F-150 Manifold Testing/Journey

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
No issues at all with any of those points of concern you mention. You just stay with traffic pulling away at a light without even thinking about it now whereas before you'd have Corolla's pulling away from you unless you gave it heavier throttle.
Is this on the stock tune, Livernois, or both?
Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
For those of you running the truck Mani, how's the driveability on the street (apart from the boost in torque)?

Any hunting idle? Any random stalling? Is it OEM like tip-in and driveability at all RPMs and load points? Flat spots?

I just want to ensure I retain OEM like driveability at any RPM/load/engine temperature.
As far as my combo is concerned, my car drives exactly as stock. With my "truck" intake equipped '16 GT, my car has absolutely no surging, stalling, hesitation, or drivability problems of any kind!

Now, I installed my "truck" intake AFTER I had finalized my Flex-Fuel tune with Brandon from LUND using the stock GT intake manifold.

When doing data-logs for Brandon at LUND, and going through the process of nailing down my FF tune, I was always using the GT manifold. And once my tune was finalized by LUND, my car was and is running great at all RPM's and throttle inputs from starting, to idle through the entire RPM range.

Then I installed the "truck" intake onto my car, did several data-logs including, 1. a "rev" log to 1500, 2500, 3500, and 4500rpm, 2. 10 minute idle, 3. 10 minute cruise at 70mph, and 4. two 3rd gear WOT pulls to 7200 rpm. I sent those logs to Brandon to review to see if the "truck" intake required any tweaks to the FF tune. Brandon at LUND said that my FF tune required NO CHANGES after installing the "truck" intake manifold.

Again, my car runs great!! It pulls strong in the midrange, and I have no problem taking the engine to 7200 rpm although I rarely take it to or past 6500 rpm.

Keep in mind that the 2015 -2017 F-150 intake manifold is a direct swap away from the stock GT manifold. ALL the necessary vacuum/IMRC lines and connections are exactly the same as the GT manifold and they operate in exactly the same electrical parameters as the GT manifold, so the ECM is sending/receiving the same electrical signals/values to/from the F-150 intake (once installed correctly) as it had been with the GT manifold.

The F-150 intake manifold simply has a longer runner path than the GT manifold, which allows the intake charge to build velocity on its way to and past the intake valve. This is where the extra torque comes from vs. the GT manifold. Just like in the old days, when guys were installing dual-plane, high rise, aluminum intake manifolds on their muscle cars.

Last edited:

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Thanks for all the feedback... good to hear there weren't any driveability issues going to the F-150 mani, and no additional "tweaks" to the tune was required :)

Yes, it can be quite embarrassing when these 4 Cyl Corollas take off quicker than you from the lights, and you need to rev hard to overtake them! LOL! I prefer effortless acceleration on the street, and not have to rev up past 4.5K just to pass other cars.

Don't get me wrong, the car is a thrill to drive above ~4.5K+ RPM, but sometimes you don't feel like revving it past that just to get a leap on traffic.

My tuner said he has a 2017 F-150 mani in stock, so I might get it done in the coming fortnight. Might hold onto my GT manifold just in case I want to revert back, or get it ported or something.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for all the feedback... good to hear there weren't any driveability issues going to the F-150 mani, and no additional "tweaks" to the tune was required :)

Yes, it can be quite embarrassing when these 4 Cyl Corollas take off quicker than you from the lights, and you need to rev hard to overtake them! LOL! I prefer effortless acceleration on the street, and not have to rev up past 4.5K just to pass other cars.

Don't get me wrong, the car is a thrill to drive above ~4.5K+ RPM, but sometimes you don't feel like revving it past that just to get a leap on traffic.

My tuner said he has a 2017 F-150 mani in stock, so I might get it done in the coming fortnight. Might hold onto my GT manifold just in case I want to revert back, or get it ported or something.
Exactly … I don't even think about it anymore (low end being a bit weak) which means it's working. And it's STILL a thrill past 4k. Definitely keep the GT intake in case you want to revert back to sell it. And for sure, get a tune as well.

Sponsored

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Im in the same boat. I miss my low end. Only complaint about this car. I might pick up a f150 manifold and try porting it.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Has anyone posted a graph comparing average HP and Tq of the F150 vs the stock manifold?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
On page 20, post #392 clearly shows the F-150 manifold added impressive increases in HP/TQ from 2250 to 6000 rpm with peaks of +40 hp and +45 lb/ft of torque.

Wrap your head around that... +40hp and +45 ft/lbs for less than $100!

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
As I said somewhere here, the F150 mani is probably a nudge ahead of the tune I have for best mod. Throw in the $ value into the equation it's more than a nudge ahead.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
i regret selling mine. now on the hunt to find a another one. Prices are definitely not the same brand new as they were earlier this year

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Does anybody have before/after 1/4 mile data? Thx

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Does anybody have before/after 1/4 mile data? Thx
Good question. It'd be interesting to see the difference between stock IM and F-150 IM.

Afterall, torque is the most important factor for rapid acceleration. Max RPM might be the limiting factor if forced to shift at ~6.5K RPM, as opposed to ~8K shifts with the 2018/CJ IM's where they shine the most.
Sponsored