Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
(Note to Mods: Posting this here initially as this is the most viewed sub-forum - please leave here for at least 24hrs before moving to the Issues/TSB sub-forum - thank you).

Yep, you’re all reading the thread title correctly...

Also notice how the document expands the applicable vehicle starting year as far back to 2011, covering prior F150/Mustang 5.0 model year Customer complaints/concerns.

Since this is an official release, I would not expect Customer concerns to get much traction, as this doc will be referenced to the Customer as being “a normal characteristic”... UNLESS the noise the customer is hearing is beyond a “typewriter noise, a tap or tick”.
B7371909-3E53-4575-B15F-37A4F7D7BF1A.jpeg
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks for posting this. Wonder how they determine what is considered abnormal then. I would also like to know what the explanation is for WHY it’s doing it, but thats probably wishful thinking.

Edit: if it started before an oil change is that considered not normal and not covered by this message?

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’m still not upgrading to an engine that has a noticeable “tick”. I’m also not upgrading to an engine that is known for piston slap at 2000rpm. Ford saying after years of this issue that it is normal does not give me any comfort.

The bottom line is that I don’t trust the 3rd Generation Coyote engine and I’m not alone. Ford saying the tick is normal does not change anything in my mind.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
(Note to Mods: Posting this here initially as this is the most viewed sub-forum - please leave here for at least 24hrs before moving to the Issues/TSB sub-forum - thank you).

Yep, you’re all reading the thread title correctly...

Also notice how the document expands the applicable vehicle starting year as far back to 2011, covering prior F150/Mustang 5.0 model year Customer complaints/concerns.

Since this is an official release, I would not expect Customer concerns to get much traction, as this doc will be referenced to the Customer as being “a normal characteristic”... UNLESS the noise the customer is hearing is beyond a “typewriter noise, a tap or tick”.
B7371909-3E53-4575-B15F-37A4F7D7BF1A.jpeg

I agree - keep this in the main forum before burying it in some side forum...

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
I had this tick on my 3v and my Coyote has the same noise.

Sponsored

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Interesting. If nothing else, it’s a statement vs silence.

However, it states a ticking noise “after an engine oil change”. Mine started at 1,300 miles, way before an oil change.

If they would only explain why it’s normal after an oil change, or why it’s normal regardless.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Yep, That’s what Ford 5.0 Powertrain Engineering told me 6 months ago. Also said it was oil cavitation causing the noise.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My ticking started with the factory oil fill at approx. 3-3.5K miles... Been quiet since first oil change @ 4500mi, (5w-30) with Ceratec added. Currently at 9800mi.

It is amazing it took this long to get a response from Ford...That is one big ship with a tiny rudder.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Lol, 8 years later...maybe by 2027 Ford will get around to issuing an official statement on the 2k RPM rattle too.:clap:
By 2027 anyone who has heard a real typewriter will not be driving. ;)

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am not surprised that they say it is not detrimental. I am disappointed that they don't say why it occurs. In the first sentence, they use the term, "some....vehicles" but in the last sentence, they it is an "operating characteristic" of the 5.0. I feel cheated....mine does not have that operating characteristic. Maybe I need a new engine. LOL :crazy:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I am not surprised that they say it is not detrimental. I am disappointed that they don't say why it occurs. In the first sentence, they use the term, "some....vehicles" but in the last sentence, they it is an "operating characteristic" of the 5.0. I feel cheated....mine does not have that operating characteristic. Maybe I need a new engine. LOL :crazy:

It’s normal and not detrimental to Ford if the
motor doesn’t need warranty work until after the warranty expires...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for posting this. Wonder how they determine what is considered abnormal then. I would also like to know what the explanation is for WHY it’s doing it, but thats probably wishful thinking.
Technically, I don't see where that statement from Ford says its normal. It says its not detrimental. May not be detrimental to engine life but neither would sounding like a continuous loud fart. Either is detrimental to enjoyment of the car.

Would be nice if they eventually explain why it happens. Obviously they know or they would have no basis for saying it isn't detrimental. It's definitely a quality issue since part of the definition of quality is consistency and meeting the design targets. So unless the design documents say they should tick or at least say its alright for them to tick, its a quality problem. I have to assume the design does not refer to that or it would not have taken years for Ford to say is not detrimental.

I think Chevy and Dodge should mention this non detrimental sound in their advertising. If being Ford tough sells trucks, I don't see why not being Ford noisy wouldn't sell pony cars.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Technically, I don't see where that statement from Ford says its normal. It says its not detrimental. May not be detrimental to engine life but neither would sounding like a continuous loud fart. Either is detrimental to enjoyment of the car.

Would be nice if they eventually explain why it happens. Obviously they know or they would have no basis for saying it isn't detrimental. It's definitely a quality issue since part of the definition of quality is consistency and meeting the design targets. So unless the design documents say they should tick or at least say its alright for them to tick, its a quality problem. I have to assume the design does not refer to that or it would not have taken years for Ford to say is not detrimental.

I think Chevy and Dodge should mention this non detrimental sound in their advertising. If being Ford tough sells trucks, I don't see why not being Ford noisy wouldn't sell pony cars.

At Ford, engine ticks are normal while everywhere else it is not... Ok excuse me: “not detrimental” - yet... Ooops...

The only reason for putting this out is because the engine issues are starting to surface in the main press sites like Jaopnik.

Sponsored