Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the Off-Topic section of this forum. Over 100 pages! Absolutely shocking... :giggle:

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
In case you haven’t noticed, erik427 continually makes up stuff, posts it as fact, then either says his sources are secret or acts offended that we might even ask for sources.

Well I’ll let him defend himself.

In other news, dear old dad (literally) passed his driver’s test and is good till 88. While he was in there I lamented we hadn’t looked at cars together in decades and if he failed it wouldn’t be the same as if he could still buy one and drive one. So when he passed I drove the two of us down to Starbucks for a mocha and then to the Chevy dealership to look at some Corvettes. He was not impressed. Then again he was one of you engineer guys and was always into weird cars like an original Austin Mini (probably the only one in Edmonton back then). Anyway that drama is over for two years; my sister found out he passed and was pissed off a bit as she wanted to yank his licence - screw her - that’s why I took a day off and handled this myself...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the Off-Topic section of this forum. Over 100 pages! Absolutely shocking... :giggle:

No it’s relevant still.

If not a production from Ford it can be a speciality item in the aftermarket all the way up to an outfit like Saleen for example. Or a crate engine with swap possibilities. Most here get the reason for the interest in the big block but wonder about the viability at an aftermarket shop or even a DIY project.

And still Ford is ever so coy about a so called “boring engine”. If there is nothing to see then why all the secrecy?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
They were super secret about their 250 hp 3.0 diesel in the F-150 as well. They are secret about all projects right up until they have a public release.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I for one love to celebrate Ford's new baby.....

But it does appear that there are not many DIY people on this forum.
Installing a air intake tube with a filter is about it.......
Other than that, the credit card comes out and somebody else does it.

This 7.3 is a game changer that Ford has been needing since 1996.

TMeyer is now offering a Boss 351 style SBF that can be pushed to 480cid.
Sounds like a good alternative to what's offered in the S550.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Designed by Peugeot might be the reason.......?
The base engine, a long time ago, yeah. Ford's engineers spent a long time and a lot of hours designing and developing it. It's a very different engine from the JLR one. Nice headline surfing.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Oh, and what do you work on, Mr. Fix it?

Ever done a supercharger install, or even a complete manifold+rails+intake install? Ever done a full powertrain drop? Ever replaced almost every part of the OEM suspension? Ever swung a rear axle? Swapped brake calipers, lines and master cylinder? Shall I keep going?

Swapping in an engine that doesn't fit is more than even most advanced DIYers have done, and I'm guessing a whole helluva lot more than you've ever done. Anyone who has ever designed anything or turned wrenches for real is telling you that you are full of shit when it comes to putting this engine in, regardless of of whether or not it makes sense (it doesn't).

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think we are going to have to wait until SEMA to find out how feasible putting a 7.3 liter V8 into a Mustang will be. Ford performance needs a new design engine to replace the old pushrod engines they supply. I think Ford motor company is going show what the capabilities of the new 7.3 liter will be. I look for Ford to use performance as a way to promote the 7.3 liter and generate interest in it. The 7.3 liter could be a game changer for Ford. Thirty or so years ago , Ford was the first company to share their engine computer codes with the aftermarket to allow manufacturers to make performance products for the Mustang. Now that Ford has a state of the art pushrod engine, I look for Ford to assist the aftermarket companies to promote performance enhancing parts for the 7.3 liter engine.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
They were super secret about their 250 hp 3.0 diesel in the F-150 as well. They are secret about all projects right up until they have a public release.
Dat was one of my projects. I started working on it in Jan 2016. It was a smart decision to take a proven EU engine and adapt to the F150.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Designed by Peugeot might be the reason.......?
Wut? The engine was based on the JLR 3.0L. The peugeot base was designed in 1999, and much was changed over the last 2 decades.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

A stupider comment has never been made on this forum...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The base engine, a long time ago, yeah. Ford's engineers spent a long time and a lot of hours designing and developing it. It's a very different engine from the JLR one. Nice headline surfing.
I don't think the JLR engine has much of the Peugeot design left in it. Maybe some basics with the block, but there are about 20 years between the first Lion engine and what we have today.
BTW, it's no surprise that the Lion engine is DOHC 4V. ;)

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Now that Ford has a state of the art pushrod engine, I look for Ford to assist the aftermarket companies to promote performance enhancing parts for the 7.3 liter engine.
In trucks...
Sponsored