Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Dat was one of my projects. I started working on it in Jan 2016. It was a smart decision to take a proven EU engine and adapt to the F150.
And I worked on it in 14 and 15.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...This 7.3 is a game changer ....
I've asked before...how is it significantly different or better than the LS7 that came out, what, 13 years ago? How could something be a "game changer" that doesn't introduce anything that hasn't been done before except +18 cid?

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Ford has been super secret about everything lately. They literally wait until last possible moment to reveal just about anything when it comes to power figures, EPA estimates all that stuff.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has been super secret about everything lately. They literally wait until last possible moment to reveal just about anything when it comes to power figures, EPA estimates all that stuff.
They have to. They're under the gun from a shareholders/analyst perspective and can't afford any competitive info slip out.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What’s the goal with this thread?

500 pages?
100k views?
20k responses?
Keep it in the top 10 General posts for eternity?

A 7.3 in a Mustang isn’t happening, there’s nothing to back it up from a Ford prototype, engineering or design standpoint.

Now if ya really want to feel the road, hear the exhaust in your face and have genuine classic HP torque, I recommend the model below:
upload_2019-4-26_9-22-39.jpeg

:wink:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
They have to. They're under the gun from a shareholders/analyst perspective and can't afford any competitive info slip out.
Exactly. The point being....Ford not releasing detailed info on the 7.3 at this time is NOT an indicator of something exciting coming, like a performance or Mustang variant.

Some folks seem to think that every bit of information somehow indicates a performance 7.3 Mustang.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
What’s the goal with this thread?

500 pages?
100k views?
20k responses?
Keep it in the top 10 General posts for eternity?

A 7.3 in a Mustang isn’t happening, there’s nothing to back it up from a Ford prototype, engineering or design standpoint.

Now if ya really want to feel the road, hear the exhaust in your face and have genuine classic HP torque, I recommend the model below:
upload_2019-4-26_9-22-39.jpeg

:wink:

The heart wants what it wants...

A big block option for the Mustang would be popular! Don’t go by replies here. At the start anyone who remotely was interested was immediately pounced on and brow beaten into submission. Only those immune to peer pressure stood by their guns.

Ford knew what would happen and that is why at the press release they addressed the idea and pointed to the aftermarket. It would not surprise me in the least if the aftermarket was already working on it. A big bock version with quiet support from Ford - Why not? It helps the branding and Big Blocks are a part of the Mustang lore.

As for this thread? Expect it to fall off page one but get resurrected when new information comes out. Then it either becomes a reality or the idea dies. But the big block idea is a real and desirable one and that is why this tread is what it is...

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But it does appear that there are not many DIY people on this forum.
Installing a air intake tube with a filter is about it.......
Other than that, the credit card comes out and somebody else does it.
That may even be true, but you're wrong if you think that everybody except you also falls into that group. I've even done an engine swap (bigger engine from one model into a smaller older model). Did everything myself except for having an inch or so taken out of the driveshaft. Everything. That was 1975, maybe 1976. I still do nearly all of my own automotive work. Once in a while, I end up cobbling together some "tool" to get the job done.

This 7.3 is a game changer that Ford has been needing since 1996.
The only reason you can even begin to think that is because the modular series was so compromised from the get-go, for reasons that had nothing to do with performance in any rpm band.

TMeyer is now offering a Boss 351 style SBF that can be pushed to 480cid.
Sounds like a good alternative to what's offered in the S550.
How badly undersquare is that thing? I can't see it liking 4500 fpm mean piston speed for long, so what rpm corresponds to 4000 fpm?

Norm

Sponsored

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
But it does appear that there are not many DIY people on this forum.
Installing a air intake tube with a filter is about it.......
Other than that, the credit card comes out and somebody else does it.
And it appears the Troll has come back out from under the bridge...

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Just not this big block.

This is true but at this stage of the game you have to work with what you have. And the 7.3 is an actual “in production” Ford engine! If the basics are there you can design a street legal version and put a price on it. Front heavy big blocks are the charm and character of the genre, so I don’t see this as a minus. You want the old school feel - there - you have it!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The heart wants what it wants...

A big block option for the Mustang would be popular! Don’t go by replies here. At the start anyone who remotely was interested was immediately pounced on and brow beaten into submission. Only those immune to peer pressure stood by their guns.

Ford knew what would happen and that is why at the press release they addressed the idea and pointed to the aftermarket. It would not surprise me in the least if the aftermarket was already working on it. A big bock version with quiet support from Ford - Why not? It helps the branding and Big Blocks are a part of the Mustang lore.

As for this thread? Expect it to fall off page one but get resurrected when new information comes out. Then it either becomes a reality or the idea dies. But the big block idea is a real and desirable one and that is why this tread is what it is...
I don't agree here. 90+% of consumers don't buy based on size of the engine. They look at HP, torque, fuel economy, and performance numbers. Even with the small block, we are able to keep up with or beat the Camaro and its larger block engine. Large engines are slowly going away. Better get used to it.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don't agree here. 90+% of consumers don't buy based on size of the engine. They look at HP, torque, fuel economy, and performance numbers. Even with the small block, we are able to keep up with or beat the Camaro and its larger block engine. Large engines are slowly going away. Better get used to it.
Exactly what I've been trying to say. 100% agree. I do not know what's not to like.
Sponsored