Sponsored

Not impressed with steeda clutch spring

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I found the same thing when I tried their 35lb spring. Quite a bit of play uptop. I switched to a 60lb spring from Tacoma springs. The end play is gone and the pedal is a tad easier to push but not as easy as the 185lb stock spring. But just like you, I still can't feel the engagement point. Its all muscle memory now.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The issue with having no spring is the pedal will keep itself off of the top switch. This has the potential to cancel cruise control (and trigger no-lift-shift limits if you have a Ford Performance Power Pack.
Honestly when I first bought the car I tried no spring then read on the forum what youre saying. So I got kinda scared and bought the steeda spring and drove that way for over a year. Then one day I decided I still didnt like the clutch pedal feel and read that a lot of people dont use a spring at all so I removed mine and have been much happier without it. Right away my shifts became smoother. I have no play at the top of the pedal. I rarely use cruise control and I will not be getting a ford performance tune because of NLS and simply because I want to do headers and maybe intake down the road. But anyway, I dont ever plan to put the steeda spring back in.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
I personally love this spring because it makes the clutch feel like my '96 cobra did. I want resistance and being able to feel the clutch engaging. The stock spring was awful and took away from the enjoyment of working three pedals. Steeda spring is a must if you have driven 2004 mustangs or older and are used to that feel.
I agree...sure, I could get used to stock '17 but, driving a '98 cobra and '67 hi-po as other rides, I like a little resistance and friction point. the Steeda spring gives that feel. I also have not had an issue with max pedal return as some have noted including a friend of mine, who was not topping out on return. most buyers have not had an issue.

I did notice Steeda referred to an issue being possible with Ford Performance Power Packs' No-Lift Shift which, can also be sketchy with the oem spring for certain driving styles. overall, I prefer the Steeda but would probably go stock with a Power Pack download. enjoy dman

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I have to say I'm loving my Steeda spring. It takes away some of that anxiety when I was clutching. The only time I didn't was in sub-zero Celsius temps when fluids were cold and I ground my gears a tad

Other than that love the spring!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not much to add that other people already didn't say except that I bought my car used. Drove it a few days and hated the clutch feel and bought a generic 35# spring. I went to install it, and it turns out it already had the steeda spring in it. So I yanked the spring and while not perfect, it's better than the steeda. I don't have the stock spring, but I have a feeling I'd hate it. In general I don't like hydraulic clutches, I much preferred the cable clutch in my fox body, but everyone is different.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I much prefer the Steeda spring. I guess everybody’s different. Otherwise this forum would be boring.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Some love it ... some not so much, can't win them all :wink:

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
I'd like who ever says it's a 5 minute simple install to come over, crawl into my drivers side floorboard and prove it. I bailed on it until I finish losing weight, fresh out of a Yoga class and feel like figuring out how this is so simple
YMMV

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like who ever says it's a 5 minute simple install to come over, crawl into my drivers side floorboard and prove it. I bailed on it until I finish losing weight, fresh out of a Yoga class and feel like figuring out how this is so simple
YMMV
Hardest part is removing the stock spring, but it is about 5 mins with a vice grips and the right position.

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Hardest part is removing the stock spring, but it is about 5 mins with a vice grips and the right position.
Yes I experienced that. Vice grips come in several different sizes and I find the Steeda instructions lacking. Last time I checked their instructions and video show how to work on a non GT350 install.

What size of needle nose vice grips seem to work? I tried the mid size but couldn't get a grip. I brought home (from work) a smaller pair of vise grips and hope that they make it easier

My problem is position for sure. I wasn't able to get my upper body (shoulders) inside and still be able to use both hands (at the same time), see and............

Have no fear, I will persevere and Get-er-done, just saying it's not the piece of cake implied, at least not for me.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I experienced that. Vice grips come in several different sizes and I find the Steeda instructions lacking. Last time I checked their instructions and video show how to work on a non GT350 install.

What size of needle nose vice grips seem to work? I tried the mid size but couldn't get a grip. I brought home f(from work) a smaller pair and hope that they make it easier

My problem is position for sure. I wasn't able to get my upper body (shoulders) inside and still be able to use both hands (at the same time), see and............

Have no fear, I will persevere and Get-er-done, just saying it's not the piece of cake implied, at least not for me.
Small or midsized needle nosed kind. Close it up enough to compress the middle coils close together while pushing the clutch in. It'll slide off the pin after that.
Sponsored