Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Yes, as I said in other thread....compression test, leak down test, dye markers, and cylinder bores looked at with camera. All passed in spec.
Forgot they did do the dye marker test to look for leaks (there was a small amount of oil outside the motor) but found nothing significant.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

Riding Dirty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
'17 White/Blue GT350
So........ 13 failures reported on this poll in about 6 months? Am I reading it correctly? This sounds like a very small amount. I wonder if this includes what I would consider some of the questionable replacements that I have read about?Examples include: the guy that knowing drove his car several miles with no oil in it or the other owner that is on replacement number 3 in the same car?

This data makes me feel better about the VOODOO motor.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Anyone else seeing lower oil pressures on their new motor? Oil temp over 190, idle is exactly 37 psi, hit the gas and 100. Haven't takwn above 6500 rpm yet so don't know if it will get much higher but the old motor was def higher. And I checked the oil level, right on upper hole.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Yes. My new motor at idle is about 40 and soon as I give it any throttle it’s about 95 or so. That’s heavy throttle or just cruising, the same pressure. The first motor did not do that, it only hit high pressure on heavy throttle, on highway cruise it had less pressure. So something is different

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
What was the PSI at highway cruise? Mine is basically always at 100PSI (except at idle). I thought that was SO high it would burst a blood vessel! lol

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
It’s about 95 or so no matter if it’s highway cruise or heavy acceleration. Soon as I stop and idle it’s back down to 40.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Same here. What was it with first engine?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
So........ 13 failures reported on this poll in about 6 months? Am I reading it correctly? This sounds like a very small amount. I wonder if this includes what I would consider some of the questionable replacements that I have read about?Examples include: the guy that knowing drove his car several miles with no oil in it or the other owner that is on replacement number 3 in the same car?

This data makes me feel better about the VOODOO motor.
I was looking at this as well. I think Honeybadgers broken valve train spring was after ~12k track miles as well.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I was looking at this as well. I think Honeybadgers broken valve train spring was after ~12k track miles as well.
Looking at the spread sheet that was created it has (see below) about 60+ engines (2015-2018) replaced in total mostly for oil consumption. See, that's the thing about data, it makes conclusions so much easier to make. It sucks for those that have heavy oil consumption or had a hard fail like me. But! the sky is not falling and all engines are ticking time bombs ; ) Enjoy your car.

https:// then enter drive.google.com/open?id=1OAo0VezzcZEOoaKeS1SyE15uS8osi0zJ_mOuxQSaATw

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
I got the Call today from the Dealer that my Voodoo Engine replacement is complete.
The need to Burp the engine coolant system and check for leaks.

I purchased the 2017 Ruby Red / Black Stripes Track Pack Shelby GT 350 off the Showroom floor on May 10th 2018
it had been sitting since October 2017, the car had 4 miles in the odometer. The Dealer let the Car idle
for over an hour because the battery was dead, since it would not charge they replaced the battery.

The first 2000 miles I had the oil changed. at 4000 mi I noticed the oil level was low, so I put in 3 qts. I continually checked the
oil at every fill up and noticed that I was at least 1qt low at every fill up. then it increased to 1.5 qts then 2 qts.
at 6800 mi, I took it to the dealer and they performed an oil consumption test. After several trips back for checkups they determined

that I was using 1 qt every 120 miles they also noted that Cyl 1 & 2 spark plugs had oil on them. They said that they were waiting
for Fords approval to replace the engine, the service writer said that they never replaced an engine in the GT350 and have never
heard of any issues. I was concerned about this comment and decided to take my car somewhere else.

I went to Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax, VA because I met their Chief Master Tech who is a Shelby expert who has replaced engines in the GT350.

Unfortunately, We had to do the Oil Consumption test again. The test results were the same 1qt every 120 miles.
I dropped the Car off on Monday February, 4th 2019, for them to pull the valve covers and intake, do a borescope for Ford.
It took 1 day after all results were submitted and Ford approved an engine replacement.

This was Thursday February 7th, today February 15th the car is ready.

The Tech said that Cyl 1,2 & 3 were caked with oil, the cyl walls were damaged but 2 and 3 were the worst with actual oil ring fragments.
When I pickup the Car he is going to give me the Borescope images.

I have only Tracked my car twice
The date of manufacture of my car is 9/2017 [H6088]
Completely Stock Engine no mods or catch cans
Oil consumption was 1 quart every 120 miles
35% highway use - I did drive the Car to Erie PA at 1000 miles (700 miles Highway)

I did not drive the Car hard until after my first oil change (2000 mi)

So now that the Engine had been replaced, What should I watch out for? What should I expect?

Engine builders names

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I got the Call today from the Dealer that my Voodoo Engine replacement is complete.
The need to Burp the engine coolant system and check for leaks.

SNIP
Thanks for the information. I wonder whether a little corrosion in the cylinders from sitting caused damage to the oil control rings? I wonder how many of the oil burners are cars that sit a lot?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
GT350-H6088, wow, that sux, or that's great. Depending on whether you're a half empty or half full sorta guy. It seems to me that those rings were the problem of course, and you will now have the updated rings in your new engine. Hopefully, your problem is solved.

Did the fact that the car sat for so long play a role? maybe. But I bet that the idling and short start/stops were much more harmful than sitting. I've seen some tests about engines that sit, and the conclusion is that it can take years, several years, for an engine to be truly dry from sitting because modern oils coat parts long term, at least to enough of a degree to not make sitting for 6 months an issue. It's not like you are starting a fresh motor that has no oil in the passages. Those, you prime first before starting; there is no need to prime a motor that has been run in the last year or so with modern oil, (new or old style engine, but especially not a modern engine). Hell, so many cars now have start/stop on them. They turn off at a light, then they start up and can be run at full force without issue (at least that's what they claim).

Probably just got bad rings, incorrect assembly, or both.

Did you add your name to the excel spreadsheet in Google Docs linked above?