offer it’. The Bowler harness is just included as part of their kit.
Price was right around $5800 for everything not including the clutch.
Talking with MDL now to put a package together for me. I'm going with the 2.97 first gear. Thanks again for this thread, I keep coming back to it and finally convinced myself to pull the trigger.

Regarding cost, the "kit" from MDL is advertised at $3700 and you said the QA1 driveshaft was $1450, what else did you add to get to $5800?

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I expect you’ll love the transmission. The gear choice is always a personal choice and those friends that have driven mine would select the same minus one who prefers 1/4 mile runs. Others choose the 2.97 because of current differential gears taller than 3:73’s which I stress is the minimum you’d want going with a 2.66 first gear.
I expect my additional charges had to do with clutch kit and MGW additions.

Let us know how the install goes and the results. Don’t hesitate to reach out if any questions come to mind.

Sponsored

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Well mines installed now! Techs are going to call bowler on monday as they couldn't get it to connect. But reverse and everything else works. Have rev hanging issue so trying to locate a local tuner. Two things we found out during the process is that for the '18s the slave cylinder is almost half the length of the 15-17s. So a 15-17 slave cylinder was needed. Another thing is that on the 18's they changed the flange on the differential to the old automatic one. So we had to get a new one from ford to fit the drive shaft. It's about 3.5mm diamete difference between an auto and manual drive shaft. Who would've known.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I expect you’ll love the transmission. The gear choice is always a personal choice and those friends that have driven mine would select the same minus one who prefers 1/4 mile runs. Others choose the 2.97 because of current differential gears taller than 3:73’s which I stress is the minimum you’d want going with a 2.66 first gear.
I expect my additional charges had to do with clutch kit and MGW additions.

Let us know how the install goes and the results. Don’t hesitate to reach out if any questions come to mind.
Okay so your cost included the clutch, that explains it. I'll hopefully hear back from MDL this week.

Well mines installed now! Techs are going to call bowler on monday as they couldn't get it to connect. But reverse and everything else works. Have rev hanging issue so trying to locate a local tuner. Two things we found out during the process is that for the '18s the slave cylinder is almost half the length of the 15-17s. So a 15-17 slave cylinder was needed. Another thing is that on the 18's they changed the flange on the differential to the old automatic one. So we had to get a new one from ford to fit the drive shaft. It's about 3.5mm diamete difference between an auto and manual drive shaft. Who would've known.
I thought this swap required an S197 slave cylinder and throwout bearing, but that may be dependent on what clutch you're running. The 18s use a dual disc clutch, right? The Tremec is a 26 spline input shaft, does that work with the 18-up clutch? I thought all the MT-82s used a 23 spline input shaft.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Okay so your cost included the clutch, that explains it. I'll hopefully hear back from MDL this week.

I thought this swap required an S197 slave cylinder and throwout bearing, but that may be dependent on what clutch you're running. The 18s use a dual disc clutch, right? The Tremec is a 26 spline input shaft, does that work with the 18-up clutch? I thought all the MT-82s used a 23 spline input shaft.
If your sig is correct , 2016, you should be fine. 2015 here and cost is dependent on what you want to do and what you have to sell after the swap.
I went with Calmer built TR6060, had the RXT which I sent to have re-spline, went with a MGW for a GT500 (any GT500 shifter will work) used stock TB and slave cylinder that came on my car, DSS CF custom driveshaft, ...had a Aluminum Driveshaft for MT82 to sell, MGW for a MT82 to sell and two broken MT82's to sell....by the end of it I had about 5k into the swap. It has been totally worth it IMO. If you get a cluth for a MT82 and re-spline then the stock TB works. If you get a clutch for a GT500 then you need the longer GT500 TB.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav

Yes, I tried to give an overall price on what my whole project cost. The clutch kit and MGW were separate purchases from the Magnum XL kit. I also ordered 4 more qts of trans oil so I had it on hand after changing it 500 miles in.

None of the S197 and S550 models have a 26 spline. You either need a whole kit or get new or current discs resplined for it.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Good to hear you got it in and that’s a strange situation about the harness. Hope you got that all worked out.

A tune, usually upon request, can remove rev intro and rev hang. Both of mine have been removed by Lund.

Thanks for bringing up the changes in regard to adding the Magnum XL to the 18 and up models. The thickness of the dual mass flywheel makes sense at the shortening of the slave. Other than cost savings, I had no idea about the pinion flange being the same now for the 18 and up models also; really good to know.

Sponsored

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Good to hear you got it in and that’s a strange situation about the harness. Hope you got that all worked out.

A tune, usually upon request, can remove rev intro and rev hang. Both of mine have been removed by Lund.

Thanks for bringing up the changes in regard to adding the Magnum XL to the 18 and up models. The thickness of the dual mass flywheel makes sense at the shortening of the slave. Other than cost savings, I had no idea about the pinion flange being the same now for the 18 and up models also; really good to know.

So every post I've looked at for the rev hanging issue says the rev's will stay still stay. Example 1: shifting from 2-3, push in the clutch and revs stay 2500 rpm.
I have that issue but I've also experienced where when I engage the clutch the RPMs will rise. Example 2: Push clutch pedal, engine revs from 2500-3000 rpm on its own. Seems to happen only at 35+ MPH.

Did you only have one of those issues or both? Trying to figure out if it's something installed wrong, or if it's just the tune issue. I also need to do a crank position relearn, but my little trip around the block felt REALLY good compared to the MT-82.

Yeah, those two thing's really got us. You learn a lot being the guinea pig with the new car haha! The issue with the harness is that the software wasn't update for the new iphone software. Used a neighbors phone and it was fine

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
The only time I ever noticed rev intro would be sitting at a stoplight at idle and then press the clutch in only. I would never notice it upshifting. That no longer exists.
Also at no rpm do I get rev hang. Any speed, any rpm if I push the clutch in the revs start lowering immediately.

I’m sure you’ll love the transmission endlessly. Anyone that drives my car wants one.

Yes being the guinea pig sucks; done that plenty of times to myself.

Strange about the software. I’ve always used my phone with the newest software including betas.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Total cost is coming in right around $7k for the Tremec trans kit (TUKT12021), McLeod RST clutch and billet steel flywheel, QA1 driveshaft, Bowler harness, MGW shifter, and misc hardware. The only thing I'm reusing is the OE slave cylinder and TO bearing.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Total cost is coming in right around $7k for the Tremec trans kit (TUKT12021), McLeod RST clutch and billet steel flywheel, QA1 driveshaft, Bowler harness, MGW shifter, and misc hardware. The only thing I'm reusing is the OE slave cylinder and TO bearing.
Would you happen to have to the part number on the QA1 driveshaft?

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Last edited: