Sponsored

Not impressed with steeda clutch spring

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Am I the only one who was pretty let down after installing the steeda clutch spring? There is a lot of play at the top of the clutch pedal now. The resistance does not feel night and day and it feels like virtually the whole length of the pedal travel that there is resistance that the clutch is engaging/disengaging. In other words it did not make it easier to find the friction point because it's most of the pedal travel. The clutch has 30k on it so I don't think it's the issue. I think the steeda part is just not as great as people have made it out to be. But maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.
Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Am I the only one who was pretty let down after installing the steeda clutch spring? There is a lot of play at the top of the clutch pedal now. The resistance does not feel night and day and it feels like virtually the whole length of the pedal travel that there is resistance that the clutch is engaging/disengaging. In other words it did not make it easier to find the friction point because it's most of the pedal travel. The clutch has 30k on it so I don't think it's the issue. I think the steeda part is just not as great as people have made it out to be. But maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.
The only car I have to compare it to is my Subaru Forester so my stock clutch feel is excellent in my opinion. I have no plans to change the spring. It seems to be one of those personal preference things.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The vast majority see a great improvement - unfortunately, it is a feel thing & some may not see the results others have seen.

For being a small investment ... not much lost or gained.

Best Regards,

TJ

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
The clutch has 30k on it so I don't think it's the issue.
I'm assuming you drove it for ~30k before putting the Steeda spring in? I'd guess that's why you're not noticing that much of a difference. You had already gotten so used to the stock one that putting in an aftermarket (or just removing it) would probably feel weird if anything. The stock spring, as I know and drove on it, is supposed to "assist" in pushing down the clutch, but the way it's set up makes it very uneven in that it helps to push the clutch in past 40% or so, but as you're releasing it, there's a point where the assist spring pushes back to bring the clutch back up.

When I was first learning on the '18 (I hadn't driven a manual in a while) it was giving me trouble because of that sudden push right before the bite point. I know they mention that type of thing happening in some places that sell the springs.

For myself and what it's supposed to do, the major thing I noticed was a much more even and steady clutch return as I brought my foot up. I didn't have to "prepare" my foot/leg for the sudden extra "push" from the stock assist spring before the bite. And I really didn't notice having to put more effort into depressing the clutch either, which is sort of weird given the discrepancy in spring ratings (I think stock is like 180 and Steeda is 30ish?).

So I think, at least from what I noticed, is that this might be something to help out folks who are unfamiliar with the Mustang clutch, or for those that just like a smoother return. Maybe check your install, could be in crooked or possibly a busted holder?

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm assuming you drove it for ~30k before putting the Steeda spring in? I'd guess that's why you're not noticing that much of a difference. You had already gotten so used to the stock one that putting in an aftermarket (or just removing it) would probably feel weird if anything. The stock spring, as I know and drove on it, is supposed to "assist" in pushing down the clutch, but the way it's set up makes it very uneven in that it helps to push the clutch in past 40% or so, but as you're releasing it, there's a point where the assist spring pushes back to bring the clutch back up.

When I was first learning on the '18 (I hadn't driven a manual in a while) it was giving me trouble because of that sudden push right before the bite point. I know they mention that type of thing happening in some places that sell the springs.

For myself and what it's supposed to do, the major thing I noticed was a much more even and steady clutch return as I brought my foot up. I didn't have to "prepare" my foot/leg for the sudden extra "push" from the stock assist spring before the bite. And I really didn't notice having to put more effort into depressing the clutch either, which is sort of weird given the discrepancy in spring ratings (I think stock is like 180 and Steeda is 30ish?).

So I think, at least from what I noticed, is that this might be something to help out folks who are unfamiliar with the Mustang clutch, or for those that just like a smoother return. Maybe check your install, could be in crooked or possibly a busted holder?
Actually just bought the car when it had 29k. Then had a new short block put in under warranty. I've had it 2 months but 3 weeks of that it was at the dealer. I've driven lots of different manual cars bmws, toyotas, chevrolet, subaru, porsche and I though the mustangs was pretty good! But for the price and all the praise I just had to try the steeda spring. So it assists in the feel when the pedal is on the way back? Maybe that makes more sense to me sense I was looking to feel a lighter push down. The return feels about the same pressure with it almost all of it seemingly feeling like the friction point. I'll give it more time for myself to adjust to it. I've only driven it with maybe 60 miles on the steeda spring but just expected a night and day difference. It doesn't feel bad. I want to make that clear. It just feels about the same as before.

