Sponsored

F-150 Manifold Testing/Journey

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
i regret selling mine. now on the hunt to find a another one. Prices are definitely not the same brand new as they were earlier this year
Yep, they're getting more scarce on eBay. My tuner said he'd supply & fit one for $165 (maybe a little more to adjust my tune), so I'm all locked in for early-mid Oct :)
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Yep, they're getting more scarce on eBay. My tuner said he'd supply & fit one for $165 (maybe a little more to adjust my tune), so I'm all locked in for early-mid Oct :)
Lucky you. That’s not bad at all

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Did anybody ever figure out the deal with how the 2018 manifold will fit? Supposedly there is better performance over the 15-17s.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Did anybody ever figure out the deal with how the 2018 manifold will fit? Supposedly there is better performance over the 15-17s.
If you're talking GT mani's only, it appears so. I haven't heard or read anything about an '18 F150 mani having better performance than the '15-'17's.

I'm really not sure what's changed on the '18 F150 manifolds ... did they go port/direct injection like the Mustang GT?

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Yea, I was referring to the 18 F150 mani. If anybody knew the difference between that and the previous years. Tried finding some info in the f150 forums but didn't find much

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
One thing I didn’t really see in the chatter was this idea/mod also started in an effort to cut HEAT. On longer driving stints (roadcourse) I was having trouble staying cool when I was shifting at 7500 to keep the power up. Once the f150 mani was on, no more over heating problems!

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Installed it last night, pretty simple. It took about an hour. First impressions are definitely worth the 60 bucks I paid for it. Best way to describe the daily driving aspect of it is when I shift it feels like there's no power drop off. I shift around 3-4k in town. It feels like I'm just cruising forward without argument from the engine. A/C on is also not as noticeable as it was before. I need new rears, they were already losing traction easily so it's hard to say if the butt dyno feels the added TQ because I break loose flooring it in 1st, flooring it in 2nd and shifting to 3rd easily.

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
You'll find too that the engine just seems more relaxed, even at the same revs as before. With the GT mani it seems like it's screaming more so than with the F150. The F150 mani just takes it all in stride if you know what I mean, while the GT mani makes it seem like the car is working harder.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You'll find too that the engine just seems more relaxed, even at the same revs as before. With the GT mani it seems like it's screaming more so than with the F150. The F150 mani just takes it all in stride if you know what I mean, while the GT mani makes it seem like the car is working harder.
have you had it dyno'd or tuned?

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Dyno'd no. The tune is the same tune I had with the GT mani. No changes req'd per 2 tuners known on this forum going to F150 mani.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Im just using the can'd 91 tune on my bdx. But it makes sense a dyno tune with this manifold would help it reach its peak power. just curious what that peak is since just the swap alone yield 20-40 ft/lbs under the curve.

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Sounds great! Curious, does it pull to the same top end as the OEM GT manifold, or does it fall off a little earlier?

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Sounds great! Curious, does it pull to the same top end as the OEM GT manifold, or does it fall off a little earlier?
By the dynos i've looked at it does drop off around the same as a stock 12-17 mani.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
To be honest I rarely need to or go past 6500 rpm so I can't say for sure … the graphs posted earlier show it drops around then so I'll assume it does but the benefits of where I drive 99.9% of the time far outweigh the loss I'm experiencing on the 0.1%.

If your % split is skewed differently then you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth the effort.
Sponsored