Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
So you've got the 2.66 first with a 3.73 rear, right? Do you even have to shift to second doing 0-60?
I have the 2.66 first gear and the 3.73 rear end and 28 inch tires. Yes it takes a bit of getting used to especially with the RXT clutch but once you do it is so much more usable on a car with a SC. I kept the .5 6th gear only usable on the highway but I like it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Here's a comparison to the speeds at 7500 rpm with the two tire sizes I run (305/35/20 and 305/30/20) with the smaller diameter for track. I may switch to the smaller size for street as well. You can also get the idea of what speed is based on the chart for any given rpm and gear.

IMG_2692.png

IMG_2693.png

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
awesome write up!

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Thank you for the write up. I track my car quite a bit and I have been contemplating this swap. Looking at the install, this all looks like it went in cleaner and simpler than the MT82. How is the noise levels with the Tremec? With my MT82 on a hard mount I can here quite a bit going on inside it. When I have to abandon an upshift on my car for what ever reason, you can hear the gears coasting. Given the whipple can make them accelerate a bit faster than intended lol. Does the toploader feel better? Sure looks better.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Agreed, great info in this thread, it's tipped my decision on doing this swap, so thanks again to OP.

I hate being so reliant on YouTube for video reviews of stuff like this, because it's hardly ever actually well done or good/relevant information. What I'd really love is some good in-car footage from someone's track session, or even an AutoX for that matter, and maybe some around-town. Not really a substitute for actually driving it, but at least you can get an idea of what the shift points are like.

The GT350 uses a TR-3160 and the ratios are:

1st - 3.25
2nd - 2.23
3rd - 1.61
4th - 1.24
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.63
R - 2.95

with a 3.73 rear end.

This is what's pushing me towards the 2.97 kit (TUKT12021).

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Agreed, great info in this thread, it's tipped my decision on doing this swap, so thanks again to OP.

I hate being so reliant on YouTube for video reviews of stuff like this, because it's hardly ever actually well done or good/relevant information. What I'd really love is some good in-car footage from someone's track session, or even an AutoX for that matter, and maybe some around-town. Not really a substitute for actually driving it, but at least you can get an idea of what the shift points are like.

1st - 3.25
2nd - 2.23
3rd - 1.61
4th - 1.24
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.63
R - 2.95

with a 3.73 rear end.

Keep in mind the GT350's much higher redline when comparing gear ratios and speeds per gear.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
awesome write up!
Thanks much.

Thank you for the write up. I track my car quite a bit and I have been contemplating this swap. Looking at the install, this all looks like it went in cleaner and simpler than the MT82. How is the noise levels with the Tremec? With my MT82 on a hard mount I can here quite a bit going on inside it. When I have to abandon an upshift on my car for what ever reason, you can hear the gears coasting. Given the whipple can make them accelerate a bit faster than intended lol. Does the toploader feel better? Sure looks better.
Install is so much nicer with a separate bell housing and the ONLY issue was the reverse lockout solenoid touching the tunnel which did bring some noise/drone into the cab but as you can see in the post, I fixed that issue. It is my recommendation to push that area out BEFORE the install as you’ll have uninhibited space to do it. My way after the install was not fun. I have no increased noise levels from the transmission from my mt82 and the MGW may have helped that as I never tested the stock shifter that came with Tremec which didn’t include the upper boot that seals the tunnel from the cab as shown by the pics above supplied from MGW. The supplied trans mount that comes with the kit is solid rubber and pliable which is more stable than a stock mt82 mount but not as aggressive as a poly mount. I’m sure at certain speeds you ‘might’ feel a difference but nothing that should be a bother. The MGW and direct shift top loader is just plain awesome.

1st - 3.25
2nd - 2.23
3rd - 1.61
4th - 1.24
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.63
R - 2.95

with a 3.73 rear end.

I had great difficulty in deciding between the two first gear choices. I talked to as many people I could that had experience with both setups and wanted the best comparison for my daily driving and occasional road course track days. Some loved what they had and some wished they chose differently. Most people I talked to at road course events preferred the 2.66 because of the gear spread. One had a 2.97 and did not care for the 3rd to 4th gear spread as it was pretty far apart which he felt took him out of the power band.
Obviously I chose the 2.66 and I would say that if anyone choosing to go that route, at minimum, have 3:73 rear diff gears. I’m running my track setup tire size right now which is 305/30/20 and 285/30/20 which is giving me an effective 3:79 gear ratio. First gear is still a dog out of the hole for me but I don’t care as I don’t 1/4 mile or launch my car. I really can’t express how much more enjoyable how every gear is now; so much more useful whether driving in residential/town, freeway and without doubt soon on track.
There is no wrong way to go wrong here as both setups have their positives and negatives and not by extreme levels at all.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
i did the 2.97 1st gear in my built 07 3v with vortech -heads and cams --made 735/593--8200rpm red line ---- 2.66 is a real dead first gear 03 -04 cobra came with 2.66 gearset and the car had 3.55 gears and a roots blower so they made good tq ... i think 2.97 is a much better choice and closer to factory gear set than 2.66 .
other than that this is the slickest best shifting manual transmission ever and no shifter linkage it is an internal rail shifter ..if you miss 3rd gear with this box you should not be driving a stick ..

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just an update.

The clutch has really come into really nice daily driving manners at about 750 miles since the complete install. I'd say about 85% of the time I can do first gear slips without any chatter at all and when it does happen it is very minor......I'm being extremely picky here and this is a HUGE improvement from earlier miles. I've gotten to the point where I don't even think about my starts anymore as it has just become muscle memory. On flat ground I can engage the clutch and roll without any throttle input and that's without the RPM clutch take off assist on as it is turned off with my Lund tune as well as RPM hang assist. This has proved to be really nice in traffic situations. Anything pass a first gear roll is just perfect. There is no noise at idle nor revving in neutral. I may on great occasion get a low volume 'rocks in a can' rattle when mildly accelerating from a lowish (1600-1800) RPM but that's my fault for being that low. Again I'm really surprised at the improvement and it continues to do so. I still would recommend a true dual sprung hub disc setup for the absolute best chance of near stock manners which I will try in the future as my drive clutch is unsprung and my assist clutch is sprung.

One other thing......just finished working on a friends car that still has the stock clutch and I have totally forgotten how much more effort it takes to press the stock clutch in. I let him drive my car and he couldn't believe the difference. This of course is the usual benefit of a dual disc setup.

Transmission is perfect and I'd want nothing different. First gear still makes me smile for the length of time I can stay in it and when downshifting to it around town in corners or anytime below 20 mph really. All the other gears are really spaced nicely for daily driving and aggressive efforts as well. First road course day should be in March with more to come.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Working through clutch options, and I think I've decided on a sprung hub McLeod RST or RXT with a new billet flywheel. Not finding much first hand experience with a sprung hub version of these clutches as it's sort of rare and I've only found two vendors that can do it.

Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m about to swap out for a TR6060, and I’m going to retain my sprung hub Exedy hyper twin cerametallic (new discs with 26 spline). It’s quiet and smooth. No chatter really, but it engages pretty hard and fast. I DD my car in stop and go traffic, and it’s no bother after you get used to it. I am confident the clutch will hold what I’m throwing at it. I have no experience with anything else, but I like mine enough to keep it during the swap.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hey boss, did the wiring harness come with step by step instruction? For the reverse light and camera.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes it did. In short, cut off the old reverse connector from the stock harness and splice together the two wires from the all-in-one to it. Doesn’t matter which wire to what....can’t screw it up. Everything about that all-in-one is easy.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Sweet thanks bro.
Sponsored