Sponsored

Coyote intake manifold testing

longbowsvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP magnetic metallic
OK guys I've been doing a little research and I want to do some dyno testing on a ported 2015+ F150 5.0 and a ported 2015+ mustang intake and TB setup. I have talked to Air flow solutions and they seem to do a really good job porting the coyote stuff. I am really curious to see how much torque a ported truck intake would make on the better flowing mustang 5.0 engine. I found an intake comparison on a 2015 F150 where they tested the stock manifold, mustang manifold, boss and cobra jet. The stock F150 manifold made more torque than the other manifolds and only lost 4hp over the mustang manifold so I am curious to see if porting would help make up for that HP loss. What do you guys think? Any interest in seeing the results?
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Love this sort of thing. This isn't the first time performance enthusiasts have looked to truck parts to help with their car. The results are usually interesting to say the least from my perspective.

I'm totally interested in hearing what you have proposed. It is going to be one heck of a journey. First things that come to mind before going down this road:
  • Fitment: how different is the F150 intake to the Mustang GT intake? Will the stock parts fit (braces and such)?
  • Will routing (wires, tubing, etc) be the same? If not, what will it take to get it to work?
  • Cost and availability

I'm sure there are more questions to be asked but this is what comes off the top of my head. I'm not a Ford expert so I'm not sure how parts match up in the blue oval world :)

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How high did they rev the F150 in the test? Rpms will play a big factor...

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
For some reason I thought the intake manifold was plastic composite on our engines??

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Does the truck IM have the same style IMRCs?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Dis gonna be good

:popcorn:

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I like how the boss 302 manifold lost less torque vs the stock GT manifold at peak. They needed to rev that one higher though like they did the CJ. Stock F-150 manifold looks just like the GT350 manifold but with longer runners.

OP
OP

longbowsvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They F150 intake does in fact have the charge motion control plates and they look identical in setup to the mustang intake. Looking at the dyno sheet from the article it appears that peak power comes in lower with both intakes on the truck engine. I'm sure this is due to the heads, cam profiles, exhaust manifolds and the timing of the charge motion control plates opening. The F150 intake appears to be plentiful as a new take off part on EBay, looking at one for 99 dollars plus shipping. Air flow research is 250-300 for porting the manifold and throttle body. Or if you wanted to as an option I'm sure the Gt350 TB will bolt up to this manifold with an adapter plate as well. As far as fitment they did not mention having to modify anything to swap the mustang intake onto the F150 in the article and the manifolds look almost identical but have different part numbers.

Sponsored

new302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT
I'd like to see this comparison also.

OP
OP

longbowsvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=23676]Mustang_Lou[/MENTION] you are correct both intakes are a composite material but can still be ported. If you check out Air Flow Research on FB they have lots of before and after pictures of manifolds they have ported. Looks like those guys do some great work.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
They F150 intake does in fact have the charge motion control plates and they look identical in setup to the mustang intake. Looking at the dyno sheet from the article it appears that peak power comes in lower with both intakes on the truck engine. I'm sure this is due to the heads, cam profiles, exhaust manifolds and the timing of the charge motion control plates opening. The F150 intake appears to be plentiful as a new take off part on EBay, looking at one for 99 dollars plus shipping. Air flow research is 250-300 for porting the manifold and throttle body. Or if you wanted to as an option I'm sure the Gt350 TB will bolt up to this manifold with an adapter plate as well. As far as fitment they did not mention having to modify anything to swap the mustang intake onto the F150 in the article and the manifolds look almost identical but have different part numbers.
It looks taller than a GT350 manifold because longer runners I wonder if it will clear the stock hood without cutting the hood?

OP
OP

longbowsvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it will for sure clear the hood as it's not nearly as tall as a cobra jet but I don't know if it will clear the strut brace on the PP cars. I am currently deployed so I won't be able to do any testing until I get back to the states. I'm going to see if my cousin [MENTION=15682]sandeale[/MENTION] wants to do a fitment check on the manifold in the mean time and maybe do some dyno pulls. Wonder if it's even worth testing in stock form or just go straight to the ported version. He also has the gt350 TB on his car so he could test it with that installed as well probably to see if any gains are to be had over a ported stock TB.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think it will for sure clear the hood as it's not nearly as tall as a cobra jet but I don't know if it will clear the strut brace on the PP cars. I am currently deployed so I won't be able to do any testing until I get back to the states. I'm going to see if my cousin [MENTION=15682]sandeale[/MENTION] wants to do a fitment check on the manifold in the mean time and maybe do some dyno pulls. Wonder if it's even worth testing in stock form or just go straight to the ported version. He also has the gt350 TB on his car so he could test it with that installed as well probably to see if any gains are to be had over a ported stock TB.
If I rembember right he saw big low end and midrange torque losses with the GT350 throttle body vs the stock one on his car last time he dynoed.
Sponsored