Sponsored

15PPBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
I personally love this spring because it makes the clutch feel like my '96 cobra did. I want resistance and being able to feel the clutch engaging. The stock spring was awful and took away from the enjoyment of working three pedals. Steeda spring is a must if you have driven 2004 mustangs or older and are used to that feel.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
there are several posts about this subject. Steeda spring or no spring.
It seems I'm in the minority here as I have stated many times that removing only makes the pedal slightly harder to push. The "engagement feel" didn't change one bit for me.
those that can somehow feel the difference, I guess it's a good thing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm with you when it comes to clutch feel. No matter what I had (stock spring, steeda or no spring) I could not really "feel" when the clutch engaged. The only difference between those 3 was the amount of effort it took to depress the clutch pedal, which based on that the Steeda and no spring were definitely harder. Since I felt absolutely nothing else besides pressure, I decided to stay with the stock one. If I'm not going to get this "feeling" of when the clutch engages and disengages (which I admit would be nice) I might as well have something that's easy to work.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I like the feel a lot better than stock. Can't think of a another $30 part that will make near the difference.

But if you like the stock clutch feel, don't change it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Am I the only one who was pretty let down after installing the steeda clutch spring? There is a lot of play at the top of the clutch pedal now.
I haven't heard about a bunch of play before and haven't seen members using the spring or Steeda respond to that part of the post. ???

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I like the change. The clutch feel we were given wasn't great and this spring makes it tolerable to me. You'll adapt. The slight travel at the top issue I have, but I stretched the spring a little and that solved it. Not all cars have that issue, most don't actually.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I haven't heard about a bunch of play before and haven't seen members using the spring or Steeda respond to that part of the post. ???
I came to do just that...

It almost sounds like the spring isn't correctly in the perch.

The clutch assist spring is an over-center type spring that serves two functions.
1) During clutch disengagement, after compressing, the spring assists your foot in pushing the pedal to the floor. In my opinion Ford completely overdid this and the spring disconnects your foot from the clutch. I'm sure this was due to a lot of "the clutch is too heavy" complaints, but the thing has 400 lbft of torque... it's going to be heavy(er)!

2) During travel, the spring pushes the pedal out against the top-side clutch switch. This is what makes me think your spring isn't in the perches correctly. There should be no play at the top if a spring is present.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I just had to try the steeda spring. So it assists in the feel when the pedal is on the way back? Maybe that makes more sense to me sense I was looking to feel a lighter push down.
Wow....no, the purpose behind the heavy stock spring was to assist more in pushing the clutch down as well as the return. The spring isn't a one-way deal; if you operated it a few times while underneath changing it out you'll notice this. It sits up-and-down so its max compression point is something like 30% of the way down, so the spring assists both in the return of the clutch (keeps it up...so to speak so the pedal isn't laying flat which can lead to the ECU thinking you're trying to push the clutch and/or blowing your throw-out bearing, though I don't know if this is true or just speculation because they don't want people removing it altogether?), as well as pushing it down all the way to the floor.

So with the stock spring, yes it made it easier to clutch in, but as it returned, it would compress the spring to max just before the bite point, and then as you're looking for the bite point the spring would decompress and give it a little jolt/extra push during the clutch-out procedure, which promptly leads to a lot of stalling for folks unfamiliar with manuals (/shameful wave) or the s550 clutch in general. So the biggest change going to the Steeda spring (or a removal or another company's spring) is that the lighter spring is supposed to make the return (clutch out procedure) much smoother, especially if you're unfamiliar with it. And that leads into the idea of making it "easier to find the bite point" because you're getting a smoother clutch-out without the heavier spring pushing it past that point.

Edit: Mine has a tiny bit of play at the top, like if I tap it with my foot there's the slightest hint of wiggle (or is that the crappy pedal pad they have on there?). Truthfully it may have been like that stock too since I don't touch it unless I'm shifting. If you have a lot of slop up top something is wrong.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
Wow....no, the purpose behind the heavy stock spring was to assist more in pushing the clutch down as well as the return. The spring isn't a one-way deal; if you operated it a few times while underneath changing it out you'll notice this. It sits up-and-down so its max compression point is something like 30% of the way down, so the spring assists both in the return of the clutch (keeps it up...so to speak so the pedal isn't laying flat which can lead to the ECU thinking you're trying to push the clutch and/or blowing your throw-out bearing, though I don't know if this is true or just speculation because they don't want people removing it altogether?), as well as pushing it down all the way to the floor.

So with the stock spring, yes it made it easier to clutch in, but as it returned, it would compress the spring to max just before the bite point, and then as you're looking for the bite point the spring would decompress and give it a little jolt/extra push during the clutch-out procedure, which promptly leads to a lot of stalling for folks unfamiliar with manuals (/shameful wave) or the s550 clutch in general. So the biggest change going to the Steeda spring (or a removal or another company's spring) is that the lighter spring is supposed to make the return (clutch out procedure) much smoother, especially if you're unfamiliar with it. And that leads into the idea of making it "easier to find the bite point" because you're getting a smoother clutch-out without the heavier spring pushing it past that point.

Edit: Mine has a tiny bit of play at the top, like if I tap it with my foot there's the slightest hint of wiggle (or is that the crappy pedal pad they have on there?). Truthfully it may have been like that stock too since I don't touch it unless I'm shifting. If you have a lot of slop up top something is wrong.

I have a tiny bit of slop at the top too, nothing major.