Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I get it but who is driving down to Costco in that set up.
Anyone that bought a 15-17 GT w/ performance pack.
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
The best reason to do this is simply because it makes absolutely zero sense.

If you've BTDT with everything that makes sense, its only the unknown that awaits.

Last edited:

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
LS swap it. $900 junk yard special. Nitrous. You have yourself a 800 hp car

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If his reasoning was....it would be unique and attract attention at car shows, plus I have unlimited money, time, and staff, I would not take exception.

But his logic is low-end torque (5.0 is better, supercharged 5.0 better still), it’s simple (except it’s not), and it won’t be that expensive (flat wrong).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The best reason to do this is simply be because it makes absolutely zero sense.

If you've BTDT with everything that makes sense, its only the unknown that awaits.

The unknown is the spice of life. Frankly I gave up on the big block and then this happened. I’m actually amazed at how few have jumped on board here. I’m still keen to see this setup in the flesh though.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If his reasoning was....it would be unique and attract attention at car shows, plus I have unlimited money, time, and staff, I would not take exception.

But his logic is low-end torque (5.0 is better, supercharged 5.0 better still), it’s simple (except it’s not), and it won’t be that expensive (flat wrong).

I get your argument but it’s the different feeling driving a big motor. Some of us don’t want high rev and constant shifting but that feeling driving a motor with large balls. It never gets old.

The price on the motor may be surprisingly affordable. Less parts. That was one of the objectives from the start.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I get your argument but it’s the different feeling driving a big motor. Some of us don’t want high rev and constant shifting but that feeling driving a motor with large balls. I never gets old.

The price on the motor may be surprisingly affordable. Less parts. That was one of the objectives from the start.
You don’t think the 7.3 is going to take full advantage of all 10 gears in that a10?

As for price, based on the Chevy e-rod package, it will be about $20k for the engine/trans combo. Tack on another 5-10k for other parts if you do it yourself. And another $10k++ if you pay someone to do it.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
R&T asked the Mustang question to Ford V-8 engine program manager. Said block is too long, will require cutting the firewall.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...9/ford-super-duty-73-v8-engine-details-specs/

I hear that and I hate hammering the engine bay. Some question this though. The bigger question is whether Ford already has an actual Godzilla mule on the road. I used to have connections but not anymore. It can’t see the light of day in a Ford production car. But the motor falls outside the EPA because it’s for a heavy vehicle. Here in Ontario, Canada we no longer have to submit to emissions tests or inspections so I could bolt one in and use it as long as I want. Probably in a number of States too.

The iron block opens possibilities for bigger bores that can’t happen on plasma coated blocks. So many possibilities with this motor! But I could end up driving such a vehicle where I live. Only comes down to cost. And as a V6 owner I have the most reasons to give it a go. Ford says we will see the conversions at SEMA so that will tell all in November.

I thought the R/T article only said the motor would probably need firewall alteration and not Ford? How do they know... If so, Ford has a lousy poker face... :cwl:

I checked and you are correct sir - but it's not a deal breaker. So Ford has - or probably has - a couple of test mules on the road. HELL YAH BROTHER!!!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
... Keep your eye on the tachometer and see where it’s at as you go about your day. Mine is at 1,200 in “D” so if you wanted a more powerful engine, one optimized for 1,200 rpm will give you the most bang for buck experience under your typical driving experience....
So when you start mushing down on the throttle to enjoy all this low-end torque, how do you plan to prevent the a10 from immediately jumping to a better (lower) gear that has more mechanical advantage (albeit at an oh-so-undesirable “high” rpm)?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
So when you start mushing down on the throttle to enjoy all this low-end torque, how do you plan to prevent the a10 from immediately jumping to a better (lower) gear that has more mechanical advantage (albeit at an oh-so-undesirable “high” rpm)?

Actually the processor may just keep it in gear as there is no need to shift as much anymore. Depends how they set up the ECU and transmission for truck use. All this is changeable with a tune and I suspect these will be available in the aftermarket.

I just find it interesting on how much back lash I get in a Mustang forum where modding is the rule rather than the exception. But it would be interesting to see a Mustang set up for low rpm/high torque engine design. Some may like it but the track folk would hate it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
.... Depends how they set up the ECU and transmission for truck use.
You mean like the 3.5 eb in the truck? Let’s see...same gobs of low end torque....same a10 trans...and it still downshifts when you are cruising and you push down on the accelerator. With the a10, there are 9 gears that will accelerate better than 10th when you’re cruising.

All this is changeable with a tune and I suspect these will be available in the aftermarket.
I want to listen in on this conversation with your tuner. “Let me get this straight, you don’t want it to downshift when you give it more throttle.”

I just find it interesting on how much back lash I get in a Mustang forum where modding is the rule rather than the exception. But it would be interesting to see a Mustang set up for low rpm/high torque engine design.
Most on the forum are all in favor of mod’ing but usually the stated goals actually match the path chosen. It actually sounds like you’d enjoy the heck out of a 2.3 eb. They make lots of torque right off idle and fall off hard on top end, a completely different experience from the stock 5.0. I drove one and it was actually really fun zipping around town.

I think folks are steering you you towards factory installed options or available kits is because they are far more likely to actually happen at a reasonable price and reliability than this pipe dream 7.3 you are enammored with.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You mean like the 3.5 eb in the truck? Let’s see...same gobs of low end torque....same a10 trans...and it still downshifts when you are cruising and you push down on the accelerator. With the a10, there are 9 gears that will accelerate better than 10th when you’re cruising.

I want to listen in on this conversation with your tuner. “Let me get this straight, you don’t want it to downshift when you give it more throttle.”

Most on the forum are all in favor of mod’ing but usually the stated goals actually match the path chosen. It actually sounds like you’d enjoy the heck out of a 2.3 eb. They make lots of torque right off idle and fall off hard on top end, a completely different experience from the stock 5.0. I drove one and it was actually really fun zipping around town.

I think folks are steering you you towards factory installed options or available kits is because they are far more likely to actually happen at a reasonable price and reliability than this pipe dream 7.3 you are enammored with.

Fair enough but time will tell. I can almost guarantee folk will set up shop for these conversions as even Ford has admitted as much. Like I said, SEMA should telegraph the viability of this conversion in November. But for what it’s worth it is cool to have a new big block pushrod 2 valve engine to mess around with. I’m almost 60 and missed the heyday of the big block. I can now check that box before they lower me into the ground. The big V8s could handle the three speed and later 4 speed autos. That is the smooth, quiet but high torque motors needed for that application. Ford is stuck with the A10 now so those are the breaks...

It’s like you give up on a dream and - plop - it can now be a reality. Can you criticize those of us that still lust after a new big block. You only live once mate...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Oh - and guys, by “peel out” I mean a real peel out and not some high rev sissy shit stuff...

You mean 1970 Olds 442 455 style burnout. Got ya. :like:
Sponsored