Sponsored

Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

mlbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium PP
Seriously can't thank you enough for this post, brother. I have a '15 GT PP and have had the entire kit (Spec Flywheel, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Magnum XL and 1 piece aluminum drive shaft) installed for a week - I chose the 2.97 first for the launch. The mechanic has been messing with the Abbot box for 2 days and I'm done with it. I ordered the Bowler harness (most are sold out) and overnighted that joker! Do you remember what output pulse you used so I can expedite this when I get it? Thanks again, by far the absolute best post on this I've seen - awesome write up - great pics! :rockon::clap::clap::clap:
Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Seriously can't thank you enough for this post, brother. I have a '15 GT PP and have had the entire kit (Spec Flywheel, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Magnum XL and 1 piece aluminum drive shaft) installed for a week - I chose the 2.97 first for the launch. The mechanic has been messing with the Abbot box for 2 days and I'm done with it. I ordered the Bowler harness (most are sold out) and overnighted that joker! Do you remember what output pulse you used so I can expedite this when I get it? Thanks again, by far the absolute best post on this I've seen - awesome write up - great pics! :rockon::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks for the words. Anyway you go it’s a great setup for sure. My friends that have driven it hate me because they want to go this way now also.

The output pulse you change to is 36. This is just a one page excerpt of the instructions as it deals specific to our cars but the instructions you get are easy and the app you add to your phone is simple as well. I let my tuner (Lund) adjust parameters for cruise control to work in all my gears. The Bowler harness is the best way to go.

F7A23366-1A56-4C43-81A2-6E82F7AD472B.jpeg

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hilarious.... just saw this after pming you.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
Thanx for all the info, db252, appreciated.

I am in talks with Malwood Auto in Queensland, Australia, to get my hands on a Magnum XL with 2.66/0.8/0.63 ratios. Seems he will be ready to offer me one in a couple of weeks, then I will go down this path too.

Just can’t handle the short/useless first on the MT82.

Cheers,
Beano

Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
My pleasure and hope it helps. Same exact setup I’m running gear wise. You’ll have to learn when to shift and downshift all over again. Keep us updated on your progress.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
Ha, all good, the last 13 years in Australia, I have been driving automatics. Even my FGX XR8 is an auto.....good fun with the supercharger, but when I decided to get a Mustang a few weeks ago, I was actively looking for a manual, glad to have found one....

Being in my early middle-age years, I guess learning to shift anything is relatively easy, seeing I have grown up in South Africa with top-loaders. Thoroughly enjoyed shifting like a madman with my TT Sierra with 750hp NASCAR 357cid during the mid-90’s :lol:

But now just looking for something nice and solid with taller gears, not really into the drag-racing thing any longer. Just want to have fun and enjoy the occasional squirt down the airstrip or similar....

Will keep you posted of my progress, greets from Down Under!

Last edited:

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Quick update for those that might be more visual guys... This is a simple sketch up of how I ran my wiring for this module. It follows the instructions posted above by @db252 but gives you a little cheat sheet. Please note: I chose not to use the VBPWR from the ECM because I thought it was a bad idea to supply the reverse lockout solenoid power through the ECM. Others may disagree, and I am ok with that. It is obviously a lot easier to use the power that is already down there, but I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the factory computer. I used a Bussman Add-a-Fuse to a switched 12VDC source (Fuse F38 in the engine compartment), and ran a new power wire to the RED wire on the Bowler. I then inserted the 3A fuse provided with the Bowler unit into my Add-a-Fuse opening. Please review and comment if anyone sees anything wrong. Also, I did this for my TR6060, but it applies to both transmissions.

Bowler Wiring.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the ONLY issue was the reverse lockout solenoid touching the tunnel which did bring some noise/drone into the cab
What's the clearance between the solenoid and sheet metal? Would it make sense to put a piece of high-density poly-urethane or 'sport bike race seat' material in there?

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
The clearance is zero. You'd have to wrap the solenoid before installing the transmission but whatever you would choose to use would rub right through. A friend took his solenoid off and optioned it with a different non electronic setup that was smaller. I wanted to keep mine fully functional and the only option was to make a bit more space.

Sponsored

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Hello!

Did you have to do a tune or anything to affect the rev hanging between shifts?

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
My tune from Lund removed the initiated rev when pressing on the clutch and the rev hang as well.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
It is an incredible trans. What gear setup and clutch did you end up with?